Is Long Beach safe?

foft

We're cruising in May, and debating where to stay in the Los Angeles area pre-cruise for a couple of days.

Priceline has pretty good prices for Long Beach, but I've heard the area isn't that great, with gangs, etc. But the hotels are the Westin and the Hyatt, which I can't imagine would be in that bad of a neighbourhood. So I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any comments or advice?

You don't say where you are from, but I don't know any large urban area that doesn't have safe AND unsafe areas. This is certainly true of San Diego, San Francisco, NYC, Chicago, Miami, Long Angeles, Cleveland, etc. etc. etc

Long Beach is like that too. The area right along the ocean downtown is very safe. Venture many miles or even blocks inland in some areas, it can get a little dicey. Both the hotels you mention are right along or very near Ocean Blvd., and that area is fine.

We're cruising in May, and debating where to stay in the Los Angeles area pre-cruise for a couple of days.

Priceline has pretty good prices for Long Beach, but I've heard the area isn't that great, with gangs, etc. But the hotels are the Westin and the Hyatt, which I can't imagine would be in that bad of a neighbourhood. So I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any comments or advice?

Well if you are staying for "a couple of days" beforehand...

Then just as far as things to see and do in LA pre-cruise, please click on this thread/link below to give you some other ideas to look into first before deciding:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=517205

It will at least give you a starting point to realize other ideas and options...

CJW

We stayed at the Hyatt in Long Beach before our cruise and I felt very safe. We walked around at night; there were restaurants and shops along the water and by the convention center. Certainly, crime can happen anywhere, but I don't think you have to worry about Long Beach any more than anywhere else.

We enjoyed our stay there and it was definitely a very convenient way to start the cruise.

The Convention Center area of Long Beach, where the big hotels all are is very safe...

Remember, Long Beach is a VERY BIG CITY...population of about a half a million...If it weren't dwarfed by neighboring Los Angeles, it would be a mjor city on its own...It has some bad areas with gangs and crime problems--notably "North Long Beach"...where it borders on Compton...but that is several miles away from where you will be...it also has some very industrial areas and some very upscale areas and a lot of working class suburbia areas...but you are not going to most of those areas...Where you will be is very clean and nice and well-maintained and planned for tourists like you...and the Long Beach Police and Chamber of Commerce and City fathers do their best to keep it that way...

I was in LB last August for the first time in many, many years because we wanted to check out the Aquarium. We were very impressed with it, but also liked the waterfront. We caught a free bus to Shoreline Village and had lunch, then returned to the Aquarium. Then at dusk, we walked along the marina back to the Village for another meal and to check out the stars. We felt very safe. From what I've heard the hotel area is pretty safe too. Just practice "safe touristy". Maybe soon we'll do an overnight and stay at one of the hotels.

Long Beach is very safe as the previous posters said. I stayed at the Marriott Courtyard which is in the financial district and felt very safe. There are some great restaurants five-star restaurants on Pine Boulevard.

Now I have to admit driving from airport the road showed some seedy areas, but the Financial area and wharf is fabulous.

I will be cruising again this May and I booked the same Marriott for two nights. Long Beach is a wonderful city. Give it a try.

I work in downtown Long Beach and the tourist area near the Convention Center, Pike area, Shoreline Village, Aquarium, etc. is quite safe. The police station is right in that area and the police patrol frequently to ensure that the area stays secure. On Ocean Blvd., you can also catch a red passport bus that will take you east to 2nd Street area which is a nice shopping and restaurant area in Belmont Shore. You may see a few homeless people that hang around downtown (as in most cities) but they are probably the regulars and quite harmless. Just exercise the same caution you would in any large city and you'll be fine.

Hope you have a great trip and cruise.

We have dinner and go to a concert or show in Long Beach about once a month. The area around the Hyatt & Westin is very nice, although as others have said, you should exercise the same caution you would in Los Angeles or any other large city. You will see gang members (and other young adults who are simply imitating the look), but we have never had a problem. <knocks wood>

If you're flying in, check out flights into Long Beach airport instead of LAX, too. It's a fabulous little airport (only 47 or so flights a day) that is easy to get in & out of.

Lived in Long Beach many years. The areas close to the water and frequented by tourists are way safer than most parts of LA (imho)

Like any large city, (pop. of LB is over 800,000) there are some bad neighborhoods, but believe me, if you wander into one, you will know it.

Thanks for the advice.

Problem is that I couldn't get a reasonable rate for a hotel DT Long Beach for my timeframe. Cinco de Mayo-related?

I ended up at the LAX airport region, so I'm going to have to shuttle to the port the morning of.

But I think I'm going to try to stay DT Long Beach on my next cruise out of LA. :)

Archived