Hair straightening

missyal

I am interested in thoughts/opinions on hair straightening, like the Japanese method. I am caucasian( pertinent to hair type!) and my hair is colored and highlighted, about shoulder length. I wear it back in a pony tail almost every day because it takes too long to blow dry( and I need it up for work alot) only to get frizzy an hour later. It is not curly, just wavy. I think that because I wear it up everyday, there are alot of broken hairs at different lenghts and that makes it look more frizzy. If I could wear it down straight, then maybe it would grow and look healthier. I also heard about a new process called Hello Yellow.

How much does this all cost, last long, look good?

Thanks so much...

Missyal

Hi Missy,

Only a good stylist can tell you if the japanese hair straightening process is right for you. I have many friends who've done it and they all love it.

My hair is basically straight, with a very slight wave that goes away when I blow my hair dry. The japanese process would probably not look well on me because I have a narrow face and it would be too severe a look for me.

I'm not familiar with Hello Yellow - would love to know what it is.

I do a process once a year on my hair called "Anti Curl" by Rusk. It's really misnamed and should be called "anti-frizz". Like you, my hair would frizz an hour after blowing it dry if it was humid outside and when I traveled to countries where it was hot and wet, my hair drove me nuts. It never looked good. The Rusk treatment changed all that. Now my hair looks exactly as it did before, but doesn't frizz in the humidity.

I do it in NYC but spoke to a hair stylist in hot, humid Florida who says it's a real life-saver for his clients.

Unlike the japanese process which takes about 7 hours and costs $500-$800, the anti-curl costs about $100. and takes about 2 hours. It must be done professionally, you can't do it at home.

Jane

I'm not positive on this and may be way off but..... I was thinking that when I watched a segment about the Japanese hair straightening process it was mentioned that color and/or highlights in your hair made the process more difficult and results were harder to achieve.

Obviously, I'm not a professional and this was over 2 years ago when I saw this but it's a good question to ask.

If you get it done, I'd love to read a review of your experience.

I'm lucky I have naturally straight hair but in the humid South it can get frizzy if I don't blow it dry 5 minutes after I get out of the shower. I rarely use a flat iron but I'm taking my travel one for my upcoming cruise (in 1 1/2 weeks !!)

Good luck !!

- Yvette

Most of my friends who have the japanese process done have their hair colored or highlighted and it's not a problem. None of them had any hair damage. Like any chemical process, it does take away a bit of color and make your hair lighter, but then when they color their hair again a few weeks after the process they can darken it if they like.

There are a few different forumula's, so you need a stylist who knows what they're doing to determine which one is right for each person.

If you're interested in a book about "embracing" your curls take a look at Lorraine Massey's "Curly Girl". It really gave me some useful tips on how to deal with my very (VERY) curly caucasian hair. I haven't totally bought into her evangelism to wear my curls natural, I still blow out the top and front on a round brush, but I did find some of her tips on keeping the frizz down useful. I stopped using shampoo (OMG, I know it sounds gross). You use conditioner daily like shampoo and after a week or so, my curls got some weight to them and went into ringlets instead of frizz and it looks great. And my hair isn't greasy or oily at all.

LOL my daughter stopped using shampoo....just using conditioner. I did argue with her at first, but now that I see how much nicer her super curly, often frizzy hair looks...I tend to agree. the shampoo was drying her hair out, making it more frizzy! Her hair does not look dirty, greasy....just looks softer :)

I will have to get the book you recommended for her thanks

debbie

Thank you all for the responses. I talked to 2 hairdressers today and they both said to go for a few consultaions in salons that offer more than 1 kind of straightening process. Just like perms, there is more than 1 kind depending on your hair type, etc. If a salon tells you they only use 1 kind, no matter what, don't go for it. Sounded like good advice to me. I'll keep you posted.

Missyal

I don't know if you still need the info, but:

I had the Japanese hair straightening done (or as my salon calls it, thermal conditioning) in early March. It's august and my hair is starting to curl at the roots so I'm just now scheduling a retouch for early september (before my cruise).

I live in hot humid Houston, this means i had crappy hair 300 days of the year. This works well for me since it evens out my hair, no frizz EVER. THis is the ABSOLUTE best thing to ever happen to my hair.

