You MAY Still Bring Non-Alcoholic Drinks On RCI

Just a point of clarification because I've read several threads over the last couple of days which left me with the impression that RCI was prohibiting passengers from bringing NON-ALCOHOLIC beverages like water and soda on board.

Our documents and RCI's website clearly states what the policy currently is:

Guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other purpose. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased from onboard shops or in ports of call (which must be presented to security upon re-boarding), will be secured by ship’s personnel and delivered to the guest’s stateroom just prior to the conclusion of the cruise. Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage, etc.) at any time, and those concealing or attempting to conceal alcohol will be

subject to action pursuant to the “Consequences Section” of this Guest Conduct Policy.

Guests under the age of 21 who possess alcohol in violation of this policy will not have alcohol returned to them and appropriate consequences will be considered, including but not limited to loss of privileges to use the disco or other areas or facilities of the ship.

Guests who violate any alcohol policy, including but not limited to underage drinking; providing alcohol to minor(s); possessing, concealing or attempting to conceal alcoholic items in their luggage, when boarding, or while on board; or failing to consume alcohol responsibly, will be considered for discipline

under the provisions of this policy.

Nowhere does it state that water, soda or other non-alcoholics beverages may not be brought on board. I'm sure most of you realized this distinction so forgive me for pointing this out. However, several other people were concerned about "juice boxes," "diet doctor pepper," "gatorade," etc., and I certainly got my wife in an uproar the other day when I told her that she could not bring on her Red Bull (after reading several posts with incorrect information on this subject). CARNIVAL has prohibited these non-alcoholic beverages, but at this point, RCI has NOT.

Hopes this helps put the kiddie's minds to rest that their juice boxes are, in fact, safe to bring!

P.S. - The recent cruise critic news article also had me concerned when it stated:

"Carnival's not even the first line to implement such a restriction. In a little noticed policy shift, Royal Caribbean already prohibits bringing nonalcoholic beverages onboard."

If anyone knows where RCI's policy states that soda, water, or other non-alcoholic beverages are prohibited, please let me know. I will abide with RCI's policies regarding alcohol because they are clear, but it is another thing to be told you can't bring on a non-alcoholic beverage if their policies do not clearly state this. If I missed this in RCI's policy, I'll be the first to admit the oversight, but if it is there, someone surely knows of it so please post it. Thanks!

lawtyger: I think that most people know what the documents say, and what has been, but there have been reports where non-alcoholic drinks were *not* allowed.

The one I remember most clearly was someone trying to bring on a DOLLY-FULL, something like three or four cases! THAT was taken away and not allowed onboard.

Like most things, the outrageous actions of a few can spoil it for the majority.

Let's all use common sense.

:)

Thank you for this post! I thought that RCI did not allow any beverages to be brought on board. I'm so glad that I can bring a case of Diet Pepsi! :)

Darci, I wouldn't count on being able to bring on A CASE. A six pack, no problem. A 12-pack, probably. They may balk at a case. It's hard to predict, especially since things could change between now and August. :)

I'm not so sure about that...I called Royal Caribbean twice this weekend (to talk to two different representatives) and asked if I could bring bottled water and a case of Dr. Pepper onboard. Both told me, "Absolutely not, no liquids may be brought onboard due to new security restrictions." We plan on packing a few cans of Dr. Pepper in our checked luggage.

I was thinking of a 12-pack. I guess it's the 24-packs that are actually called a "case." Yeah, I'm sort of expecting this rule to be changed before we sail. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I don't have to spend 9 days drinking Diet Coke (or water).

Thank you for this post! I thought that RCI did not allow any beverages to be brought on board. I'm so glad that I can bring a case of Diet Pepsi! :)

You are welcome. I'm glad this put you somewhat at ease. My review of the policies certainly made us feel a lot better and we will continue to bring a couple of two liters and our Red Bull as we usually do on our cruises. I also hope that the cruise critic site may clarifiy this issue one way or the other because by posting as front page news RCI's "little noticed policy shift" prohibiting non-alcoholic beverages, I believe MANY people read that as gospel. I'm wondering if that was more based on information in threads than actually RCI written policy. There is a difference.

