Denali Questions

sheltie0

I am looking for information about the Denali Park land tour offered by Carnival Cruise lines.

1. Where did you stay?

2. What was the park tour like?

3. Did you have free time while there?

4. What food options were there?

5. When did you arrive in Anchorage?

6. When did you arrive in Whittier?

TIA

You are spending a lot of money for what is essentially a useless tour. Carnival land tours cost around $2400 for two people as an add on to the cruise. For that you get four overnights, the really, really short Denali tour, the train, and a flight from Fairbanks to Anchorage. If you wanted to do the same tour on your own, you would save a bundle, plus have a lot of freedom to go where you want and do what you want. Skip Fairbanks unless you have at least 5-6 days to spend. Stop at Eklutna Lake for a hike and picnic, explore historic Talkeetna, go salmon fishing at one of the creeks, take the long shuttle instead of the short tour (better chance at wildlife sightings), eat at interesting places or stop at grocery stores and dine al fresco with a view of Denali...you get the idea.

On your own:

Four overnights - $800

Rental car for four days - 250

Gas for rental car - 100

Shuttle in Denali (the good tour) - 70

Total ---- 1220 (half Carnival's price)

Not being herded like sheep - priceless

Four overnights - $800

Gas for rental car - 100

I love it!:)

Four overnights - $800

Gas for rental car - 100

I love it!:)

And those prices are the max. I am spending $160 for a week long car rental and it was going for $275 for airport pick up.

And if you take the shuttle bus even further into the park rather than the "tour" bus, you get to go 85 miles and it costs less than $35.

Where I usually stay at Denali (McKinley Creekside Cabins) you can get a nice cabin for well under $200/night.

Granted, the transfer costs between Anchorage and Whittier were not included in the costs mentioned above. Still, if you don't mind doing even minimal planning, you can do much better on your own.

If you don't want to drive, you could always take the train. It requires more planning to be at Denali without a car, but not impossible. You could even rent a car once you get to Denali if you want/need to and still come out ahead - financially, with more time to see what you want, and a better Denali experience.

However, if someone wants the Carnival land tour, who am I to stop them?

http://www.toursaver.com also usually offers a 2 for 1 coupon, with lodging- 2 nights and the train. This also can offer savings.

If Denali Park is a priority, a cruisetour is not the way to do it. At the most, they only get a little past the half way mark in. The park shuttle buses are the bargain of Alaska. :) My min. distance in is Fish Creek. Plenty to do in Denali Park http://www.nps.gov/dena

I too have spent way less then Wolfie's very informative comparism. It can easily be done, if of interest.

Fti,

Hey again. Ok, where are you getting such a cheap price for car rental from?

I'm just now checking that online and found through Hertz it's gonna cost me almost $600.00 for 6 days. This is for a compact car too. Man way too expensive.

Of course that's the rates for August of this year but I imagine if I book early enough for 2008 it might be cheaper but I doubt that much cheaper.

This is a round trip from Anc airport. HELP!

How long of a drive will it be from the Anchorage airport to Denali or Fairbanks?

I booked a 7 person van thru Hertz (I used my AAA membership) but I booked March 2006 for June 2007. Have it for 7 days, round-trip from Anchorage, for $380. And that's for a van! It does pay to book early!

Thanks. How early did you book? Are you picking it up from the airport and if not where?

I'm still waiting for the 2008 Alaska cruises to come out and then after I book cruise. I'll book car rental.

CJ :) :)

There are a few downtown offices of car rentals, these are cheaper with the taxes, which you have to allow at least 25% for airport. They usually don't work out well for me with the limited office hours. Add in cab costs if needed.

Anchorage airport has Alamo, Thrifty, Dollar, Payless, as well as the majors. In the past I have gotten "special" on line rates with Alamo, which they run occasionally.

Fti,

Hey again. Ok, where are you getting such a cheap price for car rental from?

I'm just now checking that online and found through Hertz it's gonna cost me almost $600.00 for 6 days. This is for a compact car too. Man way too expensive.

Of course that's the rates for August of this year but I imagine if I book early enough for 2008 it might be cheaper but I doubt that much cheaper.

This is a round trip from Anc airport. HELP!

How long of a drive will it be from the Anchorage airport to Denali or Fairbanks?

I booked with Enterprise 11 months in advance and am picking up at one of their offices in town (but not downtown). Booked in August 2006 for July 2007 - you can always cancel for no charge or if the price goes down (unlikely), you can cancel and rebook. When I booked, an economy car that costs $157 for a week including all taxes pick up downtown, $256 for a week including all taxes pick up at the airport. If you pick up in town but drop off at the airport, most companies don't charge extra for the airport drop and you still save all the airport charges. Not long after I booked my car, Enterprise showed Sold Out for most of the summer.

Fortunately for me, I knew exactly what I wanted to do, booked my airline ticket using miles almost 11 months in advance and when I hung up with the airline, I checked car rental prices.

Note that if you keep a car for 5/6/7 days, the rate is almost always identical. Keep that in mind - you might want to plan on a 7 day car rental in light of that.

From the Anchorage airport to Denali, figure 5-6 hours with stops. Be sure to stop for groceries either in Anchorage or Wasilla. No supermarkets past Wasilla. Figure a 2 hour drive from Denali to Fairbanks.

OK folks, what I would like is irrelevant at this point in time. If I had known about this board 6 to 8 months ago perhaps our choice would be different. But at this point, unless I go by myself, I am part of the group. I was hoping for someone that could give me some indication of what we were going to be getting.

Oops, guess that sound a little snotty, please don't interpolate it that way, just looking for information and this seems to be the best place to get it.

OK folks, what I would like is irrelevant at this point in time. If I had known about this board 6 to 8 months ago perhaps our choice would be different. But at this point, unless I go by myself, I am part of the group. I was hoping for someone that could give me some indication of what we were going to be getting.

Oops, guess that sound a little snotty, please don't interpolate it that way, just looking for information and this seems to be the best place to get it.

Sorry Sheltie, I didn't realize you were already committed to this tour, thought you were just shopping.

I don't know what hotels Carnival uses, but probably the standard ones, usually Pikes or Rivers Edge in Fairbanks, I don't know about Denali - part of the Princess Lodge burned down this week and they'll be doing some juggling to get rooms for people.

You're starting in Fairbanks - you will take the train at around 8am and arrive Denali at around 12:30 or 1pm. You should try to get on a shuttle bus that afternoon to get into the park, as the Natural History Tour only goes a few miles into the park - basically just past where you can drive in on your own. You leave Denali the next day noonish and get into Anchorage at 8 (if the train is on time). You would basically check into your hotel, grab something to eat, and walk around a little. You will probably leave your hotel around 10 or so, get a city tour, and head to the cruise ship, probably arriving around 2pm or so.

Food will be on your own. In Fairbanks, Pike's Landing is a nice place to eat if you're in that end of town. Otherwise, the buses for the salmon bake or Ester Gold Camp (my favorite!) will pick you up from your hotel. In Denali, you are pretty much stuck with what's close. Lynx Creek Pizza is ok, although it's been taken over by Princess and isn't as good as it used to be. There's also a subway in the "Glitter Gulch Cabin Mall". You will probably be in downtown Anchorage and there are dozens of restaurants within walking distance.

Definately, if your tour includes only the Natural History tour- see if you can get a refund and book at least the Tolkat shuttle that leaves at 3pm or better- Fish Creek that leaves at 2pm. Be certain to factor in your getting to the Access Center for the shuttle buses.

Archived