Martinique Review

Bob7

Just back from our cruise which stopped in Martinique, here's a review and a few photos:

Quite a few people were disappointed in Martinique, but we liked it a lot. The problem for some people is that it’s too European, different language, different money (euros). If you don’t like Europe for those reasons you won’t like Martinique, a protectorate of France. It also doesn’t have a bunch of air conditioned ship shops on the dock, no pretty welcome center with a million locals bugging you to take a tour or cab, you just walk right into town (Fort de France). And if you’re looking for a beach, a good one isn’t handy, Diamant is the closest good one. We read comments that Fort de France was dirty, but we thought it was the cleanest city on the cruise. We loved the European shopping, few tourist traps, mostly local shops. Several shoe stores with all shoes and sandals 10 euros or less. Many interesting clothing shops, lots of French patisierie shops for a snack, $2 beer everywhere. Bring euros, not dollars, to avoid that problem. Some accept dollars but you’ll get euros change if they don’t have spare dollars to give you, spend them at the next store. The ship will sell you euros, but there is a fee of several bucks. Thought we’d find more open air cafes.

The people were not rude as reported, they were lovely. We used a little of our high school French which they appreciated, and we kept our English simple and easier to understand, which worked fine. We found 2 grocery stores with French wine for 1.65 euros, about $2, which we bought for cabin wine, pre-dinner drinks, we were running low. If you go shopping, start by going up Rue de la Republic, a cute cobblestone pedestrian-only street running inland from the ship. The map the ship hands out shows it, but we think it’s more to the right of the ship, rather than left as on the map. Anyway it’s the street left of the huge copper cathedral. Many cute side streets either way off this one. One good supermarket past the cathedral a few blocks. Big fabric store on the square at the cathedral.

We took the water taxi ferry, called vedettes or navettes, across the bay to the tourist area. There are 3 ferry companies, Madinina, Matinik, and Petrolettes, and the ferry dock is just to the right of the ship (when facing inland), you can see it from the deck of the ship. We took Matinik to Trois Islets, 5 euros return, because we wanted to do some hiking in the Pagerie area 2K from there, but this is just a pretty village, no other attractions so no other reason to go there. The other 2 ferries go to Pointe de Bout, 6.50 euros return (they don’t take dollars), which has some shopping, hotels, marina, and a rather poor beach. Diamant beach is much better, down the coast a few miles by cab. The ferries run frequently, every 30-45 minutes, and Madinina has their schedule on their web site. There is sometimes a ferry dispatcher on the ferry dock to help find the right one, and he speaks some English.

If you’d like a slice of Europe different than all the other Caribb islands with no one bugging you to buy stuff, and you can roll with the money and language difference, you’ll probably have an interesting time in F de F. If you don’t want to deal with those, take a ship tour, some lovely scenery in the rain forest, and some nice water tours.

This is a photo of Rue de la Republic, that's Wendy on the right, cute cobblestone street:

FdeFranceRueRep1.jpg

And this is a shot of the main drag along the ocean:

FdFOceanBlvd.jpg

-Bob

Thank you for the infomative review. Martinique is one port with limited reviews.

Also, the info on currency,ferries,beaches, and store is great. I'm going to paste your posting for my use.

I'm also going to imform people on my roll call about your review,esp for those that want a beach day.

I know that you did'nt take any taxis, but what was the rates for tours?

Thanks!!

Diva thx for the kind words. I have some notes that cruisers paid $110 for 4 people for a 3.5 hour tour, and also that metered taxis were about $25/hour for 4 people. There were lots of them over in front of the ferry dock looking to make a deal.

I forgot to mention something for the shoppers, the largest indoor mall in the Caribbean is on the outskirts of F de F, a 10E cab ride, called the Galleria. They have a web site, I've lost the link, but Google would pop it up.

And here's a shot below as we approached the dock. Rue de la Republic is to the right of the dock, near the copper church, not to the left like on the map the ship hands out. See the 3 white arials sticking up from the ship, look to the right of the right hand one, and you'll see the copper church spire. Republic is one block left of that.

MartCityView.jpg

-Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bob7 for the great review!

I think that most people complain about Ft de France because it seems to "open and close" on the clock and there's not much tourist stuff to do in town. The stuff in the market is like the stuff at all the other islands except the price is double - Martinique did not benefit by locking to the Euro!!! My advice would be to get as far away the downtown area as possible.

Couldn't find any souvenirs at a decent price until we walked several blocks away from the main (beach front) street. Then we walked many blocks trying to find a beach front bar - never found one. Finally found a restaurant that would let us sit for a beer - nobody spoke English. I brought Euros and needed them here. We saw a family get verbally reemed for trying to spend USD at a MCD nearby.

It's a huge island, so I would recommend seeing something other than Ft de France if you have the time.

Sag: cool shots, how were the prices at the Galleria?

Paul: I agree, very few souvenir shops, we usually don't bother with those but we needed a pen from Martinique, took a while to find one. And yes we also didn't see any beach or ocean boardwalk cafes, or any sidewalk cafes in F de F, strange, they must be hidden somewhere. We got our beers and snacks at what we would call 'corner variety stores' or 'snack bars'.

