What's in your Carry-On Bag?

Amy08080

Okay, I know the scenario of your suitcases not being delivered to your room before dinner (if you have the early seating, which I do). So my TA informed me to wear what I would think is suitable for dinner onto the ship or to carry it on in a bag. That would be fine and dandy if I didn't have to get up at 2am; to catch a flight at 6am; to catch the boat at 1pm...you get my drift? So what should my DH, DS, and I wear on the boat that would be suitable for our first dinner so I don't have to carry it on in my carry-on bag? :confused:

Pretty much anything goes the first night (except of course your bathing suit!), esp. if you have early seating.

We have always flown in day of the cruise also. I'm scared to death of my luggage getting lost, so I always have at least 1 change of clothes and all my necessities in my carry-on. When we had our 20-something kids with us, they wore their jeans they traveled in the first night to dinner, but never after that....but I'm NOT trying to start a "jeans @ dinner thread"...let's not do that again! DH & I wore also wore what we travelled in slacks/shirts; our luggage got to our room, but we were cutting it fairly close after sail-away, etc.

Okay, I know the scenario of your suitcases not being delivered to your room before dinner (if you have the early seating, which I do). So my TA informed me to wear what I would think is suitable for dinner onto the ship or to carry it on in a bag. That would be fine and dandy if I didn't have to get up at 2am; to catch a flight at 6am; to catch the boat at 1pm...you get my drift? So what should my DH, DS, and I wear on the boat that would be suitable for our first dinner so I don't have to carry it on in my carry-on bag? :confused:

The airline has lost our luggage before. We always back a couple of outfits, swimsuits, comfortable shoes and necessaties in our carry-on bag. We were able to get our luggage at the next island.

A few bottles of wine, cosmetics, nightgown, one change of clothing, camera, books, magazines. We hardly ever fly, although I'll be flying into San Diego in June, and usually spend one night pre cruise at a local hotel, also try to wear something onto the ship that's okay for dinner the first night. It is pretty casual in the DR on the first night.

Toothbrush, toothpaste and a little bit of makeup. I also usually wear nice capri's on to the ship just in case my luggage does not get to the cabin. We always do late sitting so my luggage has always arrived in time to change-but you never know.

We always fly in at least one day before (learned that the hard way) so dressing in attire that is appropriate for the dining room isn't an issue as we go from hotel to port rather than airport to port.

In our carry-on bags, we have prescription medications, laptop, camera, camcorder, toiletries, underwear, jewelry, earplugs, a couple of bottles of wine, small fan, books and such. We include a change of clothes for each of us just in case our luggages gets lost--God forbid!

Have a great cruise!

Jayne

I always have to do a pre-cruise stay before hopping on the ship so my carry on is pretty light.

-swim suit. First cruise I took I saw people in the hot tub and someone said they must have done a back to back cruise, because there's no way they got their luggae yet. So now I love going in the hot tub and have people thinking I did a B2B (but not the only reason, it's just one of my favorite places to be)

-MP3 player and speakers

-Laptop (if I'm bringing one, or my travleing companion will have theirs)

-Change of clothes for dining room, Lately I haven't been going to the dining room but if I plan on it, I'll take the change of clothes along. On 2 of my cruises, I didn't go to dinner in the dinning room at all.

-Tooth brush and toothpaste because those drink of the days are sweeeet!

At dinner on the first day, you say causal? WHat do you mean by that. Also on the other nights besides formal night, what is the correct atire? Slacks and a polo shirt good?
Slacks and polo shirt are fine... I usually roll up a polo and wrinkle-free dockers for dinner and 'deck/boat' shoes that I wear onto the ship are fine! :p

'Casual' on the first day means just about anything, shy of bathing suits and bare feet:rolleyes:, but if you have room in your carry-on 'we always try to be prepared'.. Besides, if your baggage happens to get lost, you'll have a set of clothes for 'resort casual' nights. :D

We have only been on one cruise where we did not receive our luggage before our early seating dinner. If you have not received your luggage you can still eat in the dining room no problem. You can also wear slacks, nice capris, or a skirt on that first day and that would be appropriate dining room attire. If you fly in on the day you board the cruiseship, then you need to pack things you wouldn't want to be without if the airlines lose your luggage. If you fly in the day before or drive to port, then you just need to pack the things you will want the first few hours on board. Medications, swimsuits, sunblock, lysol or clorox wipes (if you want to disinfect your stateroom), toiletries to freshen up, cameras, etc., plus any valuables are a good start. And don't forget your cruise documents and ID.

