For those who use and like Bonine

Michele M

My sister purchased some bonine for her first cruise. She is prone to motion sickness. She has asked me whether to take one or two at a time(I think they are chewables). She does know to start a day early before the cruise and take them in the evening, but the instructions on the package say to take one or two. I dont have an answer for her as I have never taken anything and have never been sea sick. My initial thought is for her to only take one unless she feels sick and then bump it up to two. I am wondering what everyone else does. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I take one every nite at bedtime and then take ginger pill the next morn and again in the afternoon if needed. I don't want to wait until I feel sick, too late then. Ginger is real cheap and no side effects. Not even sure if I need to take anything, just feel better being prepared.

I only take them if its stormy and wait until I feel bad. I also like the chewables. It took about an hour before I felt better, never knew if it was the Bonine or that the feeling would have passed on its own.

Im packing the Bonine for our cruise next week too....just in case it storms again.

I also only take one, not two.

I am also prone to motion sickness, if it moves, I get sick. I take 1 Bonine (chewable) every morning on a cruise & am fine. During one cruise, we hit extremely rough waters & I took another one during the day just to be safe. Never had a problem...

I am also prone to motion sickness, if it moves, I get sick. I take 1 Bonine (chewable) every morning on a cruise & am fine. During one cruise, we hit extremely rough waters & I took another one during the day just to be safe. Never had a problem...

I'm prone to motion sickness too and do the same thing you do. Only got seasick once but it was when I was taking dramamine. Haven't been sick at all after I switched to bonine.

She may want to try taking just 1/2 ... Bonine knocks a lot of people out. If I took 2 I would probably sleep for 48 hours! If I take it, I do the 1/2 at night before bed.

My DH and I took Bonnine one time when we went sailing. We took one pill each and we ended up sleeping for 14 hours straight when we got home!:eek: I would tell her to start with 1/2 pill if she has to take something.

I would always take it the night before and I only take one. I often cruise to places where there can be rough waters. I think that one must take into consideration what one's size is and how they handle meds .

It is much easier to add but not possible to subtract.

Fran

I finally bought and tried Bonime for the first time this last cruise. I ALWAYS get sea sick, ( and car sick) and have had to rely on Gravol, which is the Canadian Draminime, .. (Gosh I HATE that stuff) the most evil stuff ever ,, makes me groggy always,, but we didn't have the Bonine( with the M drug in it,) available in Canada until recently..

BONINE IS A MIRACLE DRUG!! I love it , love it, love it. It does NOT make me drowsy at all, I took one chewable each day in the morning, and since the seas were pretty rough for a couple days on our last cruise I did take a chewable Gravol before bed( they are like sleeping pills to me) I had also bought the chewable ginger, that is too yummy and I ate some of them just because they were tasty.. silly huh! LOL

I totally disagree with waiting till you feel really sick. It is better to take it right away, or if you KNOW you get sea sick then take it morning before you board and maintain a once a day dose. You can maintain a lower overall dose that way. Sort of like take one aspirin if a headache is coming on rather then waiting till you are in the middle of a splitting headache and needing codeine.

It was so rough one night people were walking into walls, I just waltzed down the hall to my cabin smiling ear to ear because I WAS NOT SICK! Anyone who suffers with motion sickness knows how much it means to not feel quesey or dizzy or drowsy..

If Bonine wants I will advertise them for free, I will sell my first born to promote them, I will build them an alter,..... gosh ,, I guess you get what I mean! LOL

I like Bonine, although I tend to buy Mecclazine, which is the active ingredient in both Bonine and Dramamine, because I can get it in large bottles at a very low cost (like 100 tablets for $9).

I usually start a couple of days before we board and continue for a day of so afterwards. I take one in the morning and one at night, but we have always sailed on smaller vessels, so it's possible on the mega ships, you would only need a dose once in a 24-hour period.

Your advice is right on. Start with one and if you feel queasy, take another. Just be sure to keep an eye on the clock. I had to miss a formal dinner because I was having too much fun and missed a dosage.

Cheers!

Charlie

I also love Bonine. I take one at night 2 nights before I leave, then take one each night on the cruise so I don't have to worry about getting sick. I also take it for a couple of nights AFTER we get back so I don't have "sea legs", which to me is sometimes as bad as sea sick.:confused:

I like Bonine, although I tend to buy Mecclazine, which is the active ingredient in both Bonine and Dramamine, because I can get it in large bottles at a very low cost (like 100 tablets for $9).

I usually start a couple of days before we board and continue for a day of so afterwards. I take one in the morning and one at night, but we have always sailed on smaller vessels, so it's possible on the mega ships, you would only need a dose once in a 24-hour period.

Your advice is right on. Start with one and if you feel queasy, take another. Just be sure to keep an eye on the clock. I had to miss a formal dinner because I was having too much fun and missed a dosage.

