Bar Setup

Hblanton

My recent experience on the Navigator crossing from Monte Carlo to Ft Lauderdale, indicates if you don't insist on a room setup of adult beverages, you will not get it. The inclusiveness leaves a lot to be desired. When Raddisson it was much better.

Hi,

I am not sure what you mean. When the cruise line was Radisson, it did not have all-inclusive. When it went to all-inclusive (as Regent) at the end of 2006/early 2007, it was assumed that if you would care for an adult beverage, you would go to one of the bars or call room service. They will happily set up a bar for you if you request, but it is not automatic at this point since beverages are now all-inclusive. Did you request something and then not get it?

We found that with the all-inclusive, we did not drink any of the alcohol in the room and just left the unopened bottles when we disembarked.

NJBelle

ridojar, I beg to differ. I have have 20+ cruises on Regent/Radisson, and I have done several cruises since the all inclusive came into effect. You can still have your in-room bar set up, I have had that on mine since the change. On longer cruises, I have also requested extra alcholic beverages (wine or liquor) and they were delivered promptly. Please don't put them down saying they don't provide services that were earlier available. In my mind all inclusive is just that. If you have a problem with the room steward, simply call the Hotel Director. Regent is now charging us enough for whatever the guest prefers.

• 2 weeks later...

On my last Regent cruise in September, I did not recieve the alcohol request form byt I simply left a note for my steward asking for ginger ale and white wine. He brought two bottles. After that if I wanted a beer or glass of wine with a meal, it was brought by room service. Later in the cruise I called room service for some vodka and they promptly brought it. Plus it is really easy to just head to a lounge and get something if you want it. The new policy made the social aspect of the cruise so much more fun.

we just got off the Voyager 7 night E. Caribbean cruise. All lounges on the ship now do not charge for liquor, as everyone fully understands. When we asked for two bottles -- one Maker's Mark bourbon and one Mt. Gay rum, we got the MM delivered. Asked about the rum, and our stewardess reminded us that one premium replaced two bottles. No problem -- bought a bottle of Mt. Gay in Grand Turk for $10 and brought the MM home!.

The free drinks makes a great experience even better -- the social activity in the lounges is fantastic now, and we met even more great people.

We returned a couple of weeks ago from the 16-day Voyager Grand Crossing - Monte Carlo to Ft. Lauderdale. The all-inclusive worked marvelously - premium hooch always available in the bars (e.g. Macallan single malt, Grey Goose vodka, etc.). Much more activity in the lounges than on our past cruises. We requested and received a couple of bottles for our cabin (Glenlivet and J.W. Black). We finished them before the end of the cruise; and our stewardess asked if we wanted another bottle. We told her we did not, as we knew we'd not come close to finishing it. We certainly did not intend to receive a bottle to take home unopened. That does not seem to be the spirit of RSSC offering free spirits. The old RSSC policy of two bottles per cabin (to drink or take home) has been replaced, as I understand it, with the policy that they will provide good booze for onboard imbibing, both in the form of drinks at the bars and, as a supplement to that, a bottle or two in the cabin. In either event, it seems reasonable that the adult beverages provided are intended to be enjoyed on the ship, rather than as a substitute for stopping at the duty free shop at the airport on the way home, just as the nice robes are for onboard use. Am I missing something in the A-I policy??

Freddie

You are spot on in your comments. We will be onboard the Voyager next week and certainly have never even thought of taking any bottles home. We always give our suite attendant any left over wine for the crew bar which is very appreciated.

Freddie

You are spot on in your comments. We will be onboard the Voyager next week and certainly have never even thought of taking any bottles home. We always give our suite attendant any left over wine for the crew bar which is very appreciated.

Well, as the subject of all of this smugness and condescension, let me make clear what I meant. As an "old Radisson liquor policy" cruiser, I failed to appreciate what the change meant. What was sufficient in the past, now is excessive -- we consumed a good part of two bottles in our cabin, under the old policy. This time, we consumed most of the rum (to go with the Stirrings Mojito mixer we brought with us). In the past, I liked a little bourbon before dinner. Now, it was just much more fun to go to the lounge and see our new friends. Never opened the bourbon, since the new policy made it unnecessary.

I guess I am just like all of you --- I never intended to take the second bottle home, it just happend that way. Never thought of giving our outstanding cabin stewardess the unopened bottle -- I am almost certain she preferred the generous tip we left instead. Guess some will find fault with that as well.

