Grand class questions

lawyerrose

Looking at cruisedeckplans, I see that there are 8 Grand class Princess ships, but they're broken down into sections. Golden, Grand, and Star are in one group; Caribbean, Diamond & Sapphire in another group (all built in 2004??), and Emerald and Crown being in a group of 2 in the "highest" class.

Can anyone give me a good comparison of the ships within their groups and comparing to the other groups in the Grand class? For instance, is the Golden more like the Grand and Star than she is to the Caribbean or the Emerald?? What makes all these Grand class ships different? I've been on the Golden back in 2002 and just loved her. But I don't recall that she had MUTS. Did they add that to her or is that only on other grand classes of Princess' ships?? We're planning a trip on the CB. Is she going to remind me a lot of the Golden, or will I find her quite different??

Thanks for any info/thoughts/experience you can send my way.:)

Tough question. You've seen the deck plans. We've sailed on Caribbean, Golden and Crown (in that order). All are similar in feel but vary in layout. Balcony cabins are identical. Biggest difference is probably location of Skywalkers, Sabatini's and basketball court. Latter two have MUTs. Steak house in Golden/Caribbean was better than Crown Grill (more steak, less fish). Video poker in Club Fusion on Caribbean was great - very quiet when events not running in there.

You should find Caribbean similar enough to get turned around, but familiar enough to feel comfortable. We were on her second sailing (and our first), so we really enjoyed the cruise.

Tough question. You've seen the deck plans. We've sailed on Caribbean, Golden and Crown (in that order). All are similar in feel but vary in layout. Balcony cabins are identical. Biggest difference is probably location of Skywalkers, Sabatini's and basketball court. Latter two have MUTs. Steak house in Golden/Caribbean was better than Crown Grill (more steak, less fish). Video poker in Club Fusion on Caribbean was great - very quiet when events not running in there.

You should find Caribbean similar enough to get turned around, but familiar enough to feel comfortable. We were on her second sailing (and our first), so we really enjoyed the cruise.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. Some friends of ours want to join us on this cruise in a mini-suite, but don't want to be on Dolphin deck. I noticed there are a few mini-suites on Emerald deck. Do you know anything about how their balcony is situated? Is it open like Dolphin's??

The mini suites on the Emerald deck are in the aft portion of the ship, but they are completely covered. They cost less and usually go fast since they are covered. If you are able to book one of these cabins be sure to have your TA indicate that you do not want to be upgraded since most of the mini suites on the Dolphin deck would be considered an upgrade. Personally, we do not mind the mini suites on the Dolphin Deck as we like the sun and have never noticed that people are peering down at us. My DW and I feel that if anyone wants to look at our middle-aged bodies, more power to them. LOL :D

We have sailed on the Grand twice once it's inaugeral year of 1997/98. and once on the Caribbean princess Christmas of 04. The Caribbean and its other two sisters are more gross tonange as they added an extra deck and more passengers, other than that they are about the same. All have Mutts by now but CP was the first to debue I believe. We have always had balconies on Aloha deck so cannot comment on the mini suites.

We have sailed the Grand, the Golden and the Caribbean. Grand and Golden are essentially identical, with the exception of MUTS. Caribbean "feels" somewhat different to us, than the other two. We are concious of the size difference when aboard. That being said, the feel is still that of a wonderful Princess cruise.

We do like the minis on Dolphin, don't mind the uncovered balconies, but if you desire more privacy definitely go for the Emerald deck covered balcony.

Enjoy your cruise!:D

We have sailed the Grand, the Golden and the Caribbean. Grand and Golden are essentially identical, with the exception of MUTS. Caribbean "feels" somewhat different to us, than the other two. We are concious of the size difference when aboard. That being said, the feel is still that of a wonderful Princess cruise.

We do like the minis on Dolphin, don't mind the uncovered balconies, but if you desire more privacy definitely go for the Emerald deck covered balcony.

Enjoy your cruise!:D

Thanks for all the good info from everyone. Oh, we WILL enjoy it! I can hardly wait!!:)

Archived