Amtrak to your cruise??

Well, I can see I'm outnumbered here (no surprise) but we always take the train. We've cruised out of Seattle, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, New Orleans, and New York. We live about 35 miles from Chicago. Won't go any other way unless there ain't no dang train. We'll be heading back to Florida in Jan on (you guessed it) AMTRAK!

We always get a sleeper (wouldn't even consider coach) but I don't really care which one. DH likes the family bedrooms the best-we've had them all except the handicapped room.

I'd take the train to Europe if there was one. :D

We live in the Los Angeles area and DH decided it would be interesting to take the train from LA to New Orleans to catch the Grandeur. I have only been on one over night train trip (Paris to Rome) in a sleeper and I said never again. I flew in and met him in New Orleans. He got a sleeper so it would be almost free if I had gone with him on the train.

When I got to the hotel he said it was a good thing I flew because if I had had to take the train with him we would be getting a divorce. He admitted (even though he hates to fly) there would not be any overnight trains in our future travel plans.

I will continue to take the train. I find that the two little rooms across from one another gives each of us our space gives us light and a less closed in feeling and is sometimes cheaper than the bigger bedroom.

Except for the wait time our experiences has been good. I also just applied for a gift card from Macy's to spend my reward pts. If a train can get me there, I am on it.

Sorry for those who did not enjoy the train and hope your next travels however are good ones and hope for happy training for those who choose the train.

WE are going to elect to take amtrak to Fort lauderdale for our May 21 sailing on enchantment. We live about 6 hours from port everglades, but the train ride sounds appealing, even though it will be 7 hours, but we will not have to drive and will not have to pay parking...

If we were to drive we would need 2 cars, (4 of us going) and we have small mustangs.. no way to put 4 people and all our luggage in one car.. that would be double gas and double parking as well.

We could rent an SUV, but not driving at all sounds very sweet.. we are getting the bedroom car for room and comfort measures, (naps,food, and private bathroom, etc)

We are actually looking forward to the train ride.. and it's only 312.00 round trip for all 4 of us! The train station for departure is only about 5 miles from my house.. another plus! :)

Make sure you go the day before your cruise in case the train is running late. If you aren't in a hurry it's a great way to travel.

My MIL recently took the train for her Grandeur cruise departing from NOLA. She lives in Tennesee and the train stops in the next town from her and it was about a 12 hour train ride to New Orleans. She LOVED it and the price was a little cheaper than flying from Memphis, which is more than an hour's car ride from her house, so she also would have needed transportation to the airport. We've checked into taking the train from Chicago a few times, but it never quite worked in our favor.

Three and a half hours on a plane plus a couple of hours at the airport vs. Two days on a train with a toddler? It's a no-brainer for me, I'd do the flight.

Just remember, you have a return trip as well.

Talk to your pediatrician regarding something to soothe your little one during the flight. I'm not one who takes medications for any little thing, but my SIL had her daughter take a small dose of Benadryl for flying, on the advise of her Dr. and she said it worked great, the daughter was quiet the whole time.

If you strongly object to that, how about a portable DVD player with headphones and lots of snacks? Gum or lollipops for take-off and landing? Don't forget the baby wipes!

Wow, thank you everyone for all the great and specific information. It looks like everyone agrees that :

1. I need to leave early as the trains are late.

2. I need a sleeper car.

3. It's way cheaper to fly.

I am not considering the train due to fear of flying (I hate it, but I do it) I am trying to avoid 5-6 hours on a plane with my 2 year old-the train takes way longer, but he loves train and the freedom to move around and see things.

He's a devil on a flight-we took him to Hawaii and that was 5 hours of a nightmare!! I have always wanted to take a long train trip, I just don't know if I should do it with or without the kids.

Thank you all for answering all my questions. Now the main issue is the cost-for the family bedroom for 4, it's amazingly expensive. And I would not consider doing it without the bedroom.

I guess I have a lot of thinking to do.:eek: :D

Thanks.

Tracey, just one more thing to add to your consideration list: My 14 yr old nephew, his best buddy, and best buddy's dad took the train to Chicago to a karate tournament a few weeks ago. (Yes, the advice about the train being late...be sure and remember that.)

Anyway, my nephew never has a real problem with motion sickness. Never gets sick in the back seat of the car, even on curvy roads, and was only very mildly bothered on our first cruise for a few hours...then was great the rest of the trip.

The train was a different story. On the way to the tournament, which was mostly day travel, he was great, and had a ball with his new experience.

But, on the way back, which was mostly night time travel on a school night, I got them a sleeper car, and when he laid down in the sleeper car, the jiggling, shaking motion of the train made him horribly sick, and he spent quite a bit of time throwing up.

Just another take on the situation...from our perspective.

We rode the "City of New Orleans" from Memphis to where else, New Orleans. We didn't do the sleeper as it wasn't that long of a trip. We were quite comfortable, plenty of room. I liked I didn't have to drive, took a nap for the early part of the Morning and then woke up and had a Bloody Mary, can't do that while driving!

For us it was cheaper than flying or driving and we really enjoyed it.

Make sure you go the day before your cruise in case the train is running late. If you aren't in a hurry it's a great way to travel.

yes, going the day before booked hotel pre cruise and will book the hotel one day post cruise as the departing train leaves at 0930 and I fear delays getting off ship and getting to the train station, so will return the day aftr the cruise as well.