All the partly-filled botttles are poured down the drain, that's from the horses mouth, an executive chef on Voyager. Alcohol can be purchased by the crew, but is fairly strictly controlled.

Just back from Voyager, Dec.14-21. Our stewardess introduced herself within an hour, and asked what liquor we wished. We asked simply for some Heineken and a bottle of wine, to be replenished as needed. The lounges were full, and that was a wonderful change in my opinion. Overdid it a bit, I admit, comparing the skill of the bartenders producing martinis, cosmopolitans and pina coladas! Certainly did not need hard liquor in our cabin!

I just came off Navigator, and I was solo. My stewardess brought the check-off sheet the first half hour. She said if I took a bottle of liquor anda bottle of wine that I could not get anymore wine at all. She said maybe room service would bring it, but she didn't know, and she really felt uncomforable discussing it and definitely was not willing to look into it.

I know on Silversea, they just bring it. We just got off Whisper December 9, and the stewardess brought wine when empty on our request (one request at the beginning that she keep it stocked).

I don't think it is a good idea to say you are all-inclusive and then not bring anything to the room. Who wants to look like a bubba carrying their own drinks to the cabin? We like wine on our balcony at sailaway or curl up for a movie night, and on a 16 night cruise, one bottle of wine is not going to do. This cruise was short, so I didn't pursue it, but this topic is debated all over the Regent board. They have been all-inclusive for a year. I don't know why they can't figure this out.

I am a Tabber from way back, and I have been delighted lately that you could get it, but I didn't hear this until too late to ask for it this cruise.

I just came off Navigator, and I was solo. My stewardess brought the check-off sheet the first half hour. She said if I took a bottle of liquor anda bottle of wine that I could not get anymore wine at all. She said maybe room service would bring it, but she didn't know, and she really felt uncomforable discussing it and definitely was not willing to look into it.

I know on Silversea, they just bring it. We just got off Whisper December 9, and the stewardess brought wine when empty on our request (one request at the beginning that she keep it stocked).

I don't think it is a good idea to say you are all-inclusive and then not bring anything to the room. Who wants to look like a bubba carrying their own drinks to the cabin? We like wine on our balcony at sailaway or curl up for a movie night, and on a 16 night cruise, one bottle of wine is not going to do. This cruise was short, so I didn't pursue it, but this topic is debated all over the Regent board. They have been all-inclusive for a year. I don't know why they can't figure this out.

I am a Tabber from way back, and I have been delighted lately that you could get it, but I didn't hear this until too late to ask for it this cruise.

The past couple of months I have read the Silversea boards daily -- trying to learn as much as possible about the experience on SS to determine if we would book Regent or SS for 2009 (booked the Mariner). There was a huge thread regarding the speciality restaurant on SS that charges to dine there (quite a bit of $$$ -- cannot recall the amount). Most posters were of the opinion that an all-inclusive cruise line should not have a venue that customers have to pay for.

Just pointed this out because I am of the opinion that, although SS and Regent are great cruise lines -- nothing is perfect. Yes, Regent staff should have figured out their in-suite alcohol policy -- fortunately, even most premium brand spirits and wines are complimentary.

While I love SS and am quickly loving Regent, I also agree they need to fix the Le Champagne policy. This surely does not bother me so much because at least they understand their policy and advertise it. We spend a lot of time in the cabin, and I don't drink hard liquor at all unless someone tells me I must try something or other. My husband is going to get a bottle of Jack, so that leaves me one bottle of wine and a begging mode on Regent. It is close to a deal-breaker.

Well, just off Voyager, and our stewardess asked us right away about stocking our bar (regular cabin.) We told her just to keep the Heineken and white wine coming (I didn't even drink a whole bottle!) Nothing about limits. I know if you order room service they bring a whole bottle of wine, or two if you order both white and red, so I wasn't worried about running out!

We befriended one couple from Buffalo. They unfortunately did not know about the all-inclusive policy until about day 5. They had been in their cabin, drinking their scotch, and were very happy to be out and about in the lounges having a martini. The lounges were very busy, much more so than previous cruises. I'm betting they've had to beef up their wait-staff and bartending staff.

As I understand it the in room set up policy is exactly as it was before.

Two bottles per cruise (or segment on a longer cruise) or one premium bottle set up in the cabin. Not automatically done but available if requested.

If you have dinner in your cabin all the wine you wish is offered as it is in the dining room. Room Service can also deliver drinks.

As with all policies sometimes things work differently. For example, one stewardess will give the form and suggest getting the liquor another waits to be asked.

Archived