Carnival is charging $50.00 for name change if the name is not spelled correctly??

westwingjazz

Guest YesitDonna

Yes. A name has to given as the legal name from the beginning for ticketing. If it has to be changed there is a charge. Now... if you told the TA at the beginning it was Jonathon and it came through as John then you tell the TA they either screwed it up and they need to pay for the change or.. if Carnival did it then they should go to Carnival in your behalf. If it was your screw up... you are SOL.

They do have a $50 name change fee, but from John to Jonathan, that is excessive. Your TA should be able to get it fixed without a problem. The $50 fee is intended as a fee for changing the person in your cabin. If Carnival is giving your TA a problem, it is something a supervisor can easily take care of, and to be honest with you, it isn't even really necessary.

IMHO, I would just go ahead and sail with the name the way it is before I'd pay the $50. The only big beef they give you is if the last name is completely different anyway. You should be fine.

Yep ... when I booked my first cruise, they emphasized to me that the name spelling had to be correct or the $50.00 name change fee would apply after final payment. My friend's name is Teresa, but I had it spelled with an "h" - Theresa. Luckily I got it corrected before final payment.

I just talked with my travel agent and I was told that Carnival will charge $50.00 for changing the name-from John to Johnathan.

Have you guys heard of such?

I know there is a fee for changing passengers but I'm not aware of a charge for correcting a name. When I booked a cruise with my DD, one of her friends and her parents went with us. I booked her friend in the room with us and after I booked it I realized I booked with her middle name since that's all I ever called her. It dawned on me that the name on the booking would need to match her ID so I called my TA and had it corrected. There was no charge for the correction. There was another time my last name was misspelled and there was no charge to correct that either.

They do have a $50 name change fee, but from John to Jonathan, that is excessive. Your TA should be able to get it fixed without a problem. The $50 fee is intended as a fee for changing the person in your cabin. If Carnival is giving your TA a problem, it is something a supervisor can easily take care of, and to be honest with you, it isn't even really necessary.

IMHO, I would just go ahead and sail with the name the way it is before I'd pay the $50. The only big beef they give you is if the last name is completely different anyway. You should be fine.

Hey thanks for the tip you guys...I calling CC right now. In fact, I am going through my e-mails in a minute to verify how I sent the name.

I just got off the Spirit and my bf's name is Michael .... Jr. We had his name as Mike (correct last name) and no Jr. No problems whatsoever. I hadn't realized how his name was spelled until after final pymt and I called my rep at carnival cruise lines. She said it's not a big deal because they will go by his birthdate.

When I cruised 2 yrs ago I had the same problem with a family member who's name is spelled Willie and not Willy (the way I spelled it when I was completing the reservation) and they changed it with no problem and no fee. And I didn't catch the mistake until we had all received our cruise docs. Now of course 2 yrs later I don't know what they're doing. But I sure would of been mad if they said "ok that will be $50".

Yes, we had to pay this fee last summer for my husband.

He goes by a nickname based on his middle name.

My daughter had made the initial reservation and I did not receive a confirmation email due to a glich between Carnival's computer and mine.

We made final payment on the day that we booked.

When we inquired we were told that the name on the ticket had to match his identification ...birth certificate or passport.

I did send an email to John Dickinson (used an e-mail address found on CC) in which I described what had happened and asked for obc. I got a call back and although I did not get obc I did get bar coupons and a cake.

Well, they were actually supposed to decorate the cabin, but they didn't.

When we got on board, I called them and they substituted a cake. Of course, there is no shortage of cake on board, but it was a little surprise for him anyway.

I guess the room not being decorated was a surprise for me.:eek:

This year I carefully checked all the names!

Yes, we had to pay this fee last summer for my husband.

He goes by a nickname based on his middle name.

My daughter had made the initial reservation and I did not receive a confirmation email due to a glich between Carnival's computer and mine.

We made final payment on the day that we booked.

When we inquired we were told that the name on the ticket had to match his identification ...birth certificate or passport.

