Tipping

VegasPinkGirl

I hope this hasn't already been covered. I thought tipping was done at the end of the cruise. Seems like I read that some people like to tip at the beginning of the cruise to assure good service. Is that an option? If you do tip at the beginning, do you tip with cash? I hadn't heard of this before so was curious about the 'before hand tipping.' Thanks!

We tip our room steward about $10 or $20 when we first ask for ice, etc. on the first day or so just as an incentive and to make sure our rooms are well taken care of. If we have a waiter who always makes sure I have a free soda with dinner, or a bartender who never lets our glasses be empty we give them a couple of bucks at the time as a thanks. The rest of the tipping we do at the end of the cruise after the service so we can tip as we feel necessary. We always tip cash. You will find a million different answers on these boards so good luck.

Hope you have a great cruise!!

Karla

Vegas - It is definitely not the norm to tip on the first day, although some folks do. I've never tipped in advance hoping for better service. I've always had excellent service with not one complaint on any of my cruises. You'll receive the same great service whether you do or not!

Actually, in chats with cabin stewards, a couple of them told me they have felt slightly offended that some passengers seem to feel they won't do their best job unless tipped early in the cruise.

Or a bribe!

I think it's unanimous! We do not "pre-tip", tip only in cash, at the end. I am not going to bribe our cabin steward to give us good service! LOL! If he's (or she) a bad steward, the service won't get better and you're out $20!! We have never had bad service, just to let you know, in 30+ cruises! :) We once had a waiter on the Grand Princess who had just been promoted to waiter from busboy, he was going through a divorce and was having such a hard time! Dinner was 2+ hours every night and very slow......The thing was, he was so pleasant about it and the Maitre'D would come over and assist him. We tipped him the recommended amount and I think he was shocked he got tipped. They work so hard though and they know they're working for the tips. The ones that are very good will always give good service/be pleasant, etc.....:)

I am one of those people that tip the cabin stewart early on. I ususally have a list of special requests (additional ice bucket, extra towels, a second deck chair) on the first day, and leave a $10 or $20 with the list. Depending on the lenght of the cruise and how many more request I've made I may leave a 2nd tip as well. The tips are more to ease my mind about the special request than to ensure good service. I always tip at the end - in cash as well.

Archived