But we did like the local shopping, the clothes and shoes were interesting and inexpensive, and the supermarket was interesting, good cheap wine :-) I agree the countryside is the place to go, next time we would get our wine in town and then head out to the rain forest or coastal sights.

-Bob

Hi Bob!! I just got back from cruise and Martinique end up being one of my favorite ports. I printed out info from you and others about Fort-de-France and it was really helpful.

I purchased some great local art as gifts. I got a good deal on some handmade magents. I told the merchant that I would return later. I guess that they hear that alot, but she was glad to see me returned and I got four for the price of two.

I also went to the supermarket. I agree with you that the pricing on the wine and cheese was great. The only thing was I forgot to bring my credit and debit card and I wasn't sure if they took U.S. currency, so I didn't anything.

I know that if I go back again, I want to buy my wine first.

• 1 month later...

Bob

Sorry I just answer now...

Prices at the Galléria are expensive, even without the euro/dollar conversion problem. But, actually, when you buy there you also pay for the luxury of the complex ;). And it also depends on one's definition of "expensive"...

However, the very French products (cheese,wine and perfumes) you may be looking for do remain cheaper thant in the US, I assume.

Bye

• 2 months later...

I think Martinique gets a bad rap. It's like being in France--and a very nice part of France--because it IS France, a Department along with Guataloupe. It's as much France as Hawaii is America. People have always been VERY nice to us there, even with our schoolboy/schoolgirl french.

The black sands beaches are AMAZING!

But the BEST thing Martinique produces is rum. Their rum is simply the finest you can buy--it's basically the equivalent of the finest cognac in the world. It's made the same way, comes in vintages, and, like Single Malts, each one is different. It's called Rhum Vieux--Old Rum, and there are lots of brands, Clement, Dillion, Trois Rivieres, JM, Bally, and many more, and most are VERY good. The closest drink to the fine old rums is Armagnac--much more so than Cognac.

Be wary of the white rum--it's NOTHING like Bacardi! It's called Rhum Agricole (as opposed to Rhum Industriel--Bacardi and the like) and it's very strong. The regular stuff is 100 proof and the good stuff is 110 proof. It's made from fresh cane juice and has a strong pungent flavor and aroma--reminiscent of Gin, but different. It tastes most like Grappa, and some versions of it are even called Grappe, though they aren't made from grape seeds. They make a DEADLY drink with it called 'ti Punch (short for Petit Punch) that's white rum, some raw sugar, a slice of lime and 1 ice cube. You will love it or hate but don't drink too many or you won't see straight, much less walk straight (as my DH will testify)!

One time we were there I saw a bottle of Clement 1952 for $62 and told my friend he'd better buy it because he'd NEVER see that price again...last time we were on Antigua the stuff was on sale for $500.! Yeah, 5 HUNDRED! And that's cheap because Clement's web site sells it for 850 euros! ($1100!)--and that doesn't include shipping and customs fees!

I think Martinique gets a bad rap. It's like being in France--and a very nice part of France--because it IS France, a Department along with Guataloupe. It's as much France as Hawaii is America. People have always been VERY nice to us there, even with our schoolboy/schoolgirl french.

But the BEST thing Martinique produces is rum. Their rum is simply the finest you can buy--it's basically the equivalent of the finest cognac in the world. It's made the same way, comes in vintages, and, like Single Malts, each one is different. It's called Rhum Vieux--Old Rum, and there are lots of brands, Clement, Dillion, Trois Rivieres, JM, Bally, and many more, and most are VERY good. The closest drink to the fine old rums is Armagnac--much more so than Cognac.

Be wary of the white rum--it's NOTHING like Bacardi! It's called Rhum Agricole (as opposed to Rhum Industriel--Bacardi and the like) and it's very strong. The regular stuff is 100 proof and the good stuff is 110 proof. It's made from fresh cane juice and has a strong pungent flavor and aroma--reminiscent of Gin, but different. It tastes most like Grappa, and some versions of it are even called Grappe, though they aren't made from grape seeds. They make a DEADLY drink with it called 'ti Punch (short for Petit Punch) that's white rum, some raw sugar, a slice of lime and 1 ice cube. You will love it or hate but don't drink too many or you won't see straight, much less walk straight (as my DH will testify)!

I was with NPP in Martinique and can attest to the impact of too much white rum on normally normal people. Maybe those who read his review should realize that his perception was colored by the effect of Martinique's rum on his sytem...I, however, was stone sober. I still liked visiting Martinique the two times we were there, but...

I think the problem with Martinique is that it isn't really set up for tourists...not like St. Thomas with its long shopping street and so-called bargains or any of the other Eastern Carib islands with great beaches, lots of taxis and other tourist-oriented services. martinique is a 'real' place in the sense that it is more like visiting Paris than like visiting a carib island. And not everyone will think the black sand beach is that nice because the black sand looks dirty.

what i really what to know is...who is this DH person. I thought that meant Darling Husband and I am not that....