I did send an email to John Dickinson (used an e-mail address found on CC) in which I described what had happened and asked for obc. I got a call back and although I did not get obc I did get bar coupons and a cake.

Who's JOHN? Do you mean BOB? :confused:

Same TA who has booked 6 cruises for me.....still can't spell my name correctly. Good idea to check your confirmation when booking......before docs are printed & received.

I made a booking online through Carnival in June 06; mispelled my brother's name (OK, in my defense, he goes by his nickname and I didn't realize his first name was not spelled "traditionally.") I called Carnival and they changed it, no problem, no charge.

Then, we went on a second cruise in March 07. My best friend's docs were under her married name, but her passport, DL, and other pieces of ID had her maiden name; no one blinked an eye.

However, that's probably a fluke, a exception to the rule.

I guess it all depends .... I have been charged for this in the past (HAL now charges a $100 fee), but I recently had to make a complete name change (one passenger replaced with another) after final payment and Carnival waived the fee. Guess it could be my TA doing his job, or I just got lucky. It does suggest that the $50 fee may be negotiable.

I made a booking online through Carnival in June 06; mispelled my brother's name (OK, in my defense, he goes by his nickname and I didn't realize his first name was not spelled "traditionally.") I called Carnival and they changed it, no problem, no charge.

Then, we went on a second cruise in March 07. My best friend's docs were under her married name, but her passport, DL, and other pieces of ID had her maiden name; no one blinked an eye.

However, that's probably a fluke, a exception to the rule.

Before final payment Carnival will make the change gratis.

I think "enforcement" would depend on how busy the check-in person is and/or what Homeland Security's color of the day is.

I guess it all depends .... I have been charged for this in the past (HAL now charges a $100 fee), but I recently had to make a complete name change (one passenger replaced with another) after final payment and Carnival waived the fee. Guess it could be my TA doing his job, or I just got lucky. It does suggest that the $50 fee may be negotiable.

Carnival also sees your platinum status and waives the fee for your good business.

I worked in Carnival Reservations for a long time. In my opinion, your TA dropped the ball. They know that it must match the passport/BC. Carnival reps just don't change a name when they are speaking with a travel agent from Johnathan to John, and if they did the travel agent probably has a number of faxes from Carnival that show how the name is spelled. The TA should have verified that John ( and any other passengers name ) was the name as it appeared on the BC or passport.

I seen it a hundred times, I say just pay the $50 and move on. :)

-Mike

Well, I just inspected my docs a little closer and noticed that Carnival had misspelled my 1st name as Phillip instead of Philip (only 1 L), so I gave them a call to correct it. Wasn't notified that there would be any charge, but would have to wait until I get to the pier to have them print out new tickets. :rolleyes:

We sailed on 3/10/07 on the Fanatsy. The tickets arrived from Carnival with one of the last names of my granddaughter misspelled. We called the TA as the name was correct on the comformation email. They said they would change it in the sytem but that the tickets would not be re-issued. Of course when we arrived it had not been changed. He showed them the birth certificate and the comformation email and there was no charge.

I just talked with my travel agent and I was told that Carnival will charge $50.00 for changing the name-from John to Johnathan.

Have you guys heard of such?

It's probably because going from John to Johnathan really isn't a spelling error.I would think that could be a totally different person.My name is misspelled all the time.It's spelled Kirsis(pronounced keer-sis) and is often misspelled as Krisis.

Not true a friend of mine missed her cruise because they would not let her hubby on the ship because his Birth Certificate is spelled "Westley" and his ticket said Wesley. They are very very strict about this.

Not true a friend of mine missed her cruise because they would not let her hubby on the ship because his Birth Certificate is spelled "Westley" and his ticket said Wesley. They are very very strict about this.

Well I guess it just depends on who checks you in, and how good of a mood they're in, because I've had a different experience than that on more than one occasion. Once they have just let it go without a deal, and another time they corrected it in the system, but they did not even hint at denying boarding for a simple typo.

Archived