HAL Deposit

BM64

I had to put down $1200 for two people for a 14? day European cruise on the Prinsendam this summer; and, that's because I did it through a TA; when I went to the HAL site for deposit, they wanted $1600. Don't know why the difference, but it was there.

We are going Presidents week ( pray for us :) )

We're on the Easter sailing, so as they say we are all in the same boat. You'll let us know how it is. Actually, I'm more worried about the seas then the number of kids on board.

Hmmm, our deposit was $600 for both of us, plus $198 for the insurance. We're doing a 7-day'er to Mexico in Dec....

Is your cruise price $1,000 pp or less? Hal's insurance would than be $99 each. For a $2,500-$3,000 cruise pp the insurance will be something like $359 each.

We buy third-party insurance (which covers interruption as well as just cancellation)...BUT the catch-22 is that you MUST purchase the insurance within 14 days of your initial deposit if you want to be covered for pre-existing conditions. This is a must for us, so I wonder if any of you can answer this question: if we take advantage of the HAL $100/pp deposit on a future trip while we're aboard the Prinsendam in June, is this considered a true booking so that I'd have to obtain (and pay) for insurance immediately? Thanks for any input!

Is this "Cancellation for any reason". If so, which policy (is it through your TA or can an individual purchase it?

Is this "Cancellation for any reason". If so, which policy (is it through your TA or can an individual purchase it?

"Cancel for any reason" can be purchased from a 3rd party. I know there is at least 1 company listed on insure my trip. Hal also offers it. Neither give you 100% back for last minute cancellation, but is around 90%.

$1200 for 2 for a 10 day and also a 14 day. We have paid that for a number of years. $600pp. Good news it's refundable up to a point if you change your mind.. hopefully we never have to but you don't know what life has in store for you..:(

My TA priced out the Noordam for next March for my family of four. She priced out a VF balcony cabin and I think the price is reasinable for a 10day cruise but she says HAL is asking for a $600 deposit per person. Does that seem like a big deposit or is that HAL's norm? I'm used to about $250pp.

We are going to Alaska at catagorey SS and had to pit down $350 PP. $600 PP seams a lot to me.

Last month while on Maasdam, we purchased a "Future Cruise Deposit." The following information is included in the letter we received from the Onboard Cruise Consultant:

"This letter confirms that we have received payment for deposit in the amount of 100.00 USD per person toward a future cruise with Holland America. This prepaid deposit is valid for four years from the date of the purchase.

For purchasing your Future Cruise Deposit, you may enjoy the following benefits:

1. Your Future Cruise Deposit will be the only deposit needed until final payment.

2. At the time of confirmation, the appropriate shipboard credit will be applied to your booking.

7-11 day voyage........$25pp inside/outside........$35pp Verandah (VA/A-VF/BC)........$50pp Suite (PS-S/SY)

12+ day voyage........$50pp inside/outside........$75pp Verandah........$100pp Suite

Please contact your travel agent to arrange the details of your booking. Your travel agent will assist you with final payment schedule, pre and post packages, airline arrangements, airport transfers, gifts, special services, and any questions or changes you might have regarding your cruise.

Please note: This offer applies to the first two passengers in stateroom only and is not applicable to upper berth passengers. Passengers with single occupancy will receive a single person portion. Shipboard credit may only be used on a single voyage and expires at the end of that voyage. This offer or any unused portion is not redeemable for cash and is available to new bookings only. This offer is not combinable with the World Cruise, Grand Voyages or segments thereof."

We were given a form which includes our Mariner Numbers and a Future Cruise ID Number. The OCC told us all we have to do when we are ready to book is to give those numbers to the TA or Cruiseline, and it will serve as our deposit for the trip. I imagine that anyone who wants the cruiseline insurance will have to pay for that at booking, too, although I didn't specifically ask because we always buy third-party insurance.

I could have sworn that there was a limit to the length of the cruise that you could secure with the $100 deposit.....something like 39 days.....but I don't see that anywhere on my confirmation letter or form. Perhaps someone else knows whether there is a cutoff or whether I'm confusing it with something else.

I really think this is a great opportunity. For people who book their cruises a year or more out, you don't have to tie up a lot of money way ahead of time. It's also nice to know that you can take advantage of that good deal that comes along right at the time when you're not in a position to spend some big bucks.

I may be naive but I fail to understand the to-do about the dollar amount of HAL's deposit. Corporations in any type of business have the right to set and enforce policies as related to their product or service. As customers, if we don't like it we are free to take our biz elsewhere.

Archived