But: I'm Asian and have VERY thick hair and used to be extremely curly, acutally kinky and very frizzy. But if you've got fine hair, this will make you like you have no hair. It is super straight even air dried, which is all I do now.

It was about 7 hours, and (with cut, tip, & the 'special' shampoo & conditioner) about $950. It was worth it, did i mention fabulous hair AIR DRIED? just need a good cut and i'm ready to go, any day any time. I took scuba classes, everyone's hair was all knotted and nasty after being in the pool for 2 hours. not mine. salt, chlorine, wind nothing can mess with my super hair.

Now, as far as the no shampoo/conditioner thing, if you want to stay curly, go with Crede. It's the japanese brand made for the japanese straightening treated hair. The shampoo cleans but is super gently, very low lather so it cleans without stripping--it's like a low frizz shampoo and the conditioner is unbelievable. My sister, whose hair is very frizzy but hasn't gotten the treatment, uses it and it does wonders for her frizzy hair--sleek curls.

also, when your hair is dry--whether it's curly or straight, always put product with dimethicone in--it's the clear, kinda thick liquid. It goes by different names--shine serum, tigi makes "girl toy". It "smooths" out your hair, adds some shine and takes away frizz.

Hope this helps!!

I heard that the straightening process is perm solution without the rods. That if you comb in the solution it breaks the hair bands, then when you put the last part on it locks it straight. Don't know how true this is....any hairdressers out there??

I have naturally curly hair that frizzes in this florida weather..haven't had a good hair day since I moved here. The no shampoo sounds interesting, I think I'll try it on my days off from work. I love my curls but the frizz drives me crazy.

I just had a process done this weekend and I am THRILLED with the results. I did not have the Japanese one. It was a different version because my salon said that would be too severe for my hair. I am caucasian and have medium blonde hair with highlights. I have unruley waves and humidity is my enemy. I can't even make it out of the house without it frizzing up. Unfortunately I live in the ever-humid Long Island, NY.

So, at the recommendation of my stylist, they did another straightening process. Only took about 45 minutes total to complete (15 minutes to apply, 15 minutes wait time, 10 minute intense conditioning) and was about $15O (plus another $50 for the hair cut).

The results are stunning. My hair is silky smooth, and stays that way all day. It still has enough body to it that it's not hanging straight down. That would be too severe of a look for me.

Bottom line, there are alternative processes that can be used instead of just the Japanese version. Definitely find a high-end salon that offers multiple processes based on your specific hair type.

I have just had my third process done this June. I love the results and the easy care aspect of this. I have been getting it done anywhere from 8-12 months apart to give my hair a rest.

My color treated hair is normally curly/frizzy from the roots. After I get it done my hair is amazing but very flat until the roots grow out a bit to give it more body. When it grows out even more, I have to really work the roots....especially since I have bigtime cowlicks around my hairline.

Here is a great website written and supported by girls who have had it done. They also have experienced stylists from around the country contribute information and advice -

http://www.thelovelyloons.com/ .

The most important thing to know is educate yourself about the process and your stylist before you go.

What a great website! There's so much information about the kinds of straightening processes, salons in major cities, lots of before/after photo's and even a section where you can order 1 oz samples of hair products.

Anyone interested in the process should definitely look at this site.

Thanks for posting, it's very interesting.

Jane

i tried the washing with conditioner today and my hair looks beautiful... i can't believe what a difference it's made... i had my reservations about not getting my hair really clean but the results speak for themselves... will be interesting to see how it handles the early morning humidity on my walk... amazing results!

i tried the washing with conditioner today and my hair looks beautiful... i can't believe what a difference it's made... i had my reservations about not getting my hair really clean but the results speak for themselves... will be interesting to see how it handles the early morning humidity on my walk... amazing results!

Hey Deborah,

I'm glad the idea worked out for you. My curls are so much more "curled" instead of frizz when I can skip the shampoo. Every once in a while, if I use a lot of hairspray I have to shampoo it, but otherwise, the conditioner really does keep it soft AND clean.

-Michelle

My hair is not curly, but somewhat wavey. There is no uniformity to the waves, which gives it a silly look if I try to go 'natural'. What I have found to be a lifesaver is a ceramic hair straigthener. It takes the frizz out by sealing the hair cuticle with heat and at the same straightens the hair. I'm in love with mine. Yes it takes a bit of time, about the same as a curling iron, but less costly and damaging to the hair in the long run, especially for us chemically challenged gals. Got mine from my hairdresser so I could get one of professional quality.

