Vancouver-Accepted Bid on Priceline

tapia

I know it's not common to usually post winning bids on here, but I've been trying for a while now to get something less than $240 for one of the 4* hotels in Vancouver.

So, I won at $140 for the Pacific Palisades for a 1 night stay (friday night) in July.

.......just thought people might be interested.

I know it's not common to usually post winning bids on here, but I've been trying for a while now to get something less than $240 for one of the 4* hotels in Vancouver.

So, I won at $140 for the Pacific Palisades for a 1 night stay (friday night) in July.

Thanks for posting this, tapia. After hearing about $60 hotel rooms in the Summer of 2006, I was hoping for the same in June this year. I tried Priceline for months off and on with no luck. The best I could do was given an email at $120 asking to bid around $145. I never countered because I was hoping for less than that. Maybe it will happen but I'm not holding out too much hope. Congratulations on your winning bid.

Thanks for posting this, tapia. After hearing about $60 hotel rooms in the Summer of 2006, I was hoping for the same in June this year. I tried Priceline for months off and on with no luck. The best I could do was given an email at $120 asking to bid around $145. I never countered because I was hoping for less than that. Maybe it will happen but I'm not holding out too much hope. Congratulations on your winning bid.

Yeah, I heard about the $60-90 bids last year, but I was searching around better bidding & bidding for travel (both priceline websites) and they didn't think that was going to happen again since the $60-90 bids started around December 2005 for the next summer.

So, I was trying and trying and I finally went for the $140 (the last time I could bid for the day) and it accepted.

Good luck!

I got frustrated with priceline and took a chance on a 5 star hotel offered on Hotwire. My cancellable back up was $125 so I was going for anything cheaper with more stars. Using betterbidding, I was pretty sure the hotel was the Pan Pacific and it was. Got it for $119. It is going to be great to get off the ship, take an elevator up two floors and check in to the hotel. It will be a great ending to the trip.:)

I got frustrated with priceline and took a chance on a 5 star hotel offered on Hotwire. My cancellable back up was $125 so I was going for anything cheaper with more stars. Using betterbidding, I was pretty sure the hotel was the Pan Pacific and it was. Got it for $119. It is going to be great to get off the ship, take an elevator up two floors and check in to the hotel. It will be a great ending to the trip.:)

Congrats on great rate. What month is this for?

That's great, Matt! I just checked Hotwire for our pre-cruise night (June 3rd), and the 5-star hotel (assuming it's the Pan Pacific) is going for $199 plus fees. Think I'll stick with our free night at the Westin Bayshore using Starwood points.

Actually, the 5 star hotel could be Sutton Place also, so be careful if you really want the Pan Pacific. But, I think either is amazing and would have gone for it. But, hotwire never showed a 5 star on my date, so I didn't even have the option.

That's great, Matt! I just checked Hotwire for our pre-cruise night (June 3rd), and the 5-star hotel (assuming it's the Pan Pacific) is going for $199 plus fees. Think I'll stick with our free night at the Westin Bayshore using Starwood points.

Nancy,

You will love the Westin! We saved touring Stanley Park for the day of the cruise since its right next to it. We had ample time for breakfast, checking out, and using the free Stanley Park shuttle bus to get around Stanley Park. We highlighted what we wanted to see in the park prior to boarding the shuttle and then got off only at the stops interesting to us. The actual ride around the park was even worth it.

We had the hotel hold our luggage at checkout and returned for our prearranged 2PM free hotel shuttle ride to Canada Place. A tip to the driver at curbside and a tip to the luggage handlers and we were ready to cruise!

BTW, be prepared for the little skit the luggage handlers put on;

One will dramatically pretend to hand "the ten dollars that the last couple wanted you to have" to his coworker. All within view and earshot of YOU. We found it humerous, and of course, we gave $10!

Eileen

Congratulations on the winning bid. What was the normal rate at that hotel when you bid for the night you are staying? That will help give some comparison/ratio/possible help to others with future bidding.

Congratulations on the winning bid. What was the normal rate at that hotel when you bid for the night you are staying? That will help give some comparison/ratio/possible help to others with future bidding.

The normal rate is $250 Canadian Dollars. I won it at $140 American Dollars. I am not sure how to do the exchange rate......but, hope that helps.

Nancy,

You will love the Westin! We saved touring Stanley Park for the day of the cruise since its right next to it. We had ample time for breakfast, checking out, and using the free Stanley Park shuttle bus to get around Stanley Park. We highlighted what we wanted to see in the park prior to boarding the shuttle and then got off only at the stops interesting to us. The actual ride around the park was even worth it.

We had the hotel hold our luggage at checkout and returned for our prearranged 2PM free hotel shuttle ride to Canada Place. A tip to the driver at curbside and a tip to the luggage handlers and we were ready to cruise!

BTW, be prepared for the little skit the luggage handlers put on;

One will dramatically pretend to hand "the ten dollars that the last couple wanted you to have" to his coworker. All within view and earshot of YOU. We found it humerous, and of course, we gave $10!