Wow, this has become a fascinating thread, thanks to all who contributed. Some of you guys really hate Amtrak, while others love it (like most things in life, difference of opinion).

I still have not made my decision. But answers to a few questions that have popped up:

1. My 2 year old has taken small train trips already (3-4) hours. Never got bored so far, but they were short.

2. None of the regular plane tricks work with him. My older son has loved planes since he was born-crayons, a DVD, video game, anything and he'd be quiet. The little one hates confinement, and I think it's being in the car seat so long that freaks him out. But if I let him out of the seat in the plane, he wants to walk, and there's nowhere to go. So me or DH will be forced to walk around for 6 hours bothering everyone, up and back in the aisles, and it's exhausting. I hate inconveniencing others on the plane if he acts up and there's no place to go. At least in a train there are other cars.

3. My doctor also suggested a bit of medicine to make him sleep, but I hate that idea.

4. I think we have a plan-on Memorial Day we are taking an Amtrak trip from LA to Needles (Arizona border) about 7-8 hours on the train, with a sleeper. It will be like a test run to see how he does. I will report back on how it goes.:D

Thanks agin for the great thread.:)

Sorry I didn't respond to your questions, I was away from the boards for awhile. But it looks like others were able to answer your questions for you.

I myself would never take an train that took more than a few hours. I am a very light sleeper and on a trip from San Bernardino to Albuquerque in coach I got only about 2 hours of sleep. It was one of the worst experiences ever! Then on the return I had a sleeper and got maybe 4 hours of sleep. It was very hard to sell people on the train after that trip. If you decide to take AMTRAK definately take stuff for the kids to do. I'm sure after a few walks back and forth through the train you'll want something else to do.

I have taken long distance trains 4 times. The auto train, the train from Phila to MIA, PHL to Orlando and PHL to FT. Lauderdale. I do not fly.

Your Meals are regular Meals and tasty. Depending on what time you get on the train determines how many meals you get. Meals are included with the rooms. My dh and I have traveled in a bedroom,1 roomette and 2 roomettes. You can go to Amtrak site and make out a pretend trip just like you would do for a cruise. You can work it several ways.

I take a portable dvd with dvd's. For the two of us sometimes it is cheaper to get two roomettes than a bedroom. The bedroom has a small private toilet with a shower.The roomettes depends on the train where the bathroom is located

The train gets held up so we always come down the day before the ship leaves.

You can bring on a carry on with you, there is not much room for more. Everything else is checked. Your luggage is weighed so bags can weigh no more tha 50 pounds. You are entitled to check 3 bags each.

I am planning to do PHL to CA and PHL to Seattle or Vancouver in the near future. It is a long trip but not that bad because certain stops have become familar and I look for them.

Not sure why you addressed this to me. I assume that you meant to address it to the OP.

I wondering if any one has taken the train from Bellingham, WA to Vancouver, BC and had any feed back regarding it. We are taking this train the morning of our cruise.

I am concerned about delays especially at the border crossing.

Has anyone taken the skytrain from the Vancouver station to the pier? Can it be done reasonably? (timing and walking with luggage)

Thank you for any insight.

Not sure why you addressed this to me. I assume that you meant to address it to the OP.

My apologies, I realized it should have been to the OP by then I could not edit, because the boards were acting screwy.

Elvis and Tracey

I think we have a plan-on Memorial Day we are taking an Amtrak trip from LA to Needles (Arizona border) about 7-8 hours on the train, with a sleeper. It will be like a test run to see how he does. I will report back on how it goes.:D

You do know that train is scheduled to arrive in Needles CA at 12:00 midnight because we might do this train stop next year.

Has anyone taken the train instead of a plane to your cruise port?? I am thinking of doing so next April, Amtrak from Los Angeles to Houston, then a quick bus to Galveston for the ship. I would be getting a sleeper car for myself, DH and 2 kids. Has anyone ever done something like this, and if so, how did it go?

If you are going by train then you better plan on arriving two days ahead of time and pray you arrive before the ship leaves.

Wow, thank you everyone for all the great and specific information. It looks like everyone agrees that :

1. I need to leave early as the trains are late.

2. I need a sleeper car.

3. It's way cheaper to fly.

I am not considering the train due to fear of flying (I hate it, but I do it) I am trying to avoid 5-6 hours on a plane with my 2 year old-the train takes way longer, but he loves train and the freedom to move around and see things.

I guess I have a lot of thinking to do.:eek: :D

Thanks.

If you fly Continental, you will be on a non-stop three hours and twenty minutes. I see fares as low as $220 per person.

I wondering if any one has taken the train from Bellingham, WA to Vancouver, BC and had any feed back regarding it. We are taking this train the morning of our cruise.

I am concerned about delays especially at the border crossing.

Has anyone taken the skytrain from the Vancouver station to the pier? Can it be done reasonably? (timing and walking with luggage)

Thank you for any insight.

I would not take the train the morning of the cruise. Even for a short trip the train just is not reliable enough. Drive, take a bus or stay overnight.

If you fly Continental, you will be on a non-stop three hours and twenty minutes. I see fares as low as $220 per person.

That's pretty darn good. I didn't check that airline, all the others require connecting flights which adds hours and $$ to the trip. 3 1/2 hours I can stand (literally, stand, walking back and forth with my son).

Thanks.:)

Archived