The policy is what it is - it is what they establish in writing. If someone attempts to take your non-alcoholic beverages away, TELL THEM to show you where it says such a beverage is prohibited. As far as bringing a dolly of non-alcoholic beverages goes, well. . . that's just beyond what 99.9% of people contemplate doing and I certainly don't plan on doing that. That's certainly not a example that causes me the least bit of concern.

P.S. - The recent cruise critic news article also had me concerned when it stated:

"Carnival's not even the first line to implement such a restriction. In a little noticed policy shift, Royal Caribbean already prohibits bringing nonalcoholic beverages onboard."

A recent cruise critic article also states that the newly refurbished Majesty of the Seas charges for food in the new Compass Deli. This has been confirmed by several cruise critic members to not be true.

It seems experience is the only way to find out the truth of these matters. I intend to take just a few orally consumable liquids on board on Thursday. :D If they take any of it away from us, I'll report it here for sure.

I'm not so sure about that...I called Royal Caribbean twice this weekend (to talk to two different representatives) and asked if I could bring bottled water and a case of Dr. Pepper onboard. Both told me, "Absolutely not, no liquids may be brought onboard due to new security restrictions." We plan on packing a few cans of Dr. Pepper in our checked luggage.

Did you ask the RCI representative to direct you to where in their written policies or guest conduct policy it said that no liquides may be brought onboard (ie. your water and Dr. Pepper)?

A recent cruise critic article also states that the newly refurbished Majesty of the Seas charges for food in the new Compass Deli. This has been confirmed by several cruise critic members to not be true.

It seems experience is the only way to find out the truth of these matters. I intend to take just a few orally consumable liquids on board on Thursday. :D If they take any of it away from us, I'll report it here for sure.

You are right, your own actual experience is what should guide you. I'm a huge fan of this forum and if I hear the word "cruise" come out of someone's mouth, the first thing I say is "you've got to go to cruisecritic.com and learn about your ship and ports." That said, this is a "forum" with many opinions and unfortunately, occassionally inaccurate information based on these opinions.

Actually, if we would like to get technical and quote RCI's cruise contract, it says:

2. (a) Each adult Passenger is permitted to carry up to two hundred pounds (200 lbs.) of luggage aboard the Vessel. In no event shall any Passenger bring on board the Vessel, or in connection with the RCT Land Tour, any controlled substances, live animals, weapons, firearms, explosives or other similar property without written permission from Carrier. Carrier reserves the right to refuse to permit any Passenger to take on board the Vessel or on any mode of Transport any item Carrier deems inappropriate.

I am not allow caffeine..........yes no choc. either( but i do cheat a little on that) and have always brought one of those 24 can cases on Caffeine free Pepsi on board with me and have never been stopped. Just to be on safe side, have a doctors note. Wondering how they will handle that

We are restricted in what we can pack as far as luggage as we are traveling within Europe once we finish our Transatlantic and we are going to bring as part of our checked in luggage some soda(Diet Dr. Pepper) and we feel that it will not be excessive, but we do plan to check it in..hope we get it

Marlene

I am not allow caffeine..........yes no choc. either( but i do cheat a little on that) and have always brought one of those 24 can cases on Caffeine free Pepsi on board with me and have never been stopped. Just to be on safe side, have a doctors note. Wondering how they will handle that

The doctors note that I read about previously really cracks me up. Can't anyone write up a "doctor's note"? Is RCI planning on verifying these notes? Do they have a list of every licensed physician in the country?

Actually, if we would like to get technical and quote RCI's cruise contract, it says:

2. (a) Each adult Passenger is permitted to carry up to two hundred pounds (200 lbs.) of luggage aboard the Vessel. In no event shall any Passenger bring on board the Vessel, or in connection with the RCT Land Tour, any controlled substances, live animals, weapons, firearms, explosives or other similar property without written permission from Carrier. Carrier reserves the right to refuse to permit any Passenger to take on board the Vessel or on any mode of Transport any item Carrier deems inappropriate.

Sure, as a catch all I'm sure the argument can be made that RCI can state as you board the ship "we deem that juice box is 'INAPPROPRIATE'." Come on, it's Sunday night, my brain doesn't like to think about the law until Monday mornings usually. Given the other items described in that paragraph "live animals, weapons, firearms, explosives or other similar property. . ." I don't think a kids weekly supply of "juice boxes" are what they have in mind as an "inappropriate" item.

