special Alaskan knives?

jspirit

I remember reading that many people buy these knives to bring home. What are they? Are you allowed to take them on the plane, I guess, if they are in our checked luggage? What are they used for? (They start with the letter " U".)

For those of you who have bought them, once you got home did you really use them?

Is it more of a souvenir, or something you are so happy you found and use it everyday?

I bought a 'good' one for myself in Ketchikan and a cheapie souvenir one for my sister. She doesn't use hers but I love mine. It's one with a wooden chopping block. I don't use the block, instead I use it on a normal flat board. It needs sharpening every so often and is great when you need to chop loads of veg or herbs. Would I buy it again ... yes!

For those of you who have bought them, once you got home did you really use them?

Is it more of a souvenir, or something you are so happy you found and use it everyday?

I guess, in our house, it's a useful souvenir. It gets used almost daily.

-Monte

I guess, in our house, it's a useful souvenir. It gets used almost daily.

-Monte

Mine too! Although I've had one since before ever visiting Alaska, so I guess that one isn't really a souvenir...:).

Mine is from the Ulu Factory, knife/block/bowl set. While in Alaska, I purchased several sets from there for gifts, and know they're well liked by some of the folks I've given them to.

I think if you have a good one, learn to use it, you'll find it a valuable kitchen tool. A cheap one just won't hold up, and honestly, cheap ones I held were not comfortable to hold... and likely not comfortable to work with.

I found one I coveted in a little Skagway shop, made by Eagle River Knife company, and have kicked myself for not purchasing it last year. It would've been my extra-special 'souvenir knife'! Guess I'll book another cruise just to pick up that knife.

I found one I coveted in a little Skagway shop, made by Eagle River Knife company, and have kicked myself for not purchasing it last year. It would've been my extra-special 'souvenir knife'! Guess I'll book another cruise just to pick up that knife.

Oh the Eagle River knife company has such nice stuff. Was fortunate to receive one of their knives as a Christmas present one year.

Always see them at the Saturday/Sunday market and one day will take the plunge (prices are a little :eek: ) and make my one knife from them less lonely but I love the different color of handles they have http://www.eagleriverknife.com/handles.html

Susan in Anchorage :)

Approximately how much does it cost to have the knives shipped home rather than checking them in your luggage? I would worry about them still being in my luggage after 3 flights to get home.

That one is probably a little hard to answer because I imagine each store would charge it's own shipping and handling, assuming that they would ship for you. Some of the smaller ones aren't set up for that at all.

Now if you could find a local post office that have those Flat Rate boxes The Priority Mail Flat Rate Box is $8.10 for any U.S. destination.

• The inside dimensions for the two boxes available are 11" x 8.5" x 5.5" and 13.625" x 11.875" x 3.375".

Oh the Eagle River knife company has such nice stuff. Was fortunate to receive one of their knives as a Christmas present one year.

Always see them at the Saturday/Sunday market and one day will take the plunge (prices are a little :eek: ) and make my one knife from them less lonely but I love the different color of handles they have http://www.eagleriverknife.com/handles.html

I saw those knives on our last stop in Ketchikan two years ago and thought they were stunning, DH vetoed buying one though - had already maxed out the CC at that stage:rolleyes: . ...maybe this year if I get in early enough!

Archived