Dry Dock

I have been a member for a relatively short time, and the site has a tremendous amount of imformation. However, I have seen nothing about Dry dock, and refurbishing of the various cruise lines. I believe it would be good for the cruisers if we know when ship was last drydocked and refurbished, and what works was done.

Is this possible?

Thank you,

Alberto

Alberto,

Your right I have not seen anything about Dry Docks either, good call!

I dont really have any info on dry docks, so I am no use what so ever but I would like to hear all the information there is too!

Well I do know a little - We live in Southampton & they used to use the dry dock there to refit ships. We saw Ocean Village come in to have all its cabins upgrades in 2005 - we actually went on the first cruise after it came out of refit.

We also saw Sea Princess being changed over from Adonia (P&O).

As far as we are aware they dont use this dry dock for refitting ships, but I could be wrong - not sure?

E201 :)

Hi: I live on Vancouver Island and over look the Esquimalt Harbour where there is the naval base and dry dock.

I am lucky enough to regularly see many, many cruise ships visit regularly for refurbishments or maintenance.

I just love seeing the great ladies drift in and out but boy do I get withdrawal symptoms if I am in between cruises and don't have one booked!!!:D

Most cruise lines put their ships in dry dock, or even wet dock, every 22 to 35 months. Wet dock means they still keep the ship afloat, but do interior refurbishments rather than wholesale exterior shape ups. Unless a ship is older, ships really don't need much in terms of dry docks.

If you are asking about certain cruise lines, there are many threads going on right now in the RCCL forum since a lot of the ships are going into drydock for a week. The Mariner of the Seas is going in last week of April for barnicles to be scraped and hull repainted, a deep cleaning in high traffic areas, new carpets, new bedding, flat screen tvs in cabins and probably more but I forget.

Hi: funnily enough, HA's Zaandam just came in for servicing here at the Esquimalt Graving Dock.

Usually the cruise ships switching between the Alaska and Caribbean itineraries come here for routine maintenance and/or other maintenance issues.

As well as the upgrades spoken of above and the general repairs and cleaning of the hulls, the ships that come in at Esquimalt undergo paint work too.

As well, we often see the lifeboats being unloaded and loaded back up and also put through "sea trials" around the harbour.

Archived