We are not talking about odd exceptions to the general rules that require a catch all phrase like this. . . the carrying on of non-alcholic beverages is something that the vast majority of cruisers wonders about. A policy preventing this should be in writing, and will not fall under the phrase you found. If it does, RCI is going to have a lot of pissed off customers and that is not what they want.

The policy clearly prohibits "alcohol" short and sweet, and goes on to state they "may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol." What they may "dispose of" are containers containing alcohol, not non-alcoholic beverages. If your "policy" states that you can "inspect" water bottles and soda bottles and will dispose of them if they contain alcohol, implicitedly they will not be disposed of if they do not contain alcohol.

I can't make RCI follow their own policy, but I can certainly point it out to them if they act outside of it.

The doctors note that I read about previously really cracks me up. Can't anyone write up a "doctor's note"? Is RCI planning on verifying these notes? Do they have a list of every licensed physician in the country?

My guess is that RCI is going to smile (and later laugh) and say have a great cruise. RCI probably won't plan on doing anything with this note because, again, unless I missed it, there is no requirement that a person bring a doctor's note for caffeine. They will likely wonder what the heck is this person giving me a doctor's note for, especially for caffeine.

Caffeine is not prohibited (but their is always StormGoddesses technicality about an "inappropriate" item - just kidding, maybe they will call the soda inappropriate and kindly offer to you the opportunity to purchase and soda card so you may drink as much caffeine as you like for seven days). The real issue in this particular case goes right back to the non-alcoholic issue - are they allowed. NO WRITTEN POLICY PROHIBITS THEM, that's all I'm saying.

Sure, as a catch all I'm sure the argument can be made that RCI can state as you board the ship "we deem that juice box is 'INAPPROPRIATE'." Come on, it's Sunday night, my brain doesn't like to think about the law until Monday mornings usually. Given the other items described in that paragraph "live animals, weapons, firearms, explosives or other similar property. . ." I don't think a kids weekly supply of "juice boxes" are what they have in mind as an "inappropriate" item.

We are not talking about odd exceptions to the general rules that require a catch all phrase like this. . . the carrying on of non-alcholic beverages is something that the vast majority of cruisers wonders about. A policy preventing this should be in writing, and will not fall under the phrase you found. If it does, RCI is going to have a lot of pissed off customers and that is not what they want.

The policy clearly prohibits "alcohol" short and sweet, and goes on to state they "may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol." What they may "dispose of" are containers containing alcohol, not non-alcoholic beverages. If your "policy" states that you can "inspect" water bottles and soda bottles and will dispose of them if they contain alcohol, implicitedly they will not be disposed of if they do not contain alcohol.

I can't make RCI follow their own policy, but I can certainly point it out to them if they act outside of it.

The whole general point of my quoting that and my post was...

who are you to say that we CAN bring such and such on board.

Each person has had different experiences at different times. You can fight it till your blue. The plain and simple of it is they can refuse anyone boarding at anytime for ANY reason.

You are welcome. I'm glad this put you somewhat at ease. My review of the policies certainly made us feel a lot better and we will continue to bring a couple of two liters and our Red Bull as we usually do on our cruises. I also hope that the cruise critic site may clarifiy this issue one way or the other because by posting as front page news RCI's "little noticed policy shift" prohibiting non-alcoholic beverages, I believe MANY people read that as gospel. I'm wondering if that was more based on information in threads than actually RCI written policy. There is a difference.

The policy is what it is - it is what they establish in writing. If someone attempts to take your non-alcoholic beverages away, TELL THEM to show you where it says such a beverage is prohibited. As far as bringing a dolly of non-alcoholic beverages goes, well. . . that's just beyond what 99.9% of people contemplate doing and I certainly don't plan on doing that. That's certainly not a example that causes me the least bit of concern.

Not trying to be difficult, but what you need to understand is that there have been several cases recently where passengers have in fact reported that the non-alcoholic beverages they were bringing aboard were in fact turned away by ship personnel. This information is not based on threads, but on actual experience from folks we know, and in one situation, sealed bottled water wasn't even allowed.

