Junior Suite + Excersaucer = Are We Nuts?

sas80

First off (as many of you may know) the excersaucer collapses to a more manageable size.

Secondly, we are driving to the port. We would not pack it, we would hand carry it onto the ship.

I was going to bring his floor gym but he seems to not be as into the floor gym any more. He is very into his excersaucer (6 month old).

I figured that the excersaucer would be a good way to distract him while we showered and got ready for whatever.

As well, since we are not going to have the bouncer seat, this way he will have somewhere to sit, instead of just leaning/laying him on the bed or the floor all the time.

Does anyone know if there is enough room in the JS to accomodate an excersaucer? I am assuming that we will fold up the pak n play every morning and put it aside.

I was also thinking that we could move one of the chairs from the room to the balcony, to make more space in the room, and/or do the same with the excersaucer.

opinions anyone?

Am I nuts? Am I creative?

You're Nuts :-) ! I say that in the most friendly way I can! We thought we would collapse the pack-n-play, too, but we didn't because you need it every few hours for naps (esp. with a 6 mo old who's still taking 2/day).

You have to have a pack-n-play and you have to have a stroller, I just can't see having room for the exersaucer, too.

I guess if you put the pack-n-play away and then pulled out the exersaucer and then put away the exersaucer when you pulled out the pack-n-play it'd be OK, but I'd just bring some toys that would attach to the stroller and pop him in there when you need to contain him.

You're Nuts :-) ! I say that in the most friendly way I can! We thought we would collapse the pack-n-play, too, but we didn't because you need it every few hours for naps (esp. with a 6 mo old who's still taking 2/day).

You have to have a pack-n-play and you have to have a stroller, I just can't see having room for the exersaucer, too.

I guess if you put the pack-n-play away and then pulled out the exersaucer and then put away the exersaucer when you pulled out the pack-n-play it'd be OK, but I'd just bring some toys that would attach to the stroller and pop him in there when you need to contain him.

I was thinking we could "store" the excersaucer on the balcony when we were not using it. The only issue I could see arising is if it is humid - then the cloth would get wet.

I was also thinking of moving one of the sitting chairs onto the balcony to make more room for the excersaucer.......?

Yes, if you are going to bring it, the balcony is a good place to store it. I think I would ask that the chair and the coffee table be removed from the room at the get go, rather than storing the chair on the balcony, too. If you don't need the chair, it'd just be a little easier.

Are you going for the concept of containing him or for entertainment? If it's just to keep him in one place - how about a bumbo?

Yes, if you are going to bring it, the balcony is a good place to store it. I think I would ask that the chair and the coffee table be removed from the room at the get go, rather than storing the chair on the balcony, too. If you don't need the chair, it'd just be a little easier.

Are you going for the concept of containing him or for entertainment? If it's just to keep him in one place - how about a bumbo?

Entertainment purposes only.

Whats a bumbo?

I was going to bring his floor gym but he seems to not be as into the floor gym any more. He is very into his excersaucer (6 month old). I figured that the excersaucer would be a good way to distract him while we showered and got ready for whatever.

As well, since we are not going to have the bouncer seat, this way he will have somewhere to sit, instead of just leaning/laying him on the bed or the floor all the time.

Does anyone know if there is enough room in the JS to accomodate an excersaucer? I am assuming that we will fold up the pak n play every morning and put it aside. I was also thinking that we could move one of the chairs from the room to the balcony, to make more space in the room, and/or do the same with the excersaucer.

No, you are NOT nuts. You are in a JS. They are pretty big - wider than a standard cabin. There is plenty of room (relative to a D1 cabin for example!) for the pack n play and an exersaucer. I think it would also come in handy for when you are all sitting out on the balcony. Baby can safely be next to the glass balcony cover looking out at the ocean!!

We were in a JS on the Jewel of the Seas, and it would have fit fine. What ship are you on? You can check many of the photo websites for other people's photos of JS on that particular ship, or search this site too.

JS on the Jewel were nice and wide, and there was plenty of room, especially if you push the chair and footstool against the wall.

Ask your cabin steward to remove unwanted furniture -- its better than being stuck with it soaked out on the balcony in case of rain.

