Is a higher deck really more desirable?

skittl1321

I've booked an 8A for my first cruise and am on the main deck.

I'm happy with this location but everything I see about upgrades is that you are moved to a higher deck. Are higher decks really better?

It seems like being on a middle deck really offers you a lot of access to all the parts of the ship- and for a lot less money.

What level of the ship do you prefer?

It depends on the ship. For the Spirit and Pride I prefer level 4 aft wrap around or just an extended balcony. Have been on Empress deck, and a few others. Like the back of the ship the best so far, even thouh you get more vitration.

:-)

I've booked an 8A for my first cruise and am on the main deck.

I'm happy with this location but everything I see about upgrades is that you are moved to a higher deck. Are higher decks really better?

It seems like being on a middle deck really offers you a lot of access to all the parts of the ship- and for a lot less money.

What level of the ship do you prefer?

We do like the Empress deck aft :).. we recently had an 8A gty on t he Legend and were upgraded to an 8B.. would have preferred the 8A as our 8B cabin was just above the lifeboats.. and they happened to test out the boat below us and the whole cabin stunk of fuel.. and paint when they were doing maintenace.

If you have a balcony, higher is better, in terms of view. If not, or if you are prone to motion sickness, lower is better, because you dont move as much. But it really comes down to each ship and your proximity to the things you want to do. Some prefer to be close to the pool, or their main restaurant, or what have you. Me, I think any cabin on a ship is better than my bedroom at home, and leave it at that.

If you have a balcony, higher is better, in terms of view.

I've read that before, and don't really understand it. We've been on decks 6 through 9 (in balconies) and the only noticeable difference is that when we're lower, we can see the little flying fish. How is the view better when you're higher when you're just surrounded by water?

I rather be on the main deck, the deck thats closest to the Gangway, so when I head back to the ship on a Port day, I don't have to fight my way upstairs or wait in a long line for the elevators.

Fred

Doesn't hold any bearing for me. I've stayed on the Riviera (bottom) and Main (2nd to bottom) and booked for a cruise in a couple of weeks also on the Main. I don't book balcony rooms so it doesn't make much sense to pay for a regular oceanview room on a higher deck.

I rather be on the main deck, the deck thats closest to the Gangway, so when I head back to the ship on a Port day, I don't have to fight my way upstairs or wait in a long line for the elevators.

Fred

I agree! I would be happy with the 8A too.

We like aft balconies or balcony cabins midship. Our preference is to book a deck between two other passenger decks to minimize the noise from the Promenade and Lido decks. Sometimes it doesn't always work out that way booking an aft, but at least the noise and traffic is a lot less back there.

We like being nearer to the buffet where we can wander in for coffee and then later for breakfast when we are waking up.

But Im with someone with mobility problems so the elevator wait gets very old.

Higher is better to us, especially if they are giving away free upgrades, but any cabin with a view is preferable to one without no matter where it is...we will find a way to get to the buffet :)

We've never been anywhere but Riviera and Main (the lowest two floors). Our next booking is an inside on the Verandah deck (a past guest upgrade). We kind of like being on the bottom floors - we use the stairs the entire trip (unless I'm in high heels) so that we don't gain any weight eating all that food!:p

It's a little like hotels, where higher floors are often considered a better category also. Doesn't make sense considering higher floors are all farther from the facilities in a hotel.

But it's about the view, which IS better even when at sea, with a farther horizon and better views of ports and islands. On a ship you are generally closer to the pool deck which is the "location, location, location" of the ship.

Archived