Personally, I just wished I had put my swimsuit in my carry on. We eat in the less formal restaurants the first night, that way our dress is appropriate and you can eat whenever you are hungry, not at a certain time. We too got up very early to get to make our flight and it is much better to take it easy the first night. You will enjoy the rest of your cruise more that way.

P.S. We have always been lucky, our bags were at our door within a couple of hours. They remember good tippers;)

I usually take pretty much the same amount of stuff for one night as I would for 8 nights....health and beauty items the same amount. I always bring full size bottles of shampoo, toothpaste, deoderant, perfume....all that stuff. I think this time though (which will be my first "long" cruise) I will put an outfit for the first nights dinner in my carryon and also a bathing suit and a pair of flip flops and shoes for the dinner outfit.

• Ipod with headphones
  • Book to read (Making of a Chef; it's taken me a long time to read it)
  • Gum (To Unpop my ears)
  • EarPlugs
  • Bathing suit (Never know when the pools are open)
  • SunScreen
  • Travel Blanket (Newly Added)
  • Cell Phone (Always have to call someone when you get there)
  • Travel Documents
  • ID,Credit Cards, Etc.

Will be less this time since we know what to expect and aren't flying in the day of. Here's what we had last time - mostly done this way in case the airline lost our luggage.

A "purse" style carryon with camera, medications, jewelry, ids, docs, cash/travellers checks/credit cards, etc.

A rolling suitcase style carryon that we managed to cram a change of clothes for each of us, swimsuits, and our formalwear for the first formal night into.

It was our first cruise and I was terrified that if our luggage got lost we'd miss out on our first formal night! Now I'd have had no makeup since we cruised during that short window where nothing liquid at all was allowed in carryons but couldn't help that.:) Next cruise we're flying in a day ahead and our carryon this time will probably be limited to what I listed above as the "purse" carryon plus maybe swimsuits. Will probably wear something like capris/nice top/sandals onto the ship that we can wear to dinner the first night without changing since it's a little more casual.

None of our luggage was lost and I was shocked when our luggage was at our room before 2pm but was glad I packed the way I did just in case.

My carryon is a rolling backpack and I take:

• Laptop
  • Digital Camera
  • Cell phone
  • Toothbrush/toothpaste
  • Book

I have thought about packing my swimsuit in my carryon, but I'm not sure how to manage guarding my laptop while in the pool or hot tub! It's already a PIA to deal with the rolling backpack while getting lunch from the buffet.

On our one and only HAL cruise (I have another one booked) they had someone taking your carry-on's when you got to the Lido Deck. Gave you a ticket and had them placed in a roped off area right as you walked outside. Thought that was a wonderful idea, didn't have to drag it around with you:)

When we got ready to go to our cabin, we just went and retrieved them:)

Oh, DH also has a carry-on, in his is bottled water and Pepsi:D , plus a change of clothes and his shaving kit bag.

Hello Amy, I will also be cruising Victory on 4/8/07!:D

Well what I usually carry in my carry on is some medication, change of clothes(since where I come from its cold) like tank top & capris, my camera and anything fragile. We usually eat on the Lido deck so packing casual clothes is usually not an issue.

maybe my swimsuit. Nice shorts, etc. are traditionally acceptable in the dining room on the first night, as some won't have their luggage. I usually travel in a comfy, but matching, nice knit yoga outfit. Something I'd wear out to dinner at a nice local/chain place. I think that's a good "rule of thumb", personally.

Other than that, i carry a folder with my travel print outs/documents, a book, some snacks, my iPod, small box with ibuprofen/migraine meds and my wallet.

My wife and I are booked on an April 2008 repositioning cruise from Miami to Rome. On that trip, we intend to spend an additional four nights in Rome and four nights in London on the way home. We both dress for formal nights so I will have a tux snd she will have a dressy dress, etc. We've decided ala Rick Steves to do the entire trip out of one carryon each. We are also booked next month on an eleven night Mexican Riveria trip. We intend to use this trip as a dress rehersal for the April 2008 trip. So I guess our answer to your question is that our carryons have everything we are taking.

Archived