Happy Sailing!

1cruiselvr,

Could you tell me the name brand of your ceramic straightener and if you don't mind, the price you paid?

I had my hair cut last week and my stylist used one on my hair after she dried it. It looked fabulous, so of course, now I want one! Hers, like yours, is a professional one and I think she said it was about $200.00 I'm not willing to spend that much. But I see them in the pharmacy for about $20. and figure that for that price, it probably isn't too good and I don't want to waste money buying one that's useless.

BTW, I've been using the Revo-Styler on my hair for the past year and it's a great item too. Finishes my hair off to a nice smooth look, but I'm sure not as glassy as the ceramic straightener.

Thanks,

Jane

There is a special on 20/20 tonight (8/13) on chemical hair straitening for those interested. I've been too afraid to try this. I also highlight and what happens when the roots grow out?? Frizzy roots- strait ends??? :eek:

I LOVE my Chi ceramic hair straightener. My hairdresser recommended the one called Chi, made by Farouk. I paid $120 for it. It truly works, so I guess that makes it worth the $. I blow it strait and then use the ceramic iron to calm the frizz. It's magic!!! I've recently seen them on Ebay for less than I paid.

I've also been using the "Flat-Out" shampoo and straightening balm by KMS with pretty good results.

Deb

There was a segment on tonights 20/20 on it and it said that a lot of women have bald patches and hair loss and if you have light/bleached or highlighted hair it is worse!! They scared me to death over it. I used to do hair a long time ago and a regular perm combed through the hair for the same amount of time as normal works really well too and is safer.

I have really curly hair (sometimes I like it, sometimes I hate it) but have never wanted to chemically straighten it. I use a ceramic straightening iron on my hair along with Frizz-Ease products and it works very well. My straightener was about $60 and I got it from a local beauty supply store and it works great and doesn't damage my hair. It takes about 2 1/2 hours to do but the results will last for days.

I've never thought to just condition my hair and not shampoo. I usually only wash my hair every other day becuase curly hair can get so dry. I'll have to giver the conditioner a try. Usually a ton of mousse and a diffuser are my best friends in fighting the frizz.

Sorry, I don't know the name of my ceramic straigthener. I will have to go home and look, but I paid approx $100 for it from my hairdresser about a yr ago. She claims I got a deal, but who knows. You could ask yours if she would buy one from her supplier for you or try a professional beauty store. Don't bother with the cheapie $20 one because you are right, it's not the same quality.

Happy Sailing!

I have extremely thick and wavy/curly hair. I use a product called Biosilk Silk Therapy and I CANNOT live without it. It is much like Frizz-Ease but 200% better. Because my hair is thick, I do have to use quite a bit of it and it never looks oily. You can only get it at salons and a 6 oz bottles is about $20.00. It does last me about 3 months so I would assume someone with regular hair it would last longer. They also make a shampoo and conditioner but since my hair is so thick, it would not lather. I do hear a lot of people swear by them to reduce the frizzies.

I also heard a stylist on the Style channel say in order to reduce frizzies and build-up from your shampoo and styling products, at least every 3 months, stop using your regular shampoo and get Neutragina Clairifying Shampoo. You use it for about 3-5 washings and it will help reduce the build up and then you go back to your regular shampoo. I tried it and it does seem to help.

The best haircut I ever had was on a cruise! The hairdresser had hair similar to mine and she gave me a cut to make my hair lay down a bit more. I have never had luck finding anyone to cut it like she did. And on cruises, my hair does not tend to frizz but get curlier...my hair never looks beter...go figure!!

I second the Biosilk product. I mix it about 30% into Ouidad's Tress F/X styling lotion and it is incredible, especially for curly hair that is NOT thick. Also, I am a swimmer, and still only wash my hair with shampoo 2 or 3 times a week...just a good rinse before the pool and a better rinse in the shower after, and LOTS of conditioner. Too many shampoos are a one way ticket to frizz for me.

I made peace with my very, very curly hair when I hit 40, thank heavens!!!! I now wear it very short, and let it dry naturally. The most I do to style it is run my fingers through it after it is dry and the curls are set. Perfect for high wind and high humidity cruise ship, sailboat and island activities.

Archived