Luggage straps around your luggage ... can we use? any problems?

There are straps you can purchase in bright colors, some even have your name personalized on them. They wrap around your luggage and lock I think with a combination lock. Makes finding your luggage a snap. What happens if I use those? Can we? Will they cut them? Just curious your suggestions or thoughts. Thanks.

I have several that I use all the time. You can go one step further and use a sharpie pen to write your name in large letters on the strap to make it even easier to ID, just in case someone has the same color strap on the same type of luggage. Trust me, it happens.

Mine do not have the combination locks on them. If you lock them, the TSA will just cut them off. In fact I had one TSA cut one of mine off even though it didn't have a lock on it. Most of the time mine come off the plane intact.

I like the idea of putting your name on the straps. I recently purchased from Magellans the TSA approved combination locks. They come 2 to a pack, 19.95 (they had others, at a cheaper price) and if TSA for some reason cuts the locks off, you send it back to Magellans, and they will replace the locks for lifetime. Not a bad deal. We can now lock our luggage and get the locks replaced if broken. ;)

JanetMarie

That's a great theory, but the very first time I used them (in Atlanta - a large airport where the TSA ought to be up-to-date), they cut one of our two locks off and did not put it in the suitcase. So I had nothing to return to Magellan's for replacement. I figured I was oh-for-two. They cut it instead of using the key they were supposed to have AND they didn't give it back so I could replace it. Bummer.

We use cable ties and that adds a little security by making anyone who wants into the luggage work harder. My theory is there are enough easy bags that they'll pass mine up. We take some rounded-end scissor in our carry-on (no problem with security) and that works fine to cut them once we are on board.

We are also running only about 50/50 on getting the notification that they searched the bags. Sometimes the cable ties are gone and no notice, sometimes there is a notice. I've read in more than one place that they are supposed to put colored ties on any suicase that was locked if they open it. Never have seen that.

We also use the brightly colored straps, but have the kind that just snap in place. Not for security, just for identification. I like the idea of putting the name on them, but how can you see it in the stacks of luggage? By the time I would be that close, I think I would recognize the bags.

Bob

I like the idea of putting your name on the straps. I recently purchased from Magellans the TSA approved combination locks. They come 2 to a pack, 19.95 (they had others, at a cheaper price) and if TSA for some reason cuts the locks off, you send it back to Magellans, and they will replace the locks for lifetime. Not a bad deal. We can now lock our luggage and get the locks replaced if broken. ;)

FYI - Just noticed Magellans have these on a web special for $14.00 for a pair.

http://www.magellans.com/store/Special_Offers___Web_Specials___Quantities_Limited_SL767?Args=

JanetMarie

We also use the brightly colored straps, but have the kind that just snap in place. Not for security, just for identification. I like the idea of putting the name on them, but how can you see it in the stacks of luggage? By the time I would be that close, I think I would recognize the bags.

Bob

The name is really for me but for the person who thinks my bag is their bag. With our name printed in HUGE black block letters, it takes a special idiot to think it's their bag.

I hate to tell you how many times I've seen people pull a bag off an airline carousel and not look at the name tag. I do everything I can to make my bag not look like an ordinary bag.

On the bagage carousels, the name stands out pretty well. If the cases have been taken off the carousel and set in a large group of bags, you don't see the name.

The name is really for me but for the person who thinks my bag is their bag. With our name printed in HUGE black block letters, it takes a special idiot to think it's their bag.

Good point, Doug. I hadn't thought about the name as a defensive thing. I have Delta Skymiles tags on all my bags, plus brightly colored wraps on the handles but a large block-lettered name would be hard to miss.

I got yarn in hot pink, baby blue and lavender. I put the yarn through the handle and then braided the pieces into a long tail. That makes the bags easy to identify. I also use the yellow straps around the bags. Mine do not lock and I have not had a problem with them being cut. It sure helps with bag identification. The yellow strap stands out and the colored braided tail is

unique.

I bought several of the bright yellow luggage straps for our trip to Europe. I had them personalized in big bold black lettering with my husband's name on them. I did not buy the locking variety strap, since I have seen those cut off many times because they didn't have TSA approved locks.

When you buy "TSA approved" locks, do be careful! Although some of the packaging for some of the locks says "TSA approved", in reality, they are not. Sad, but true. I bought mine from an on-line provider that recommended the ones I needed. I had no problems with them and they arrived in Europe, and again, back to the States, without being cut off. If you need the name of the company I purchased from, please email me at: (micknminy@earthlink.net).

I use bright red duct tape and marked a giant X on my bags, NO ONE could even begin to think that they were their bags. Once we get where we are going, off comes the tape. To secure the bags we use cable ties and throw a small pair of scissors in the side pocket of the checked bags. Its cheap and easy.

Archived