So it really doesn't matter what your written documents say...the policy is not being handled consistently across all ships, and it's very frustrating to passengers because you basically never have a firm grip on what you can and can't do.

When you challenge them at the dock, asking them to show you where you're not allowed to bring on the item in question, what's your next suggestion for when you're denied boarding? They have the right to do that as well, you know. Sure, I guess we could go home and start a lawsuit and write letter after letter to RCI, but it just seems easier to let them take the item and go on with our vacation.

I for one would just like to have a definitive policy in place that is consistently applied across the board, and not just depending on what mood the RCI employee is in on that particular day. While I strongly disagree with the alcohol policy, I can live with it...but when I'm told I can't even bring on an item that is legal even in the hands of a 3 year old, that's going way too far. After all, the ship is basically a floating hotel, and no land-based hotel would tell me I couldn't bring in a cooler of Pepsi (on our last cruise, we could only get Coke products--what a loooong week).

My point is this: While you are correct in what you're posting...it really doesn't matter who's correct if the person at the dock is enforcing the policy differently. And folks on here need to know that the possibility exists that their non-alcoholic beverages "may" not get onboard. I for one will go ahead and try it. But I also appreciate knowing that the possibility exists that I might not make it onboard with the items...that way, I'm not caught off guard when and if it happens.

I believe Stormgoddess has it right. Cruise line contracts are written in such a manner to allow decisions at their discretion - a specific written policy regarding nonalcoholic drinks is not required. However, it would seem good public relations (an oxymoron here) to clearly state and distribute the policy to eliminate confrontations and anger at the embarkation ( and simplify our packing).

However, it would seem good public relations (an oxymoron here) to clearly state and distribute the policy to eliminate confrontations and anger at the embarkation ( and simplify our packing).

Very well stated!! :) (Oh, and welcome to Cruise Critic!)

This note is on her legal prescription pad.....so i do not think it is something anyone can just make up. And I was not joking about it, I can not tolerate caffeine, and the cruiseline does not have caffeine free pepsi or even coke. If they did I would glady pay for the soda card and that would be the end of the problem.

This note is on her legal prescription pad.....so i do not think it is something anyone can I up. And I was not joking about it, I can not tolerate caffeine, and the cruiseline does not have caffeine free pepsi or even coke. If they did I would glady pay for the soda card and that would be the end of the problem.

Oh, I have absolutely no problem with you doing what you are doing, but here is what I do:

I take those little packets of Crystal Light (or other brands) that are sized for a half liter water bottle. Instant caffeine-free diet drinks! And in multiple flavors!

I can definitely understand what the thought process is on what RCCL puts in writing and what they do not and I agree with all that.:) From experience I can tell you that they can do and allow or reject whatever they please at anytime and there are enough disclaimers on all their printed material to be able to do that legally however they may honor some things. If they stop you trying to board with a case of soda, they are within their right to do so or they wouldn't even attempt it. Go ahead, try to bring on what you want and see what happens. As far as asking RCCL customer service, I can call 3 different people right now and get you 3 different answers so lets just say inconsistent at best. If you are willing to risk it, try it, you may get lucky but there have been too many posts from people who have experienced the new policys recently where it is not being allowed any longer. I can see where you may get away with a 6 pack of soda or water in your luggage but walking by with a case or more? Try it, is all I can say and let us know. :)

This is one of my favorite parts of the cruise ticket contract we all sign:) " # 3. No undertaking or warranty shall be given or shall be implied as to the seaworthiness, fitness or condition of the vessel or any food or drink supplied onboard. "

If they do not even have to warranty the seaworthiness of the ship, I do not think they have to let anyone bring soda onboard either. LOL! :D

This is found in all cruiselines contracts not just RCCL. ;)

Oh, I have absolutely no problem with you doing what you are doing, but here is what I do:

I take those little packets of Crystal Light (or other brands) that are sized for a half liter water bottle. Instant caffeine-free diet drinks! And in multiple flavors!

What an excellent idea! I drink Crystal Light often, but hadn't even thought of bringing any on our short cruise this month...will definitely add these to my 'pre-cruise' shopping list. Thanks MM! :)

Archived