Khan al Khalili

Charity0000

Does anyone know until what time this is open? Is it safe to go at night?

Many guides I have contacted have included a tour of the Khan al Khalili as part of the tour of Cairo, but I am not sure why I need a guide to take me through a market.. Am I wrong or do I need a guide for this?

Anyone have highlights of the market or things not to miss??

THANKS!!

Does anyone know until what time this is open? Is it safe to go at night?

Many guides I have contacted have included a tour of the Khan al Khalili as part of the tour of Cairo, but I am not sure why I need a guide to take me through a market.. Am I wrong or do I need a guide for this?

Anyone have highlights of the market or things not to miss??

THANKS!!

hi.,

The Market is open till at least 10pm.....and Ive been there from 9am in the morning...earlier or later I cant confirm...I can tell you though that you are perfectly safe there at night..(taking into account all normal precautions of course) .in fact the atmosphere at night is much different than during the day...i wouldnt bother with taking a guide there....cant see the point.... One of the pleasures about the market is getting lost there on your own. Just waunder its not to big that you will be lost forever!

Youll find the market is divided by a small road..(opposite end of the market from the Mosque) ., cross this and youll find the market for the locals...away from the tourist areas, Its changed over the years slowly...but it is still where a lot of locals go for there everyday produce.

For shopping in the market., have a quick look in your hotel shop first to get an idea of prices, they will not bargain....but they will in the market...in fact it is an artform that the Caironese take quite seriously!

Crystal can be agood buy in Cairo....

• 3 weeks later...

We spent a few hours (on 2 days) there in October and had a lot of fun. I am not sure why anyone would need a guide (I guess some want guides for anything) but you are talking about an entire neigborhood that is crowded with stalls throughout a large network of allys. The fun of the place is to simply wander around and enjoy the entire atmosphere (the shopping is not great..but fun). The tourists tend to go there during the early afternoon, and if you do this you will surely be hassled by the sellers, hawkers, etc. The locals go during the late afternoon into the evening (after work) and since the place is really "jumping" at these hours, nobody will bother you (they are all too busy). The bigges hassle we had was getting a taxi when we wanted to go back to our hotel, because there was a lot of competition for the cabs. But, eventually we found a taxi on the streets. Its all so much fun.

Hank

You say it is included as part of the tour of Cairo. If you are talking about a shore excursion, how else would you do it? When we went there, our guide just settled down in a coffee shop and pointed the way to us. So, no, you don't need a guide for the market itself. But if it isn't part of your Cairo excursion, how will you get there?

Now if you are staying independently in Cairo, that is different. Then you don't need the guide.

It is a truly amazing experience!

Archived