Smooth seas?

I know this is like asking for guaranteed good weather, but GENERALLY speaking, are the western caribbean seas calm in early April?

Generally speaking, they probably are. However the first time we were in the western Caribbean in April, there was a storm in the Eastern Caribbean that caused horrific mudslides in St. Thomas and the effects of the weather front extended into the western Caribbean and caused our ship to have to anchor on the opposite side of Grand Cayman from Georgetown and tender passengers to shore on that side of the island. A fleet of taxis drove over to pick up passengers and take them into Georgetown and to Seven Mile Beach etc.:)

I find that the western caribbean is always much smoother than the eastern or southern. We were just there 2 weeks ago and it was smooth as glass :) so I would safely assume that in another week, it should be the same. Of course storms can pop up anytime, but barring any storms, you should be fine

Thanks again. I'm not worried really. My mom (we're sailing with my parents) is worried because my father gets seasick and she wants him to have a good time -- and he doesn't like to take Bonine.

Last year on Navigator, our first sea day was a nightmare -- barf bags everywhere, outside decks closed. I was fine -- a little 'off' -- but fine.

I totally agree with above posters!! Our western was MUCH smoother than the Eastern. Both were just fine for me, but we heard a few complaints of "sea sickness" on our Eastern Itin. No complaints heard when we were on the Western. If you are worried about getting "sea sick" take motion sickness meds before you leave. :)

Thanks. I've been in the eastern caribbean 3 times ('04, '05, '06) in November and 2 of the 3 have been pretty smooth, but I've always heard that western is even smoother.

That will be nice, we are doing western next year. Last year on the eastern, we had 15 foot waves, but on Voyager, it didn't seem that bad. The waves on the wave runners at Labadee beat us up pretty good though. We are hoping we make cococay.

I have been on 6 cruises to eastern, western and southern - in March and in July/August. I shouldn't tempt fate, but they have all been smooth. 2 weeks ago in Grand Cayman it was a mill pond. However, I am also thinking that I don't worry so much about getting seasick now and I really don't feel the motion of the ship (Until I get off!) - after leaving Jamaica 2 weeks ago the sea had a little more swell but I hardly noticed it. My daughter is the same, on her first two cruises she worried about the ship sinking!!!, and so she felt sick. Now she is fine.

Archived