New York City Central Park

redswan

I am considering the Hyatt Stanhope Hotel for 3 days prior to our June 11th cruise on the QM2. My wife and I have stayed at the Plaza in the past and it was great. I want a view of the Park or some other majical setting. Since I am not familiar with the Hotels with Park Views I thought I would ask for some help and suggestions. I am also open to hear about other Hotels that offer some other exceptional view or ambiance. Actually looking forward to our City visit as much as the cruise.

The Stanhope is a great bet. Also the new Ritz-Carlton and the Essex House(which is a favorite of mine) on Central Park South. Trump Internationl on Columbus Square is also a choice. I think you're looking for a hotel with that grand old hotel charm, which the Trump doesn't have.

J.P.

You cannot go wrong with the aformentioned, and yes, forget the Trump. The Pierre and the Sherry Netherland are grand ladies and pearls of some price. The brand new Mandarin Oriental in the new AOL Time Warner Tower is very special. Excellent service in their restaurant...have not stayed there since I live in Manhattan.

The Stanhope is a lovely intimate hotel across from Central Park & THe Metropolitan Museum of Art. Its at 80the Street & 5th - the Plaza is at 59th & 5th.

The Stanhope was renovated not too long ago - the neighborhood is wonderful(Jackie Kennedy lived near there),it has a wonderful bar & outdoor terrace to have meals & drinks while watching the action on 5th ave & at teh Museum across teh street. - Madison & Park avenues are just behind the hotel with wonderful galleries & shopping. It is a classic upscale area of the city. Its known as a more relaxed area & not big on commercial tourism. Its also easy to get a cabor bus to get around.

The Pierre is a condo hotel(as is Sherry Netherland) - faboo service & public rooms - exclusive - very old world.

The Ritz Carlton is at Cental Park South & 6th Avenue - just down the street from the Plaza - typical Ritz Carlton - great restaurant.

Essex House is down the street from the Ritz Carlton - nice bigger hotel.

THe better/prettier views can be had at the Stanhope, Pierre & Sherry Netherland on high floors(they face teh west side of teh park & the architecture is more interesting.

Also don't forget to go to the sculpture garden on the roof of the Metropolitan Musem - its above teh tree line & you are in the park - NYC spectacular - you can have a drink sit & enjoy.

• 10 years later...
Arriving in New York on MSC. Interested in Central Park. What is the best way to get there? Want to rent bikes--a company name would help. Also other ideas would be helpful.

Hi gotwine. The best way to get Central Park depends on where you are coming from, how much time and money you have to spend to get there.

Being a native New Yorker, my favorite route to Central Park starts at Grand Central Station 42nd Street, walking up to Fifth Avenue and taking a stroll up 5th to the Central Park South entrance to the park at 57th Street. But there are several other routes, depending on what is you wish to see in the park. BTW, just my opinion, but I do not recommend riding a bike on most streets in Manhattan - or are you asking about biking in Central Park?

You may be interested in this Citi bikes program: https://www.citibikenyc.com/

I hope you have an enjoyable time in NYC. Regards, Salacia

I am considering the Hyatt Stanhope Hotel for 3 days prior to our June 11th cruise on the QM2. My wife and I have stayed at the Plaza in the past and it was great. I want a view of the Park or some other majical setting. Since I am not familiar with the Hotels with Park Views I thought I would ask for some help and suggestions. I am also open to hear about other Hotels that offer some other exceptional view or ambiance. Actually looking forward to our City visit as much as the cruise.

Hi,

I once stayed at the Helmsley Park Hotel, which is located just across the Central Park S. My room in the upper part of the hotel had a direct view on the Central Park, which was more than impressive. A large room, nicely decorated ('classical style' throughout the hotel) with the usual amenities.

I would go there again.

Enjoy your cruise and New York!

Most of the hotel's mentioned here are along Central Park South - they offer great views of the park, from the south, and proximity to busy mid-town. The Stanhope is really special: located in the more residential Upper East Side, across Fifth Avenue from the Metroploitan Museum, and offering views to the west across the park.

Arriving in New York on MSC. Interested in Central Park. What is the best way to get there? Want to rent bikes--a company name would help. Also other ideas would be helpful.

Taxi from cruise terminal is the best way to get to most places in NYC. For bike rental, you would only want to rent in the park - most city rentals are blocks away and would give you a tough time getting to the park through city traffic. Go to the Loeb Boathouse - where you can also rent row boats on the park lake. They rent bikes there - right next to the park drive with its separate bike lane. Phone:212-517-2233.

Archived