searching bags

mikenjane

I read in a ship review that a womans luggage was searched before it was delivered to her room. ( not her hand luggage, her main suitcase) A bottle of liquor was confiscated until the end of her cruise. we've been on quite a few cruises and always bring one bottle of our favorite cocktail for the balcony pre dinner drink. ( i know it's not allowed so don't jump all over me) However, its never been confiscated and once in the room we openly leave it on the dresser with no problems. It was Royal caribbean. Is this something new or does this happen all the time? I know they take liquor from hand luggage but I've never heard of anyone having it taken from their main suitcases.

Most lines (if not all) say no liquor may be brought onboard. If it's found (regardless of where) they will take it. Some will return it at the end of the cruise. So you take your chance. You might get away with it or not.

Cheers,

Never had my bags searched including my backpack on return from ports.

Neither have we. We've brought alcohol on at ports and they've either said nothing or pointed to where we can leave it and have it returned at the end of the cruise. But, I've never seen them monitor whether you actually do check it in.

I've heard mixed responses too. I went on Carnival last year and me, my bf, my sister and her bf all had one bottle of wine in our carry on luggage and they let us on with it.

Wine is allowed. It's liquor that can be confiscated.

Cheers! ;)

Jayne

They are now seriously enforcing the rules in large part due to the Smith incident last year and others. Too many people getting too drunk on outside liquor that the ship has no control over the serving of.

On our Rhapsody cruise a couple of weeks ago, everytime you came on board with an opened water bottle, they opened it and sniffed to see if it was alcohol. never done that before.:)

Carnival allows wine and soft drinks (Cokes, etc.) Just no hard liquor or beer. When your luggage is xrayed, if something seems suspicious, they do have the right to open and check the luggage. If they find hard liquor in there, it will be confiscated and returned to you on the last day.

I don't know, it all sounds kind of fishy to me...

First of all, with all of the norovirus, I wouldn't let anyone "sniff" anything of mine.

Last year on The Serenade you were able to buy alcohol in the shop and they delivered it to your room. Super cheap too. Don't they do that anymore?

Last time sailing on Celebrity we stashed a bottle in our suitcase with no problem. Now they're taking it out of the suitcase? Yet you can order it ahead of time for twice the price and it will be waiting for you in your room with mixers and nuts.

Do you think their alcohol is less potent then the stuff we bring from home???:confused:

I don't believe the bags were searched for alcohol. This is how it works.....Every bag is run through the X-Ray - for reasons other than alcohol. Unless a liquor bottle is made of metal, it does not show up. If the people watching the x-rays see something questionable, they will open your bag. If liquor happens to be found in doing so, it will most likely be confiscated.

I don't believe the bags were searched for alcohol. This is how it works.....Every bag is run through the X-Ray - for reasons other than alcohol. Unless a liquor bottle is made of metal, it does not show up. If the people watching the x-rays see something questionable, they will open your bag. If liquor happens to be found in doing so, it will most likely be confiscated.

Everything shows up in an x-ray machine now. I have worked at the airport for over 10yrs. and get screened going in and coming out everyday and the new machines out now are impressive to say the least. They pick up all kinds of things and use different colors for different items to help security tell what they're looking at. Everything at the least has a silhouette so a big bottle of alcohol will look like a big bottle of something.

The folks that I know who have had booze confiscated said it worked like this. They put all the luggage that they want to check in an area, such as the conference center. When you inquire as to why you haven't received a bag, they direct you to there, where you have to open it in front of them. If there is booze in a standard bottle, they confiscate it, if they suspect you've put it in a water bottle or mouthwash bottle, they will sniff it and if it's booze, they pour it out. You will get confiscated boooze back at the end of the cruise. It seems Grandeur is pretty strict about trying to catch it, from posts that I've read (one being a Roll Call member from last October) and there were some from Radiance last week who were complaining of having their booze and wine confiscated. So it's pot luck, you might make it, you might not.

Archived