Cheers!

Charlie

That's exactly what I do...I just purchased a bottle of meclizine for $10.99 at Walgreen's. I start taking the day prior to the cruise and continue while on the cruise, one at breakfast and one at dinner. I have done this for the past 4 cruises, and have never had a problem, with drownsiness or seasickness. (Note: I have been known to get seasick fishing off a dock - seriously.) LOL

So, anything that allows me to cruise comfortably is a-ok in my book!!

:)

My only suggestion is that she take one at least a week before she sails to find out if she has any adverse reaction.

This is a good idea with any new over the counter or prescription drugs. I would hate to discover I was alergic to something while on vacation.

You are so right Barbara. Take Bonine for a test drive to see how your body reacts. Also, these medications must must be taken BEFORE symptoms start. It takes awhile to work and the other poster who mentioned keeping a certain level of the drug in your system is right on. Once symptoms set in the only cure is to get an injection. I don't know if they are offered on all cruise ships, but Cunard has them readily available for a cost. They knock you out for hours but then you are good to go for the next 5-6 days. However, I think you want to avoid that.

1055, I've used Bonine for the last 10 years and haven't had a problem with a reaction from alcohol. I like to have a froo froo drink or two during the day, wine with dinner, and after-dinner cocktails in the bar and have not had problems at all. You might want to pre-test at home, just to make sure, but I think you should be fine.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I also drank on Bonine, not alot, but I drank.

Also the active ingredient in Dramiminine is not Mezcalzine, but Dip somthing or other, in fact Mezcalzine was not available in Canada until recently( without a prescription), that is why I was always stuck with Gravol

I start by taking one the night or so before I fly to the port, unless the weather is bad, and then I take two. Then, if the waters are calm, I take one each night during the cruise. If I'm going to be doing an excursion that involves a small catamaran or boat, I take two before I go to bed the night before.

I suffer from terrible motion sickness and bonine has been wonderful. I hated taking dramamine.

DON'T WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE SICK!!! I did that once and it took forever to recover. I had already taken one bonine but we were on a small schooner that was moving quite rapidly. As soon as I became very ill, I took another one but it took a long time for me to feel better. It's much better to take it and not need it than to need it and take it too late.

I finally bought and tried Bonime for the first time this last cruise. I ALWAYS get sea sick, ( and car sick) and have had to rely on Gravol, which is the Canadian Draminime, .. (Gosh I HATE that stuff) the most evil stuff ever ,, makes me groggy always,, but we didn't have the Bonine( with the M drug in it,) available in Canada until recently..

BONINE IS A MIRACLE DRUG!! I love it , love it, love it. It does NOT make me drowsy at all, I took one chewable each day in the morning, and since the seas were pretty rough for a couple days on our last cruise I did take a chewable Gravol before bed( they are like sleeping pills to me) I had also bought the chewable ginger, that is too yummy and I ate some of them just because they were tasty.. silly huh! LOL

I totally disagree with waiting till you feel really sick. It is better to take it right away, or if you KNOW you get sea sick then take it morning before you board and maintain a once a day dose. You can maintain a lower overall dose that way. Sort of like take one aspirin if a headache is coming on rather then waiting till you are in the middle of a splitting headache and needing codeine.

It was so rough one night people were walking into walls, I just waltzed down the hall to my cabin smiling ear to ear because I WAS NOT SICK! Anyone who suffers with motion sickness knows how much it means to not feel quesey or dizzy or drowsy..

If Bonine wants I will advertise them for free, I will sell my first born to promote them, I will build them an alter,..... gosh ,, I guess you get what I mean! LOL

Ahh, so that is why it is not everywhere. I had to look in a few drugstores before finding it. Walmart here does not carry it - which I thought was odd.

Thanks!

MJ

We were on the Dawn aka blizzard cruise. My husband had some issues with equilibrium and bonine did the trick......He took it for the first few days (10 day cruise) and then we both took it on the last night home and we never felt any nausea and believe me the ship was rocking and rolling. I personally swear by bonine also.....never felt drowsy and never made us miss a beat.....Sailing on the 15th also Mary Jo......looking so forward to this cruise....have a great week and see you on the 15th...Cyndi

Mary_Jo,

Bonine is sold in Ontario but the prices are quite high. When I go to the States, I purchase a bottle of Meclazine which is the generic form of Bonine. I get 100 pills for about $US10. Some ships have it at the purser's desk for free. I prefer to have my own and always take it the evening before I board the ship.

Fran

All of your posts have been very helpful! I think I will purchase Bonine for my husband, he is already sick just thinking about getting on a boat! We are also taking our children, does anyone have any experience giving Bonine to children - is there a pediatric dosing?

Thanks for your help!

Archived