Panama railroad tour

SUZIEN48

We did a Liberty cruise in 2006 that went to Panama and we took the train tour. I would recommend it. It's a bit pricey but you have to take into account that it includes a bus to the train station; the train ride and then a bus trip to the locks. It also includes 2 guides (one for the train and another for the buses).

The actual train car is very comfortable and you have a good size table in front of your seat. There is plenty of room and it is not crowded. The windows are large and you get a very good view and can even take pictures from your seat. If I remember right, the trip was about an hour and a half and you went along the canal and lake and considerable jungle. There are many towns and hamlets along the way and you will see portions of the army bases that we left behind. Be prepared for rain because they get considerable in Panama. The actual stay at the locks is short but enough to take some pictures and if lucky see a ship or two.

I have a picture of the train interior and can send it to you on the web if you want. Send request to richfret@comcast.net.

Check out my SMUGMUG link below - then choose CRUISES, then LEGEND Nov. 16th, 2006 for many more photos from this excursion.

Make sure when you board the train that you get in the seat on the RIGHT hand (bench seat) side of this picture - that will be the canal side (for both directions of the trip!). Kids on this excursion seemed pretty bored. We opted not to take this excursion a 2nd time (we got off the Legend a week ago) when we brought our son. We THOUGHT that we would take this excursion BOTH times - and that our son (14) would appreciate it. However, after we tried it, we knew that he would not enjoy it very much. The bus ride around town on the Pacific side was putting MANY people to sleep... YAWN!!

112710170-L.jpg

112710213-L.jpg

Tom

Thanks for the information in the railroad tour. We have no kids going so that won't be a problem. Looks like it is quite comfortable. Rhe train is air conditioned, right?!!

Sue

Thanks for the information in the railroad tour. We have no kids going so that won't be a problem. Looks like it is quite comfortable. Rhe train is air conditioned, right?!!

Sue

Yes, the train as well as the busses - comfortable enough to TAKE A NAP..:D

Also - the SNACK which they provide (after you re-board the train) is a joke. This is a long excursion, eat well before you go.

Tom

we're off tomorrow on the Regal Princess 20-day/19-night itinery to the Panama Canal from LA & back to LA, booked it last-last minute yesterday:D :D .

Happy cruising everyone :)

Does your sailing go THROUGH the canal also (at least to Gatun Lake)?

Have a great time Captain.

Tom

Does your sailing go THROUGH the canal also (at least to Gatun Lake)?

Have a great time Captain.

Tom

Thanks Tom,

I'm sure we will. We did this same exact itinery on the same ship 7 months ago, it goes all the way to Lake Gatun, cruises the lake and stays overnight there and then back to the Pacific side the following morning. I have spent the entire afternoon making car rental reservations at all the ports of call where we are there for a full day , Nicaragua, Guatemala & Costa Rica (Puntarenas) are always a pain in the backside to make online rental car reservations.

we're off tomorrow on the Regal Princess 20-day/19-night itinery to the Panama Canal from LA & back to LA, booked it last-last minute yesterday:D :D .

Happy cruising everyone :)

Wow that sounds wonderful. Can't wait to hear all about it.

We just did the Panama itinerary out of Ft. Lauderdale on the Legend - including the railroad tour - in February. Although it is not your typical "caribbean cruise" we had a blast and have recommeded it to everyone.

If we do it again I definately would want to go through the locks.

Bring back all of the details....I'll be waiting :D

If you're talking about the Ocean to Ocean train tour,by all means it's worth it. We did that in April of 06,and enjoyed it very much. We paid the extra money,and got seats in the observation car. I made the reservation early,because that car only seats so many,and fills up. The rail tracks are lazer welded,so that it sails along about 70 MPH,and it's extreamly smooth. You don't hear,or feel,any of the old clickity-clack of the rails. Our tour guide was Uncle Marty,and he was good. Have a great cruise.

If you're talking about the Ocean to Ocean train tour,by all means it's worth it. We did that in April of 06,and enjoyed it very much. We paid the extra money,and got seats in the observation car. I made the reservation early,because that car only seats so many,and fills up. The rail tracks are lazer welded,so that it sails along about 70 MPH,and it's extreamly smooth. You don't hear,or feel,any of the old clickity-clack of the rails. Our tour guide was Uncle Marty,and he was good. Have a great cruise.

70MPH? I never felt we were traveling that fast, though I rarely travel on trains, and that is hard to judge.

The "observation" (Dome) car, from what I understand, is rarely available through Carnival. On other lines I understand that it is sometimes optional. Was there an extra charge for it? It was not available on our sailing - I inquired at the shore excursions desk and was told "no, sorry" - yet the train seemed rather full.

Tom

And like many others, there are ups and downs. I really liked hearing the history of the canal and seeing remnants of our military presence. We were even lucky enough to see a party boat going through the lock we stopped at.

On the bus, I think DW, DD and myself all fell asleep! The excursion is wicked long. I'm not sure I'd do it again, but I don't regret taking it if that makes any sense.

We did ocean to ocean tour in January on Celebrity. Since Panama is really only a 'ship excursion' port, the dome ride train fit our needs. Very comfortable, air conditioned. I heard the boat excursions were very hot. We personally found"Uncle Marty" irritating by the end of the day. We enjoyed the bus tour and seeing the locks. Once was acceptable, would not do this tour twice. Felt we had a good take on the country and was glad we did it over a hot boat ride.

Tom, yes we were able to book the dome car thru Carnival. They offered both the reg train and the dome car. Guess we got lucky. Yes, it does cost more. I can't remember exactly how much,but it seems like around $50 more pp.

No, the train doesn't feel like it's going that fast,but our guide told us that was our speed.

Archived