NCL Photo Gallery Beware!

M&MCruisin

Ok, just like the Soda Card thread I started today, I wanted to share with you all some interesting tid bits about the Photo gallery on the Pearl.

First of all the photos are outrageously expensive. $24.99 for 1 8x10 and $14.99 for 2 5x7s. Now before you get too excited about the 5x7 price. Let me explain.

1. When you get off the ship for an excursion, they take your picture at the end of the gangway. 3 of the 5 ports on the 9 night cruise, you take your picture with big characters, like you would at disney world. :eek: Dont get me wrong, I love disney, but my personal opinion would be to have the pictures with the life preserver that have the island name or on the gangway with the ship in the backround. What you actually do is stand just off the gangway, the ship is nowhere in site and a big huge character by you.

2. In addition, 1 port you stand with 2 NCL employees dressed as pirates, which I didnt mind and 1 port we actually got to stand with the life preserver and the ship was in the background, which was the best picture.

3. For the $14.99 price, you get 2 photos of the same shot...you cannot mix and match AND the 2nd photo is a joke...its either 1 wallet with alot of decorations around it or 3 wallets with a small boarder. The second photos isnt worth a hoot so you basically pay $14.99 for 1 5x7, which goes along with the high price of $24.99 for the 8x10

Now, here is where I say BEWARE.....They will try to get you to take individual pictures with the charachter so that you have to buy 2 sets of 5x7's...one of you and one of your spouse for a total of $30 bucks! I learned quickly. First stop, I go up to the charachter and I looked to my right to see where my dh was and he wasnt there, so my photo is me looking for him as the guy didnt bother to tell me he was taking the picture. He just snaps and snaps fast, so you better be ready. So when we left, I asked my dh why he didnt get in the picture with me, but by himself, he said the guy told him to wait and not get in the picture. So I figured out the little scheme they had going on. Several people did get theres together, but many were separate. I went to the desk to complain. I didnt think it would be fair to make me pay $30 for a picture of each of us at this port because the guy refused to let my husband in the same picture, but others were allowed. They can buy one at $15, but I had to pay $30 just to get each of us at the port. I said, no, its not right and I really pushed the issue. I mean I buy every picture and they make a killing on me as it is, so they could give me 1 of each of us for the $15. I wasnt asking for the second picture they "give" you in the set. Just a pair transaction. He refused of course so I asked to talk to the mgr and he said he was then. I indicated I would take it higher and named someone I would speak to and he said I could have them for free. I told him I didnt want it for free, I wanted a fair transaction. In the end. I got the one photo of me looking for my dh and one photo of my dh in Dominica. I left the "free" second photo of each behind as they are worthless anyway. He also appologized and then gave me a free key chain and magnet, which I didnt need. I really wanted them to be fair. The rest of the stops. I put my hand up to the photographer and said please wait, we want to be together and he did; however, he wouldnt let the rest of my family do a group photo in St. Lucia and the picture was ridiculous. He snaps before you can even take one second to get organized.

Why do I tell you all this....ITS WASTEFUL...There were hundreds of photos on the wall, printed and ready for purchase, but too expensive and they have bad photographers (not all of them, just some). They throw away so many, which causes the prices of the pictures to increase because they take way to many. At night, they put you in weird funny poses that make you look stupid and therefore you dont buy them. Plus they take so many different shots and print them all. One couple told me they take as many as they possibly can throughout the week and then choose the best ONE. Just one. Now, see why the cost is so high?

A possible Solution: At night especially, they need to do like they do at Disney World. You have a photo card (or it could be linked to the room card) and it gets swiped each time you go for photos. Then you take the card to a kiosk of sorts and swipe the card to view your photos and then select the ones you like. This keeps us from printing and throwing away all those photos. And keeps the price down! What a waste. Now I know timing might be an issue with doing that for getting off at ports, but they should set up a station outside the ship for port pictures and that way, those who are interested, get them taken and those who are not, dont. Then they would have time to swipe the card outside as well. They would just need to invest in a few computer stations for viewing photos and allow you to select right from the computer which ones you wanted and have them printed and you can pick them up later.

