New York Harbour Cruise - which one please? Also HOHO buses

Miss Jolly

Sorry, I posted this thread at 1am in the morning and was obviously too tired to realise that I had not mentioned which city we will be visiting. We are looking forward to our 3 night stopover IN NEW YORK :o on the way from Australia to Europe. My husband and I will be bringing our two young teenagers. My husband and I have visited New York before but it will be the children's first visit. We will be there the first weekend of August. With tickets to the Yankees and Broadway, time is already running out. After advice from these boards, we have decided not to actually go to the Statue of Liberty but rather take a cruise by instead. Again from advice here, I have been looking into thre suggested cruises: The Lady Liberty Cruise; Zephyr and Downtown Harbor Liberty Cruise. We enjoy sightseeing on the water and want to see as much as possible in New York. We hope to cover lots on the Sunday as it is our one uninterrupted day. I'm sorry to offend - I would be horrified to think that someone would expect to see Sydney in one day too!:rolleyes: Which cruise would you advise us to take please? Also, do you think we should take the HOHO bus? We are happy to walk but concerned about time. However, we will be travelling for 2 months so need to keep costs to a minimum.

Thank you for your help.:)

Jennie

We take all of our friends who come to NYC and want to do a cruise to the Circle Line - it's probably the most famous and one of them will take you all the way around Manhattan:

http://www.circleline42.com/

Thanks Willsgrandma. Which blue circle line cruise do you prefer - Zephyr or Downtown Liberty Cruise?

Jennie

Sorry, I posted this thread at 1am in the morning and was obviously too tired to realise that I had not mentioned which city we will be visiting. We are looking forward to our 3 night stopover IN NEW YORK :o on the way from Australia to Europe. My husband and I will be bringing our two young teenagers. My husband and I have visited New York before but it will be the children's first visit. We will be there the first weekend of August. With tickets to the Yankees and Broadway, time is already running out. After advice from these boards, we have decided not to actually go to the Statue of Liberty but rather take a cruise by instead. Again from advice here, I have been looking into thre suggested cruises: The Lady Liberty Cruise; Zephyr and Downtown Harbor Liberty Cruise. We enjoy sightseeing on the water and want to see as much as possible in New York. We hope to cover lots on the Sunday as it is our one uninterrupted day. I'm sorry to offend - I would be horrified to think that someone would expect to see Sydney in one day too!:rolleyes: Which cruise would you advise us to take please? Also, do you think we should take the HOHO bus? We are happy to walk but concerned about time. However, we will be travelling for 2 months so need to keep costs to a minimum.

Thank you for your help.:)

Jennie

G'day Jennie

I'm from the Sunshine Coast, Queensland. Hubby and I will be New York for three days end of November before we spend ten days on the QM2. Like you, I am busy trying to find the best tours to do in the time alloted there.

I would be interested to get a copy of your review of your New York stay when you arrive back home. My website has an email button.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/marleneann/

Marleneann.

G'day Jennie

I'm from the Sunshine Coast, Queensland. Hubby and I will be New York for three days end of November before we spend ten days on the QM2. Like you, I am busy trying to find the best tours to do in the time alloted there.

I would be interested to get a copy of your review of your New York stay when you arrive back home. My website has an email button.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/marleneann/

Marleneann.

Hi Marleneann.

I'll let you know how we go. I am just trying at the moment to sort out which cruise is best. Last night I booked our tickets for Empire State Building. They are open ended and so we booked now as we are trying to pre-pay as much as possible whilst the Aussie Dollar is up. We saved nearly $1,000 on the balance of our European cruise with the increased value of our dollar. We have tickets to the New York Yankees and also to see "Wicked" on Broadway. I am anxiously awaiting advoce here on the HOHO bus and the harbour cruises. Lucky you having a cruise on the QM11. I have beautiful photos of her visit to Sydney. I'll email them to you if you would like me to.

By the way, my inlaws live at Buderim. Keep in touch. Jennie

Thanks Willsgrandma. Which blue circle line cruise do you prefer - Zephyr or Downtown Liberty Cruise?

Jennie

The Zephyr and Downtown are not the same as the Circle Line cruises - the Circle line cruises are more in depth and last longer than the hour the Downtown and Zephyr's are.

Both of those seem to me to be the same, so either is okay.

If you want more detail and to see more of the island, I'd do a Circle Line.

Hi Jennie,

I just moved to New Jersey 8 years ago, and we visit the city often. Last year my friends came from Michigan for a visit. Money was tight and so was time..so we took the free Staten Island Ferry across from NYC and back. It goes by the Statue of Liberty and gives nice views of the city as well. It was close enough to get a good view and some pictures. Here's one....

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r235/LovesMist/StatueOfLiberty.jpg

You've picked some great places to visit. If you choose to do the Staten Island Ferry it is close to the World Trade Center area (walking distance) The route to the WTC will take you past the Wall Street Bull. And from the World Trade Center area you can take the PATH train to NJ...just a short ride (a few minutes) and I think $1.50 per person each way. But you will get wonderful views of the city from the pier there at Exchange Place. It's the very first stop. I have so many pictures from there...but here is one I was able to quickly find.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r235/LovesMist/NYCfromNJa.jpg

Be sure not to miss Times Square at nite... and Central Park is wonderful! If you want to do a carriage ride in Central Park you can usually dicker with the drivers for a better fare....if you see one just idly sitting there.

