Victory Eastern 3/18/07

arf2005

Just back from the Victory. We had a good time and I would be happy to answer questions about the ship if there are any.

We flew in the day before and spent some time at Bayside Marketplace and then South Beach. A taxi to South Beach was only $6 per person which I thought was very reasonable (we stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Downtown - good choice for us and a good location overall). The hotel arranged a shuttle for us Sunday morning which cost either $4 or $5 per person.

We arrived around 10:30 and were able to board by 11:45. It was nice to be some of the first on and have the ship somewhat to ourselves for a little bit. It was very windy and our plans to go to the top deck for the sail-away didn't work out - the wind about blew us overboard!

We were upgraded to a suite and it was nice (but I wouldn't pay the going price for it - a regular balcony is just fine). The suite balcony is exactly double the size of a regular balcony. Part of our group had aft rooms with the bigger balconies and they loved them. If you are booking one of these rooms, keep in mind they are about 2 feet shorter than the side rooms - however, the extra footage is on the balcony. Someone asked in a previous thread about room 7427 - it was one of the ones held by our group and it does not have a couch.

We also had one of the L shaped rooms (7416) and it has a queen size bed. While it is set up differently from a regular balcony, it appears to have plenty of room.

The first two days were very rough - I've never been sick before, but I had to leave dinner Sunday night because I was sick. Several in our party really fought sea sickness even while wearing the patch the first several days. It kind of put a damper on the beginning of our trip, but that was just the luck of the draw weather wise.

By Tuesday things had settled down some. We stopped in San Juan and personally I think this stop should be removed from Carnival's ports of call. There is absolutely nothing to do here except fight crowds on narrow streets. Part of the problem is the time frame. I don't understand why our arrival was so late. It seems to me if the ships are going to stop here they should do so during the day. Most of our group was back on board within a few hours.

Tuesday night was the deck party and it was a blast. I wish there were at least two deck parties during the 7 day cruises.

Wednesday was St. Maarten. We went to Orient Beach and jet skied and parasailed. Loved it! The taxi ride was $6 per person each way from the port and well worth it. We shopped a little on the way back and just walked around downtown. Interesting island.

Thursday was St. Thomas. We did the Champagne Catamaran and really enjoyed that as well. (The Captain pointed out Kenny Chesney's house on St. John and Barbara Streisands on St. Thomas if you like to celebrity watch.) The snorkeling was only ok - much prettier in Mexico but the other scenery was beautiful.

As for the ship, I love the color scheme. However, it does look a bit shabby. I thought this ship was being dry docked in Oct 06 and booked it partially based on that. It wasn't. It's just beginning to look like a 2nd rate hotel and that's a shame, because with the replacement of carpets and some fixing of woodwork, etc., this ship would be one of the prettiest in Carnival's fleet. This in no way impacted how much fun we had, and it is understandable with the number of people who go through in a month's time that there will be considerable wear and tear.

Our room steward on 7 was excellent as were most of the others on 7. Very friendly and very helpful. We had a large group, so we had several tables in the dining room. One of our waiters was excellent (Chris) and the other was pretty awful. Again, luck of the draw. Chris made a lot of money off of us, and the other waiter received the tips that come from the $70 and that was pretty much it. The food was good for the most part. Can't beat that chocolate melting cake!

The entertainment on the ship was below average in the opinion of most of our group. The entertainment on the Valor last year was excellent, so I wonder if they don't put their best talent on the newer ships (sort of makes sense to me). Several of the singers couldn't carry a tune and I'm tone deaf and recognized that so I can only imagine how they sounded to others!

The dining room entertainment was the same from about 4 years ago. Again, this area was much better on the Valor.

Overall, we had a good time and will probably cruise again on Carnival. However, I think in the future we will stick to the newer ships.

I took some pictures of several of the rooms, and will try and download them tomorrow. Too tired tonight!

THIS SHIP IS IN GREAT SHAPE!! This is one of Joe"s darker color schemes, but it is in great shape.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't think it was in horrible shape, but I also don't think it was in great shape compared to the others I've been on.

Archived