Many years ago, we drove to Florida for vacation with our then wee one (first child), and we had the exersaucer in the back of the van, and that was when they DID NOT collapse!!!:rolleyes: It came in VERY handy keeping her busy. Kept her off the yechy floor, and gave her "bouncy" time to get her tired, especially when she'd been sitting or sleeping all day in the stroller or carseat and was not tired!!! Its hard to tire them out at that age.

We've also had both a pack n play AND stroller on a cruise, with ONE small child -- she was 21 months. We waited to cruise again until last year when the second one was potty trained cause I was not going to pay to cruise again until they could both go in the kiddie swimming pool AND both go to the kids centre and therefore I could get some vacation time too :D !!

Enjoy your trip!!

Entertainment purposes only.

Whats a bumbo?

This is a bumbo. It's made of a foamlike material and helps a baby who can't sit up on his own to, well, sit up on his own. Some babies like sitting up so much that they will just sit in there and watch the world go by (or watch you get ready for dinner, whichever the case may be). It also makes a good first feeding chair. Despite being a lot more compact than the exersaucer, it's not very entertaining on it's own, so it wouldn't work for that purpose.

10378D-dv-3.jpg.86af0f8b9c1df16314e6900e1f5785ea.jpg

I used bouncie seats for that purpose - to put the babies somewhere while I showered or got ready, and they were also nice for napping. If you want to bring the saucer, don't plan on putting it on the balcony - they get hosed off and sometimes drenched from above. You can just put it on top of the bed to get it out of the way when you need to move around the cabin. It would also be nice to bring out on deck between a couple of deck chairs. You can just paste a bunch of luggage tags to it and it will be delivered to your cabin with your luggage. Same in the reverse (bring packing tape with you to paste the tags on again at the end of the cruise). That's what I did with the bouncies, bathtub, and big plastic tub that I put all their stuff in.

Have a great time.

Best,

Mia

I'm just thinking that for the amount of bulk that the exersaucer takes, you could take a ton of toys instead. I'm thinking electronic gadgets (keyboards, talking toys), maybe new ones he hasn't seen before.

Put one in front of the Bumble gizmo and you have a sort of travel-exersaucer (plus the real one at home is "fresh" when you get back).

We had a junior suite last year and there would be plenty of room if you push the chairs and table of the sitting area out of the way! We didnt bring one for our daughter but it would have been fine. The JS is quite spacious actually and the mini fridge comes in handy for the jar food and formula! You will have a great time.

Julie

Somebody's probably done this, but....

Will the Exersaucer fit through the X-ray machine at the port to take it on? Even collapsed, the diameter is pretty big.:confused: I know that's an issue with things people carry on sometimes.

If it does fit and you think it will really keep him happy, might be worth lugging around.

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

I wouldn't worry about carrying it on - just check it with the rest of your luggage.

Something else I did with mine when they were smaller was bring a bunch of those toys and books that attach to the stroller with links or are clipped on. They can be changed to keep interest, or put a ton of them on. Kind of then becomes a moving excersaucer. Those toys that attach via link or clip are also perfect to keep baby happy in the high chair.

Best,

Mia

HAHAHAHA you remind me of myself when I was a first time mom. I used to show up at hotels packed up with enough toys/equipment to make it look like Toys R Us had exploded in our room. My friends used to laugh at me. :D

So I KNOW what you are getting at. Will you have enough room...probably.

When my kids were babies on cruise ships I used the car seat carrier ALOT. That's where I put them when I wanted a shower. Or what I carried to dinner. They slept great in that thing. :)

We stayed in a JS with our then 17-month old. Plenty of room for the pack-n-play and an exersaucer (though we didn't take one). We stored his stroller (umbrella) in the walk-in closet so it was out of the way.

I'd be reluctant to store an exersaucer on the balcony (it might fit in the closet when it's folded) because of the humidity.

We stayed in a JS with our then 17-month old. Plenty of room for the pack-n-play and an exersaucer (though we didn't take one). We stored his stroller (umbrella) in the walk-in closet so it was out of the way.

I'd be reluctant to store an exersaucer on the balcony (it might fit in the closet when it's folded) because of the humidity.

We have decided to bring it. We are going to ask the room steward to take out one of the sitting chairs so that we will have a place to "tuck" it if we need to.

I know that we will use it - I am just not sure how much of a pain in the arse it is going to be to get it on and off the ship.

Thanks for all the posts everyone!

Archived