This isnt a debate, just my experience and opinion on my experience and then a possible solution. These were the only 2 complaints I had with my Pearl Cruise...soda cards and photos. The cruise itself was fantastic and I would gladly sail her again. Keep an eye out for my member review. It is currently being reviewed for posting. Happy sailing all!

Ok, just like the Soda Card thread I started today, I wanted to share with you all some interesting tid bits about the Photo gallery on the Pearl.

First of all the photos are outrageously expensive. $24.99 for 1 8x10 and $14.99 for 2 5x7s. Now before you get too excited about the 5x7 price. Let me explain.

1. When you get off the ship for an excursion, they take your picture at the end of the gangway. 3 of the 5 ports on the 9 night cruise, you take your picture with big characters, like you would at disney world. :eek: Dont get me wrong, I love disney, but my personal opinion would be to have the pictures with the life preserver that have the island name or on the gangway with the ship in the backround. What you actually do is stand just off the gangway, the ship is nowhere in site and a big huge character by you.

2. In addition, 1 port you stand with 2 NCL employees dressed as pirates, which I didnt mind and 1 port we actually got to stand with the life preserver and the ship was in the background, which was the best picture.

3. For the $14.99 price, you get 2 photos of the same shot...you cannot mix and match AND the 2nd photo is a joke...its either 1 wallet with alot of decorations around it or 3 wallets with a small boarder. The second photos isnt worth a hoot so you basically pay $14.99 for 1 5x7, which goes along with the high price of $24.99 for the 8x10

Now, here is where I say BEWARE.....They will try to get you to take individual pictures with the charachter so that you have to buy 2 sets of 5x7's...one of you and one of your spouse for a total of $30 bucks! I learned quickly. First stop, I go up to the charachter and I looked to my right to see where my dh was and he wasnt there, so my photo is me looking for him as the guy didnt bother to tell me he was taking the picture. He just snaps and snaps fast, so you better be ready. So when we left, I asked my dh why he didnt get in the picture with me, but by himself, he said the guy told him to wait and not get in the picture. So I figured out the little scheme they had going on. Several people did get theres together, but many were separate. I went to the desk to complain. I didnt think it would be fair to make me pay $30 for a picture of each of us at this port because the guy refused to let my husband in the same picture, but others were allowed. They can buy one at $15, but I had to pay $30 just to get each of us at the port. I said, no, its not right and I really pushed the issue. I mean I buy every picture and they make a killing on me as it is, so they could give me 1 of each of us for the $15. I wasnt asking for the second picture they "give" you in the set. Just a pair transaction. He refused of course so I asked to talk to the mgr and he said he was then. I indicated I would take it higher and named someone I would speak to and he said I could have them for free. I told him I didnt want it for free, I wanted a fair transaction. In the end. I got the one photo of me looking for my dh and one photo of my dh in Dominica. I left the "free" second photo of each behind as they are worthless anyway. He also appologized and then gave me a free key chain and magnet, which I didnt need. I really wanted them to be fair. The rest of the stops. I put my hand up to the photographer and said please wait, we want to be together and he did; however, he wouldnt let the rest of my family do a group photo in St. Lucia and the picture was ridiculous. He snaps before you can even take one second to get organized.

Why do I tell you all this....ITS WASTEFUL...There were hundreds of photos on the wall, printed and ready for purchase, but too expensive and they have bad photographers (not all of them, just some). They throw away so many, which causes the prices of the pictures to increase because they take way to many. At night, they put you in weird funny poses that make you look stupid and therefore you dont buy them. Plus they take so many different shots and print them all. One couple told me they take as many as they possibly can throughout the week and then choose the best ONE. Just one. Now, see why the cost is so high?