That's just my two cents worth. Hope you have a fabulous trip to New York!

~Denise~

PS...you probably already have these but just in case. Here is the link for the City Pass http://www.citypass.com/city/ny.html

and for the Metrocard for busses and subways

http://www.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm

...and I have never used the Hoho busses...so can't help you with that one...sorry.

Hi Marleneann.

I'll let you know how we go. I am just trying at the moment to sort out which cruise is best. Last night I booked our tickets for Empire State Building. They are open ended and so we booked now as we are trying to pre-pay as much as possible whilst the Aussie Dollar is up. We saved nearly $1,000 on the balance of our European cruise with the increased value of our dollar. We have tickets to the New York Yankees and also to see "Wicked" on Broadway. I am anxiously awaiting advoce here on the HOHO bus and the harbour cruises. Lucky you having a cruise on the QM11. I have beautiful photos of her visit to Sydney. I'll email them to you if you would like me to.

By the way, my inlaws live at Buderim. Keep in touch. Jennie

Hi Jennie!

Well fancy that! Your inlaws can't be too far from me.

Yes I would like the photos of QM2 when you have the time to email them.

What website did you use to book the Empire State Building?

Hugs,

Marleneann.

Here is the website for one of the HOHO off buses tours - I've brought visitors on this line:

http://www.coachusa.com/newyorksightseeing/

Okay, the Grayline double decker tour buses! They are great fun and a fantastic way to get a first overview of the city. I used to take friends and family members that were visiting me on them all the time.

Hi Jennie!

Hugs,

Marleneann.

We recently went to NYC again, lol we love that city, and I found a lot of information and links to websites on trip advisor. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60763-Activities-New_York_City_New_York.html

We didn't go to the Empire State Building since the lines are so long and had heard it is really crowded. We went to the Top of the Rock, which is in Rockefeller Center. Lines were minimal, we were able to get $5 off coupons for each of us from people beside the ticket both near the ice rink. The views were great and we have the Empire State in our pictures, it is not quite as high but was a great experience.

The Zephyr and Downtown are not the same as the Circle Line cruises - the Circle line cruises are more in depth and last longer than the hour the Downtown and Zephyr's are.

Both of those seem to me to be the same, so either is okay.

If you want more detail and to see more of the island, I'd do a Circle Line.

Thank you. We are looking at The Circle Line :Semi-Circle" 2 hour cruise. What do you think of this one?

Jennie

Hi Jennie!

Hugs,

Marleneann.

Hello Marleneanne,

I just started sending the photos to your email but had protests from the family when their internet games "lagged" so I'll haver to send them later. As far as the Empire State Building - I pre-booked on http://www.esbbyc.com. I suggest you also look at the trip adviser website as suggested by another CC member here. I have just gained even more knowledge and ideas here.Happy planning.

Jennie

We recently went to NYC again, lol we love that city, and I found a lot of information and links to websites on trip advisor. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60763-Activities-New_York_City_New_York.html

We didn't go to the Empire State Building since the lines are so long and had heard it is really crowded. We went to the Top of the Rock, which is in Rockefeller Center. Lines were minimal, we were able to get $5 off coupons for each of us from people beside the ticket both near the ice rink. The views were great and we have the Empire State in our pictures, it is not quite as high but was a great experience.

This was a VERY helpful website. Thank you.

Jennie

Hello Marleneanne,

I just started sending the photos to your email but had protests from the family when their internet games "lagged" so I'll haver to send them later. As far as the Empire State Building - I pre-booked on http://www.esbbyc.com. I suggest you also look at the trip adviser website as suggested by another CC member here. I have just gained even more knowledge and ideas here.Happy planning.

Jennie

I will ckeck it out.

Re: Empire State Building...what time did you book your tour for? I hear there can be long lines at certain times.

Marleneann

OH MY, I DISAGREE. You don't just want to just see our LADY LIBERTY. You absolutely have to go to the island and really see her up close and personal. She is what our Freedom is all about!

I went to NYC for the first time in Sept '06. She was on the top of my list. We couldn't go inside her, but we walked around her base, then went into the gift shop. I think we were only there about an hour, then back on the boat to go to Ellis Island. Had lunch at the cafeteria type restaurant and spent maybe an additional hour there. We went to Battery Park early like maybe 8:30, and were back in NYC by 2:00. I had only two days in NYC so I did the Gray Lines 48 hour pass on-line so it was paid for before we went, then you go to the office to exchange your voucher. It was great! We really road the bus alot, even in the rain, they gave us ponchos to sit up top. We spent the afternoon and early evening in Times Square walking around Manhattan. Then we had dinner and famous cheesecake at Lindy's. Then back to Edison Hotel. Next morning up early again on the Gray Lines Bus to Central Park. They actually have a tour guide that explains what you are seeing as you are driving through NYC. We saw absolutely everything on our list except Grand Central Station. We were passed it before we realized it, and didn't want to back track. We road in a horsedrawn carriage for 30 minutes for $25 for 2. Thought that was a decent price. We even road in a pedicab when our feet got tired from walking so much. It's a lively fun city! Have a ball.

