Aft balcony-the way to go?

I am looking at the Explorer for Dec. 2005. There are 2 aft balconies available on Deck 9. Are they different then regular balconies? More balcony space? Is there much movement or vibaration? Are they covered? I have never had a balcony but know that the aft balconies are much sought after on the Grand Princess but did not know about RCL. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am wanting to book soon.

Thanks,

Meredith

Meredith71:

We have been in aft stateroom 1694 (Deck 10) on three different voyager class ships...Explorer, Navigator and recently Mariner.

We have not noticed any movement or vibration at all in that stateroom, nor was there a problem with soot. The balconies are larger and offer room for two recliners, two chairs and a table.

V&M

I had a aft cabin on deck 8 on the Voayger and loved it. Booked an aft cabin on deck 10 on the adventure this October. The views are panoramic, the baclony is huge with lounge chairs and a table, and I felt no vibration or anything like that. It is a long walk out but the dining rooms are in the back of the ship anyways. I highly recommend it.

Balcony size will be around 12 x 15 feet. We had two chairs, a round table, and three lounge chairs. Room 1390 on Navigator. Some vibration from time to time, some slight motion but a very quiet area and great view while you are sailing without the wind. Would I do it again? Absolutely....

Thanks for the replies. I have another question. We were originally going for a promenade room but now thinking about the aft balcony. Is it really worth the price difference or will the promenade room be great too?

Thanks,

Meredith

I have to agree with cruisinEllen, we didn't care for the aft at all. But, if the choice were between a promenade cabin or the balcony, I would go for the balcony. It adds so much to your enjoyment! I can't sail without one. We went back to a suite on the bump this time because I found the aft balconies too noisy and your view is out not down. If you look down, all you see are the balconies below you. I felt like I was imposing on the people below us.

Well i'm hoping that they are the way to go because as of 1 day ago my Hubby booked us on the Voyager in an aft balcony on deck 9. This will be our second cruise on this ship and we can't wait. Our 1st balcony was a guarantee and to our surprise we got a bump balcony on deck 8. It was cabin 8318 right in the middle so needless to say we had a great time. Happy Cruising :)

~~Debbie~~

It really depends on which aft balcony you have. Not all of them look down on other balconies. Ours on the corner of deck 10 (1688) looked down at the water and was great! I've also sailed in a promenade-view cabin and absolutely LOVED it! We were midship on deck 7 (cabin 7283). Perfect location for a spectacular view of the promenade and people-watching. I'd take a promenade view over an inside and maybe even over a normal window, but a balcony over anything. I had the promenade view cabin on a Canadian itinerary when it was foggy and cold outside so I wasn't missing anything by not having a balcony that week! All the fun was inside the ship and I had the best view for that! ;)

Thank goodness for cruisers like cruizinellen and pinkrosesdeb, eh, Bonnie Voyager? More aft cabins for us!

Frankly, I think that the long walk back to your aft balcony cabin is a MAJOR plus -

1. no extra foot traffic: only the people who "belong" back there GO back there.

2. EXTRA EXERCISE. You're on a cruise! What do you do? EAT! The walking back to your cabin balances it all out. :)

Carol

In just 3 more weeks I'll be in Cabin 1688 on Navigator! It will be my first balcony and will probably spoil me for anything else! For you experienced balconiers, will this be a sliding or pull open door? Will I need to bring something to hold it open at night?

I got spoiled on the Carnival Pride and Legend with my corner aft cabin that had a forty-one foot wrap around balcony and now I look for the aft cabins. I have a JS booked on deck seven of the Navigator and am looking forward to it. Everyone that I have spoken with has been very positive of this location. I also like to feel the movement of the ship and hear the ships wake.

We are totally sold on the aft cabins on the voyager-class ships. We sail in Nov. on the Explorer corner aft 7688.It is rumored to be one of the largest balconies on the ship. We love the lack of foot traffic in the hallway and the extra steps are good for the waistline! If you haven't sailed in the aft you should give it a try...." Once you go aft...you'll never go back!!"

Happy Sailing.....Hi-C

We are totally sold on the aft cabins on the voyager-class ships. We sail in Nov. on the Explorer corner aft 7688.It is rumored to be one of the largest balconies on the ship. We love the lack of foot traffic in the hallway and the extra steps are good for the waistline! If you haven't sailed in the aft you should give it a try...." Once you go aft...you'll never go back!!" Happy Sailing.....Hi-C

Yep, largest balcony on the ship. LOVE it. Been on the Explorer twice. Been in cabin 7688 both times. :D Going on Voyager on Sunday. Gonna be in cabin 7388. Gotta have it. Was just looking at RCCL's website.......Navigator on 12/24 has 7388 available. :D :D :D

Carol

Is deck 7 the only ones with larger balconies on the aft or do all the decks have larger ones?? Is one deck better than the others?

Thanks again for all the replies. I am booking my first RCL cruise tomorrow and will probably be getting one of these balconies (my first balcony too). I have been on Princess twice. Looking forward to Voyager class.

Meredith, all aft cabins have larger balconies than their counterparts in the same category on the sides of the ship. There are other threads currently discussing which deck aft is best. Many people say that you have to be UP, on Deck 9 or 10. I have had no problem with Deck 7, as you can see from my post above. Bonnie Voyager has the definitive page of photos of aft cabins and their balconies.

http://community.webshots.com/album/48328219CtbGLi/0

Carol

Thanks Carol for the link. That is helping me make up my mind. We are getting 2 rooms. Do the balconies connect? Door open in between? Is the corner better even with 1 door as opposed to one in with sliding doors??

Sorry for all the questions. Like I said, it is my first balcony.

Thanks,

Meredith

• 2 months later...

I have been reading about these aft cabins. We just booked this cabin and wondered if it was nice? Are all cabins the same on all the voyager class? For instance is this cabin the same size and balcony the same as the same cabin on explorer? Thanks, this is our first aft cabin.

I havent even gotten to the end of this thread yet-......but I will bet that you have gotten many recommendations to go for the AFT BALCONY...by all means!

Its much much larger- square rather than narrow rectanlge that yu get on side balconies.....

The only diff is the quality of the motion you feel being in the back of the ship.

Yu get a fantastic view in the AFT.......sunsets. everything!

Ive sailed VOS and most recently Mariner and had the same room both times...

aft 1694 deck 10..........an excellent choice!

You wont regret it!!!!

ENJOY!

Archived