A possible Solution: At night especially, they need to do like they do at Disney World. You have a photo card (or it could be linked to the room card) and it gets swiped each time you go for photos. Then you take the card to a kiosk of sorts and swipe the card to view your photos and then select the ones you like. This keeps us from printing and throwing away all those photos. And keeps the price down! What a waste. Now I know timing might be an issue with doing that for getting off at ports, but they should set up a station outside the ship for port pictures and that way, those who are interested, get them taken and those who are not, dont. Then they would have time to swipe the card outside as well. They would just need to invest in a few computer stations for viewing photos and allow you to select right from the computer which ones you wanted and have them printed and you can pick them up later.

This isnt a debate, just my experience and opinion on my experience and then a possible solution. These were the only 2 complaints I had with my Pearl Cruise...soda cards and photos. The cruise itself was fantastic and I would gladly sail her again. Keep an eye out for my member review. It is currently being reviewed for posting. Happy sailing all!

I may be missing something important here, but why not just walk past the photog and others and sweetly say you do not want your picture taken? I did it, probably 30 times in five cruises without a problem.

Now, here is where I say BEWARE.....They will try to get you to take individual pictures with the charachter so that you have to buy 2 sets of 5x7's...one of you and one of your spouse for a total of $30 bucks!

You "have" to buy the pictures? :eek: ;)

-Monte

we had no problems NOT buying photos, especially since the family took turns taking pics of each other. for Christmas i send my SIL a picture i took of her and her dad, she sent me a pic she took of me and DH. only bought 1 photo from the ship...it was all of us together with their dad..possibly the last group photo. i have no problem paying what they ask, because i can always say NO.

I agree - the pics are over prices and it a shame to see all those photos tossed at the end of the cruise.

I too do not like the silly poses they put you in. We travel with a group of six and both this year and last year we did a group photo where we all wore the same color shirts. This year we wore all black and had dark sunglasses. We told the photographer we wanted to have some fun poses and he was extremely accommodating. He took his time with us and we got some great pictures. Expensive, but great pictures. And we don't all have the dorky grin on our faces. We have some serious pics and some pics with us all laughing. We had a good time taking the pics and for once, it was hard to decide which pictures to buy and which to leave behind. ( I would have liked to get them all, but I was afraid it would be more than the cruise - lol )

So, don't be afraid to ask them to do something different - cause they will. Heck if you're paying 25 bucks for a photo - you should be stick your tongue out if you want :p

Anyway - just thought I'd share that with ya.

Thanks for the tip.:) I think some may have misread the point. It wasn't that the OP couldn't say no, they wanted a picture, but one with their spouse, not single pictures to have to purchase seperately.

And yes, maybe if they didn't have so much waste it would be more affordable. When I sailed on the Majesty a few years ago, they had a package you purchased on the 1st day, I think for about $150.00 that included all pictures taken during the week. It was a great deal, I wish they'd incorporate something like that on a regular basis for all ships.

but my personal opinion would be to have the pictures with the life preserver that have the island name or on the gangway with the ship in the backround.

I agree! Where did all these characters come from? People will think we went to Disneyland!

BTW, we were really pleased with the photographers on the Pride of Aloha -- some of the best pictures we've ever had on a cruise ship.

I agree! Where did all these characters come from? People will think we went to Disneyland!

BTW, we were really pleased with the photographers on the Pride of Aloha -- some of the best pictures we've ever had on a cruise ship.

I had to laugh at this. Just back from the Western Carib. a few weeks ago and when we got off in Progresso there was a character that looked like he just started grabbing things and putting them on. Kinda pirate, kinda jungle man, had some sort of hat with antlers...:confused: I never could quite figure out what he was supposed to be. I had never been to Progresso and I half expected the natives to look half crazed running around the beach and debated going back onto the ship!:p

I'm with you both, I don't need characters, especially the ones you can't even figure out what they're supposed to be.

