Booking Triple for 2

I am currently in the process of booking three cabins on a cruise (for family of 6) and would like to know anyone's experience in booking a cabin that is triple but for only two people. The situation I am in I want to be able to have my youngest sleeping in our room occasionally or at least give him the option of sleeping in the sofabed in the triple room. The other cabins would be two doubles. Any input in this matter would be very helpful. I don't want to have to pay for seven in total when there is only six people in total.

I am currently in the process of booking three cabins on a cruise (for family of 6) and would like to know anyone's experience in booking a cabin that is triple but for only two people. The situation I am in I want to be able to have my youngest sleeping in our room occasionally or at least give him the option of sleeping in the sofabed in the triple room. The other cabins would be two doubles. Any input in this matter would be very helpful. I don't want to have to pay for seven in total when there is only six people in total.

I am not sure how ethical this is, but you could book a cabin for three, pay the deposit for three, and then cancel the third person. That would leave you in a cabin for 3 while only paying for 2 people (you would get that deposit back).

But who knows, maybe they would even just let you book such a cabin for 2 people to begin with....

you didnt say what time of year you are looking to take a cruise.

Booking a triple that is only for 2 people you stand a chance of being moved if that cabin is needed for a true triple.

This happens in high season-- summer months.

Some sailings wont even let you book it in the first place.

If booking an oceanview or balcony cabin-- most have sofas. might not be convertible but a young kid can sleep on one comfortably.

Several years ago we booked three cabins on Jewel of the Seas. Had two balconies and a triple inside across the hall. We had reserved only our two children in the triple. We had no problems reserving this way at all. In the end it worked out great because one of our friends' children ended up sleeping in the third bed anyway.

Last August, we booked two prime quad cabins (1388 and 1390) on Mariner with three and two people in them respectively. We had to call RCI and request these cabins by number, and we had the reservations marked *Do Not Move or Upgrade* It was no problem. If one agent won't reserve them for you, hang up and call back until you get an agent who will. Also, since you are reserving several cabins, make sure you have the reservations linked to each other, so that they don't move one of you away from the others, and so that you'll all be assigned to dine together.

I think it may depend on the cruiseline. We've been booked in cabins that are triple and/or quad with just the two of us and our two kids in an adjacent cabin several times and have never been moved. It's hard to believe there are cruiselines that will book you into a cabin, then just arbitrarily move you if they have another person wanting that cabin. It's done for family suites, sure, but they tell you that upfront. If they don't want to book a double into a triple or quad, they shouldn't do it in the first place.

Most ships do not fill every cabin to capacity, they can't. The maximum number of guest is dictated by the Coast Guard, dependent on the number of seats on the life rafts, not the number of beds a ship contains.

So, I'd not worry about being moved, but I would check to make sure of this before depositing any money. I'd probably go to another cruise line if I thought there was this possibility.

If you're booking directly through RCI, it shouldn't be a problem! Tell them the story and if they let you book it, then do it! Then ask them to notate a request that the rooms not be seperated. That should do the trick!

I dont know if this helps...but, you could get a connecting room with him so you'll be right there. I know RCCL offers this but not sure about other cruise lines.This is what we did with our daughters on our last cruise....worked great!!:D

It may net be a problem to simply request the room for 3 because you want the particular location. A few years ago – we selected a triple room ( we were only 2) because we wanted to be close to the stairs. In fact I did not realize until well after we booked that is was a triple. RCCL never commented about 2 in the room for 3, I did offer to give up the cabin if they needed it for 3 ( as long as the replacement cabin was acceptable) but I was never asked to move.

M

Archived