experiences renting cars on St Maarten

Has anyone had experiences with renting cars on the Island of St Maarten? Are rental agencies near the dock? Any problems with agencies being closed when you try to bring the car back early? We could use any help that anyone has. We will be on the Island in May and would like to be able to drive over to Marigot on our own without having to go on a tour bus? Thanks

We have rented a car on St Martin. It was about two years ago. I reserved online(but you could wait until you arrive), I think it was Budget, there are three or four car rental agencies right at the dock.

We filled out the paperwork and they drove us down the road , about a mile, to get our car.

No problem driving, they drive on the right side of the road just like we do. If I remember correctly, it was about $35.00 for the day.

We just rented from Arthurs car rental. He was right outside the gate a short walk but he was cheaper than the national brands, we return it to him and put the key in the drop. we enjoyed our day!

A question for demodawn, since the key is dropped in a lockbox of sorts, can the car be returned AFTER 5 PM? This is when the rental agencies close inside the pier area and we are on the Explorer which hangs around til 9 PM.

Also, do you have Arthur's e-mail address?

As for the OP, there are 5 agencies inside the pier area, Hertz, Budget and 3 locals. The 3 locals are cheapest, then Budget and Hertz. But at least the name brands give you a late model car filled with gas. A Corolla with gas used replaced (cash only Texaco station outside the pier area), insurance and tax will run $60 -70 total. US insurance is not good here.

Here's a warning from a med student living on the island...

Car Rentals? DO NOT rent from this guy!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you looking for a place to rent a car, do not choose Arthur's Car rental. I have had the worst experience I have ever had dealing with this guy. He gave me the worst car that breaks constantly. Instead of replacing the car or lending me one while he fixes it he will leave me carless. I live off-campus so getting school has been a nightmare, not to mention the countless times I have been stranded on a road from my car breaking. And to top it off, I requested a different car and he was incredibly rude to me. He has offended me numerous times and tried to blame these mechanical defects on myself. If I could, I would cancel my contract to never have to deal with him again. One of my friends has had a similar problem so I doubt that its just a coincidence of bad luck happening to me. Sorry for the bad news but I thought people should know if they are searching for a car rental. Happy huntings and good luck!

Here's a warning from a med student living on the island...

Car Rentals? DO NOT rent from this guy!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you looking for a place to rent a car, do not choose Arthur's Car rental. I have had the worst experience I have ever had dealing with this guy. He gave me the worst car that breaks constantly. Instead of replacing the car or lending me one while he fixes it he will leave me carless. I live off-campus so getting school has been a nightmare, not to mention the countless times I have been stranded on a road from my car breaking. And to top it off, I requested a different car and he was incredibly rude to me. He has offended me numerous times and tried to blame these mechanical defects on myself. If I could, I would cancel my contract to never have to deal with him again. One of my friends has had a similar problem so I doubt that its just a coincidence of bad luck happening to me. Sorry for the bad news but I thought people should know if they are searching for a car rental. Happy huntings and good luck!

Why in heavan's name would you continue to do this after the first time? I used Platinum car rental the last time I was there. It was one of the ones by the pier...was it the best car no it was what I call rent a wreck but it was the best car because no one would have broken into it, I couldn't have added a dent if I tried and it ran great....sometimes the nicest looking car isn't the best and it was more than $35.00 I opted for the additional insurance even though my credit card would cover because I knew I would be ripped off if I didn't. there is also a $12.50 charge for the dock and gas....but I had I great time in the car....and made it all around the island.

PS if you do a search on the port of calls thread for this island more car rental info will pop up...

mauimary, I've used Arthur's and they were incredibly responsive and courteous. I asked for a Jeep and I got a Jeep, not some Suzuki or other Jeep like vehicle which others had rented me in the past. I returned the Jeep early as we usually just use it for 1/2 day and shop in Phillipsburg the other half day. We had no problems at all and will use him in the future.

Diane

We used Hertz. Altho probably not the cheapest - we received an almost brand new Jeep Wrangler and had a blast touring the whole island (including Marigot) with the top off :)

We took it off-road too.... went down some roads (I use that term loosely) to some beaches that were totally emtpy..... beautiful.

We also rented on Antigua and in San Juan....called the international 800 # and got a really nice and helpful customer service rep who booked all three at once.

We paid around $ 100.00 for the day.....including insurance and to fill it up with gas to return..... but there were two couples so we split the cost ....

We mostly rent cars when we travel as we do not like organized tours and usually use Hertz. Havent been sorry yet.

In Feb. and March of this year, we rented a car for the day's cruise stop from Reynold's at the rental car kiosks near the dock. We got (negotiated) an older (2000 or so I believe) Corolla for $50 inc. all tax and port fees. Gas was extra. Cars were fine and got us around the island both times. Only problem was on one horn push on control on steering wheel stuck on once but it went off when I pulled on it.

Thankyou for your replies. We appreciate everyones help. We too have rented on Aruba and the main problem we had was trying to bring the car back early. No one was at the rental booth. We did not want to just leave the car as there were no places in the lot -they told us to just park it on the street. The security at the gate told us to leave the keys with them. We of course did not do that-

Our concern is trying to bring a car back early and have it checked back in. We do not want to risk surprises. How is the traffic getting around the island?

Another question? Has anyone hired a taxi for the round trip to Marigot?

We rented a car in St. Maarten in July 2006 from Avis. It's about a 10 minute walk from the pier. It was a great experience. The agent gave us our choice of two different cars, she gave us her cell phone number in case we had any problems and we could drop the car off at any time. The keys can be dropped at the restaurant at Dock Marten next to the rental location. We're renting again next month. We're paying $67 dollars including taxes and insurance.

Has anyone had experiences with renting cars on the Island of St Maarten? Are rental agencies near the dock? Any problems with agencies being closed when you try to bring the car back early? We could use any help that anyone has. We will be on the Island in May and would like to be able to drive over to Marigot on our own without having to go on a tour bus? Thanks

We were there in December and we rented a car and went to Maho Beach...etc Well, the roads are narrow and some get very busy at certain times of the day. Certain parts of the island may only have one road in and out. We found this out the hard way. We left when we felt we would have enough time to get back ( making a long story short) and ended up missing the ship and having fly to St .Thomas the next morning. So, if you rent a car, plan enough time to get back to the car drop off and back to the ship.

Archived