Thanks for the tip.:) I think some may have misread the point. It wasn't that the OP couldn't say no, they wanted a picture, but one with their spouse, not single pictures to have to purchase seperately.
I get the point but I don't see why it had to be made. If you want a photo with your spouse, stand there and wait for your spouse and if they say no, refuse to move. They're not going to push you away. This situation is just like any where someone is telling you what they want you to do. If I don't want to do something, I don't do it. Having said that...I think it's a very good point to tell everyone how to avoid the single picture if what you want is one of the two of you together.

I get the point but I don't see why it had to be made. If you want a photo with your spouse, stand there and wait for your spouse and if they say no, refuse to move. They're not going to push you away. This situation is just like any where someone is telling you what they want you to do. If I don't want to do something, I don't do it. Having said that...I think it's a very good point to tell everyone how to avoid the single picture if what you want is one of the two of you together.

I agree with you - all you have to do is be insistent. The photographer is not going to turn you away if you want both you and your spouse in the pic.

All true, but I wouldn't think anything of them taking individual pictures until I went to buy the pics and then realize...'Wow, now I have to buy 2'! Knowing ahead of time, for me, if I see they are trying to do this, which would make sense to increase revenue, it gives me a heads up. Not paying attention to it, I'd get to the photo thing on the last day (I can never seem to make it during the week) and realize I have a ton of pics to buy!:eek: And like you said, I'll think to make sure spouse and/or our group of people are there. Whereas I wouldn't have given it a thought before.:)

And like you said, I'll think to make sure spouse and/or our group of people are there. Whereas I wouldn't have given it a thought before.:)
Me too. :) Although I've all but stopped buying the photos because they're too expensive now. I have no idea if the number of pictures that are thrown away has anything to do with the price. What I do know is 5 years ago I could buy a 5 x 7 for under $10 and it came with a bonus picture of either the ship or they'd take your photo and place it in some kind of photo collage of pictures from your itinerary. Now It's just a picture and it's too much money. And they've become so territorial too. If you dare to try and take your own photos in front of their back drop they'll stand in your way and refuse to let you take the photo. I agree with your idea of a package deal. Instead of every picture maybe they offer so many photos that you pick out at the end of the week. I'd pay $100 for 5 to 10 different posed shots to remember my vacation.

When we got off the crown in bermuda we asked the photographer to take our picture over by the water. He followed us and took a really nice picture. We didn't mind paying for it at all along with a few others. Vacations can be expensive. Your choice to say yes or no Thanks..

The drink of the day is expensive too...

When you think of everything you get for the price of your cruise they have to hike things up a bit elsewhere... Don't sweat the small stuff.

Sometimes I get the feeling that only certain members are entitled to make a point. I kind of thought cruise critic was for all to participate and share. With that being said...

Thanks for all the responses. I posted this to share my experience in hopes that someone might be aware that they need to INSIST on having the photo together like we did the rest of the week and also to share my opinion on the WASTE, which I think is a very good point to make (I hope they recycle!). I love photos and I am one to buy them all, but I want a fair deal. I dont want to say no to the photo, I actually want it, unlike many, therefore, I want them to be fair. I am sure I spent about $300 on this cruise in photos with them. I would have loved a package deal like Beachbumama said but they said they didnt offer one.

Pamera....Oddly enough I did request specific poses one night and the photographer gave me a bit of a hard time. I wanted a casual photo on the floor and he said...we dont usually do that with this background and I said, its ok...thats what I want and I told him he only needed to take 2 shots (trying to keep the waste down). We just got up and walked away when he took 2 shots and said thank you. Its a great idea to let people know not to be afraid to ask for something specific so thanks for the input here.

M&MCruisin, I like your idea of having a swipe card and kiosk where you can look at your own pictures and just print the ones you want. That's they way they did things at Beaches in Turks & Caicos. Printing all the pictures is a huge waste and surely must add to the cost.