I will ckeck it out.

Re: Empire State Building...what time did you book your tour for? I hear there can be long lines at certain times.

Marleneann

The tickets are open ended. Once they are used once you cannot use them again but the choice is yours as to when you use them. Whatever day and time you like. We are tossing up as to whether to go day or night. My husband and I like the idea of the night but we think that it might be more informative for the children to see it at daylight - that way they can actually tell what they are looking at rather than just take in the beauty and magnificance of the lights. Decisions! Decions! It's a hard life! LOL!. I have sent the photos to you plus a powewr point presentation. apologies for the time it will take downloading them. The power point presentation has the best photos.

Jennie

OH MY, I DISAGREE. You don't just want to just see our LADY LIBERTY. You absolutely have to go to the island and really see her up close and personal. She is what our Freedom is all about!

I went to NYC for the first time in Sept '06. She was on the top of my list. We couldn't go inside her, but we walked around her base, then went into the gift shop. I think we were only there about an hour, then back on the boat to go to Ellis Island. Had lunch at the cafeteria type restaurant and spent maybe an additional hour there. We went to Battery Park early like maybe 8:30, and were back in NYC by 2:00. I had only two days in NYC so I did the Gray Lines 48 hour pass on-line so it was paid for before we went, then you go to the office to exchange your voucher. It was great! We really road the bus alot, even in the rain, they gave us ponchos to sit up top. We spent the afternoon and early evening in Times Square walking around Manhattan. Then we had dinner and famous cheesecake at Lindy's. Then back to Edison Hotel. Next morning up early again on the Gray Lines Bus to Central Park. They actually have a tour guide that explains what you are seeing as you are driving through NYC. We saw absolutely everything on our list except Grand Central Station. We were passed it before we realized it, and didn't want to back track. We road in a horsedrawn carriage for 30 minutes for $25 for 2. Thought that was a decent price. We even road in a pedicab when our feet got tired from walking so much. It's a lively fun city! Have a ball.

Thanks Agabbymomma. I am very interested in the details of the horse-drawn carriage ride. $25 sounds very reosonable. I had read otherwise that it was far more expensive. How long was that for and what did you see? There are four of us in the family. Are there carriages that would fit us all in or would we have to take 2 carriages? Do the carriages do a "round trip" or do they drop you off in another spot from where you started the ride? My daughter loves horses. What is a pedicab? Sorry to bombard you with all of these questions. Happy Easter.

Jennie

Thanks Agabbymomma. I am very interested in the details of the horse-drawn carriage ride. $25 sounds very reosonable. I had read otherwise that it was far more expensive. How long was that for and what did you see? There are four of us in the family. Are there carriages that would fit us all in or would we have to take 2 carriages? Do the carriages do a "round trip" or do they drop you off in another spot from where you started the ride? My daughter loves horses. What is a pedicab? Sorry to bombard you with all of these questions. Happy Easter.

Jennie

I believe the carriages at the entrance to Central Park are more expensive. There were a few carriages at the Tavern on The Green restaurant inside Central Park. The $25 was for two of us for a 30 minute ride. We didn't really go very far, but he showed us the "Strawberry Fields" memorial to John Lennon, and rode through the park a little. Then he took us back to the Tavern on the Green. We had wanted to eat at the Tavern on the Green, but it wasn't open yet when we got there. That's why we decided to do the carriage ride. And yes, the carriages will fit 4 people.

A pedicab is a bicycle with a small carriage (just big enough for 2) passengers. They zip up and down the street between the cars. It's actually kind of scary and thrilling considering all the traffic on the streets. My girlfriend about killed me. She says I scared 10 years off her life. Ha Ha Ha But we made it back to the hotel in one piece.

No problem. We had such a fun time, NYC is alive with activity at all hours of the day or night.

I believe the carriages at the entrance to Central Park are more expensive. There were a few carriages at the Tavern on The Green restaurant inside Central Park. The $25 was for two of us for a 30 minute ride. We didn't really go very far, but he showed us the "Strawberry Fields" memorial to John Lennon, and rode through the park a little. Then he took us back to the Tavern on the Green. We had wanted to eat at the Tavern on the Green, but it wasn't open yet when we got there. That's why we decided to do the carriage ride. And yes, the carriages will fit 4 people.

A pedicab is a bicycle with a small carriage (just big enough for 2) passengers. They zip up and down the street between the cars. It's actually kind of scary and thrilling considering all the traffic on the streets. My girlfriend about killed me. She says I scared 10 years off her life. Ha Ha Ha But we made it back to the hotel in one piece.

No problem. We had such a fun time, NYC is alive with activity at all hours of the day or night.

This has been a great help. Just to be able to take mydaughter for a horse drawn carriage ride through Central Park will be worth the $25 and seeing Strawberry fields will keep my husband happy. I don't think he would be so willing for $50 considering all that will be ahead of us. It's especially good to know that all four of us will fit. Happy Easter.

jennie

Archived