Eileen

Eileen - we really enjoyed our stay at the Westin Bayshore on a non-cruise vacation a few years ago, so we're happy to be returning there. Unfortunately - we'll be there so early in June that the Stanley Park shuttle will not have started, but I do hope to walk there the morning we cruise. Thanks for the info about the Westin shuttle to Canada Place - very good to know.

I just made a 145.00 bid on priceline and it was accepted. It was for a four star property for a one night stay May 15. The property they gave me is The Sutton Place. I sure hope its nice. Happy bidding & Happy sailing.....

I just made a 145.00 bid on priceline and it was accepted. It was for a four star property for a one night stay May 15. The property they gave me is The Sutton Place. I sure hope its nice. Happy bidding & Happy sailing.....

Wow, now I'm jealous! This hotel is rated 5* on hotwire (at least it was a couple months ago). You'll LOVE it. You probably could have gotten a 4* cheaper for a Wed, but that's a GREAT price for Sutton! Congrats!

Wow, now I'm jealous! This hotel is rated 5* on hotwire (at least it was a couple months ago). You'll LOVE it. You probably could have gotten a 4* cheaper for a Wed, but that's a GREAT price for Sutton! Congrats!

Hotwire often rates hotels with higher star levels than priceline. That is why sites like betterbidding and biddingfortravel are good - they have hotel lists with various star levels/zones and in betterbidding's case, amenities for hotwire's hotels. Makes it easier to figure out which hotel or possible hotel you might get.

In any case, I trust you are pleased tapia with your winning bid.

Congrats on great rate. What month is this for?

We will be in Vancouver on Monday, June 18th. I think the price we got is due to the fact it is a Monday. On Hotwire, Sutton Place has a golf icon while the Pan Pacific does not. When I looked it up on betterbidding, I couldn't believe it. I would have been happy with either one, but I really wanted the Pan Pacific. We are really pumped. I love to stay at really nice hotels but I hate paying for them. I just checked Hotwire, for anyone in Vancouver June 18, they still have it listed.

I also used Hotwire for our precruise hotel in Anchorage. We got the Extended Stay America (formerly the Aspen) for $36/nt. That one I am little worried about because it was so cheap. For some reason, my wife has a thing about bed bugs :). She will never forgive me if the hotel is a bad one. Isn't it funny about price?....if it's too good, we are suspicious. If it does turn out to be a nightmare, at least I can say we got the Pan Pacific to look forward to.

We will be in Vancouver on Monday, June 18th. I think the price we got is due to the fact it is a Monday. On Hotwire, Sutton Place has a golf icon while the Pan Pacific does not. When I looked it up on betterbidding, I couldn't believe it. I would have been happy with either one, but I really wanted the Pan Pacific. We are really pumped. I love to stay at really nice hotels but I hate paying for them. I just checked Hotwire, for anyone in Vancouver June 18, they still have it listed.

I also used Hotwire for our precruise hotel in Anchorage. We got the Extended Stay America (formerly the Aspen) for $36/nt. That one I am little worried about because it was so cheap. For some reason, my wife has a thing about bed bugs :). She will never forgive me if the hotel is a bad one. Isn't it funny about price?....if it's too good, we are suspicious. If it does turn out to be a nightmare, at least I can say we got the Pan Pacific to look forward to.

Thanks for the info about the Pan Pacific vs the Sutton Place. The 5* hotel I thought might be the Pan Pacific has a "golf nearby" icon - so it's the Sutton Place.

The downtown Extended Stay Deluxe in Anchorage got pretty good write-ups in guidebooks when it was the Aspen Hotel. We also got that hotel on Hotwire for $37 + fees, after fti posted about his success there. (Thanks again, fti!) It's just for one night after our cruise ends - so we'll make do at that price. :)

I too am hoping the Extended Stay Deluxe in downtown Anchorage will be acceptable. My friend is staying there July 1 by himself, we are both staying there July 5 on our way from Denali to Seward, and I booked a room there for the night of July 12 even though I will only use it for 5-6 hours after returning from Katmai before a red eye to Minneapolis.

I have stayed in normal Extended Stay properties. They are spartan but clean. There are several of them in Minnesota. The "deluxe" ones have free breakfast, a pool and free internet from what I understand. The Anchorage one even has free airport transportation. Maybe the first one back after staying there can let others know how it was.

I stayed at the Extended Stay suites in Anchorage summer before last. It is, as fti stated, spartan, but acceptable. Lots of room in the bedroom and a nice sitting room and kitchen. I was at a meeting, so I was barely there, but I had no complaints except that they tried to make me pay extra for two queens instead of one king. The first room they gave us smelled funky too, and I made them change us.

I too am hoping the Extended Stay Deluxe in downtown Anchorage will be acceptable. My friend is staying there July 1 by himself, we are both staying there July 5 on our way from Denali to Seward, and I booked a room there for the night of July 12 even though I will only use it for 5-6 hours after returning from Katmai before a red eye to Minneapolis.

I have stayed in normal Extended Stay properties. They are spartan but clean. There are several of them in Minnesota. The "deluxe" ones have free breakfast, a pool and free internet from what I understand. The Anchorage one even has free airport transportation. Maybe the first one back after staying there can let others know how it was.

GlacierLady has stayed there several times recently, and gave a good report (post # 17): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=9060640#post9060640

Archived