Plus, you'd think the cruise lines would notice that hardly anyone buys the pirate pictures. They've taken those on almost every cruise line I've been on and I've never ordered a single one. They are too silly. I like the formal portraits though.

If you think cruise pictures are expensive, you should see the cost of pictures at ski resorts in Colorado. For this first time we had pictures taken at a ski resort here in Colorado and they charge $32.00 for an 8x10. After you are done skiing you go to one of their kiosk and choose what you want. They print only the pictures you want and they still charge a fortune. It's not only cruise ships that charge an arm and a leg for pictures.

If you think cruise pictures are expensive, you should see the cost of pictures at ski resorts in Colorado. For this first time we had pictures taken at a ski resort here in Colorado and they charge $32.00 for an 8x10. After you are done skiing you go to one of their kiosk and choose what you want. They print only the pictures you want and they still charge a fortune. It's not only cruise ships that charge an arm and a leg for pictures.

That sucks! $32 is insane. The thing is, I would buy it anyway. Thats why they can charge so high, because stupid people like me buy it at almost any cost!:mad:

I still think Disney has the best solution with the swiping of the card and the kiosk. We were even able to purchase and review photos for 1 month after the date they are taken and you email the link to your friends and family to look at. After the 30 days, you either had to buy it or they dissappear. I only think this is good for occassions where there is alot of picture taking such as a cruise or resort, etc.

Dominica - 90 to tour the Falls and Pool

Tortola - upwards of 100 to go to the Baths RT

St. Lucia - upwards of 100 to take a tour there

Barbados - 90 to take a catamaran

Antigua - 80 or more to go snorkeling there

(prices based on two people)

Thats around $500 for the tours!!!

PLUS we want to buy pics. Thanks for the heads up about the pictures!

That's not even including souveniers! And FORGET about the specialty restaurants!!

GEEZ LOUISE!!!!! :eek:

I'm gonna need to take out a 2nd friggin mortgage to enjoy this cruise!!!:eek:

We ARE doing our own excursions for the most part - however, for Tortola and the Baths - the price is about the same and I just feel safer doing the Baths with the ship.

The other excursions are my own excursions (all of them snorkeling excursions!!)

It is STILL expensive!!

Hi neighbor. We live next to Thornton. Small world.

About those ski photos...I bought one during a vacation to Jackson Hole. Man it was expensive. But I got a great shot of me in all my gear high atop Rendezvous Mtn. at Teton Village. They sure saw me coming. :eek:

back to photos, I suspect that what appears to be waste to us is economical to the operator; it surely doesn't cost them $24 a print--maybe 2 cents. And the big walk-by board is good marketing; people always stop and look fror themselves. Compare to the cost of a system for swipes and screens (this way they don;t have to get your name to put it in "your" kiosk). It's like all those school pictures that don't get bought.

But your first post gives great info on controlling the process so you get better results on the other end--especially as to grouping children.

Didn't your spouse follow you off the ship at each port? If so, why didn't you both get in the picture together. We were on the 3/16 cruise and all shore pictures had both of us together. We were never asked to take separeate pictures. We just walked together and they took our pic.

This isnt a debate, just my experience and opinion on my experience and then a possible solution.

This is a very good idea, and I'm sure that I've read that it's being experimented with somewhere in the industry. I suspect that this will come, because if the industry can keep the costs down and then lower the prices of photos, there is a good chance that passengers will tend to buy more than they do now.

Excellent suggestions. We just sailed 2 cruises on the Pearl this month and we also caught on fast to the "single" shots. We did it once, then got smart and made sure we were always right together when we got to the photo spot. Another funny thing: we happened to pass by one of the photo backdrops onboard and no one was around so we took photos of each other against the backdrop. Just about the time we finished the last pic, one of the photographers came up and "encouraged" us to leave. The next time we went by, they had "crime scene" type tape and cones all around. We both burst out laughing. That said, we still purchased a few photos that we especially liked.

Archived