I was with NPP in Martinique and can attest to the impact of too much white rum on normally normal people. Maybe those who read his review should realize that his perception was colored by the effect of Martinique's rum on his sytem...I, however, was stone sober. I still liked visiting Martinique the two times we were there, but...

what i really what to know is...who is this DH person. I thought that meant Darling Husband and I am not that....

Dear Heart, of course!

And we were on Martinique 3 times, not two...the "colored by the effect" was the SECOND visit (and a visit with a friend of NPP to the Dillon distillery). On the third we toured a banana plantation--and the St. James rum factory... :) :) :)

I think the problem with Martinique is that it isn't really set up for tourists...not like St. Thomas with its long shopping street and so-called bargains or any of the other Eastern Carib islands with great beaches, lots of taxis and other tourist-oriented services. martinique is a 'real' place in the sense that it is more like visiting Paris than like visiting a carib island. And not everyone will think the black sand beach is that nice because the black sand looks dirty.

I think that you have found why some people dislike Martinique : it's "real". Actually, most of Martinicans' income doesn't come from tourism but from administrations, commerce, construction and so on. For example, while tourism was slowing down on the island, economic growth kept positive and even accelerated in recent years (around 3 to 5%) !

Btw, I didn't know that black sand looked "dirty", but well, it's your point of view :)

Black sand beach in Le Carbet (near Saint-Pierre), 20miles North of Fort-de-France :

31408506520070720041334.jpg

Btw, I didn't know that black sand looked "dirty", but well, it's your point of view

Msescada and I very much enjoyed the black sand beach--but she merely pointed out that others may not like it. We went to the one directly across the bay from Fort-de-France.

• 1 year later...

We will be in Martinique in January -- and the reasons you described are the reasons we want to go! DH and I aren't looking for a million stores selling tanzanite for 10 dollars (like St. Thomas)...and if people want a place that speaks English and caters to Americans, I suggest they stay home in America.

The beauty of travel is that you are exposed to so many incredible people and places...and Martinique IS France...and SHOULD speak French and are not by ANY stretch of ANY imagination should they need to speak English. We are so ethnocentric in America that we don't realize how extraordinary places are just by being themselves...rather than what we want them to be.

Thanks for this review -- I'm really looking forward to Martinique now!

• 4 months later...
We will be in Martinique in January -- and the reasons you described are the reasons we want to go! DH and I aren't looking for a million stores selling tanzanite for 10 dollars (like St. Thomas)...and if people want a place that speaks English and caters to Americans, I suggest they stay home in America.

The beauty of travel is that you are exposed to so many incredible people and places...and Martinique IS France...and SHOULD speak French and are not by ANY stretch of ANY imagination should they need to speak English. We are so ethnocentric in America that we don't realize how extraordinary places are just by being themselves...rather than what we want them to be.

I was a passenger on the Monarch of the Seas and stopped in Martinique (Oct. 1997). At that time, we used the US dollar and I found many reasonably priced items off the main road. The shop I visited and from which I purchased most of my items had very friendly people. My secret: I introduced myself in French. I do have a French last name, but the shopkeepers were very happy to help me. I bought a beautiful beach towel with Martinique and beautiful flowers on it. I also bought a fan (it was very warm that day) as well as multiple little gifts for my family. I also heard people complaining on the ship of the "rude French people," but I had no problems. Even if you don't know French, try to learn a few phrases. It's amazing how happy people will be that you are trying to communicate in their language.

That's what it sounds like... know some sort of french.. I know basic stuff, my oldest daughter who will be with us has 100% in her french classes, and can speak it pretty darn good.. so I think she will be the communicator. I also plan on bringing maybe 50 or 60 euro with us for this one stop... Thanks for your input!

Hi, we just had a lovely day in Martinique from the Noordam...not an exciting one, but fun! We had some Euros left over from Barcelona before we got on a TA last December, so took those along but everywhere we went they were fine with converting to dollars, just unable to give change in dollars back. In one store were I was looking at jewellery whose price exceeded my supply of Euros, the clerk phoned the bank to get a current exchange rate to be sure the US$ price was fair. This was on a roughly $100 item so I thought that was pretty nice of her. We had wandered around downtown Fort de France on prior cruises, so this time we took a water taxi to Point du Bout across the harbour. It leaves just across the parking lot from the cruise dock. It was $8 US round trip or 6.5 Euros and they take either, lots of people paid in US and got US change and you can pay on board. . There was something there on the map called a "Park Florale" and as you will have guessed by now I am a sucker for botanical gardens. At Point du Bout there is a tourism booth, where I tried out my rusty french and determined that the garden has been closed for over 2 years. So we just wandered the small street of that little town, stopped at a Creperie for some yummy crepes for a snack, watched people, bought a couple little things which were on sale. These are local shops where locals shop, along with some tourist stuff. It was lovely and the pace was slower and the people were very friendly. Every attempt to speak French was appreciated, even those by my DH whose french is like a iron fry pan after 3 years under the ocean. In places where English is not the usual language, it helps to remember that for the locals to try to speak our language is stressful. They may not be unfriendly or rude, just uncertain and stressed. We enjoyed Point du Bout beaucoup !

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I agree and I could not have said it any better! This thread has me excited about visiting Martinique on my March 2014 cruise :D

Archived