Duty Free Liquor Prices?

Bily

I was wondering, where is the best place to buy my liquor. I know I can't have it until the night before we leave. I was just curious if it was cheaper to buy it at the duty free shop on board or if it was cheaper to buy it in Ketchikan, Juneau, or Skagway?:confused: I don't know much about duty free shops. Do they all have the same prices or do they vary?

I was wondering, where is the best place to buy my liquor. I know I can't have it until the night before we leave. I was just curious if it was cheaper to buy it at the duty free shop on board or if it was cheaper to buy it in Ketchikan, Juneau, or Skagway?:confused: I don't know much about duty free shops. Do they all have the same prices or do they vary?

Check your home prices before you leave. Since all of those ports are in the US, the only price difference might be lower state taxes, but then they have higher shipping costs to start with. Federal taxes would be the same as at home.

And, I assume you will be flying and therefore will have to CHECK the booze and risk breakage. Unless there is a SIGNIFICANT price variance, it is hard to see the value.

On the DAWN we purchased Tanquearay Gin 2 for $25, and Gray Goose 2 bottles for $50......there was a Sale in the Duty free shop on the ship that day. I did find a lower price in St. Thomas for my Tequila...:D

The bottles purchased on the ship were the 1 Liter size.

Just a reminder that NCL will hold your liquor purchases until the last night........I know someone was just about to ask, they always do.:)

Check your home prices before you leave. Since all of those ports are in the US, the only price difference might be lower state taxes, but then they have higher shipping costs to start with. Federal taxes would be the same as at home.

And, I assume you will be flying and therefore will have to CHECK the booze and risk breakage. Unless there is a SIGNIFICANT price variance, it is hard to see the value.

I don't think that's correct (but I'm not 100% sure). They will be required to have at least one foreign port stop. When in international waters, the ship's duty free store should be open.

I can tell you that when we were on the RCI Radiance in the PNW (left from Vancouver and ended in Seattle) that the duty free store was open while we were at sea because they had rum tastings and special pricing (buy more, save more, etc.) at duty free prices.

I'm not sure if NCL does the same, but that was our experience.

beachchick

I don't think that's correct (but I'm not 100% sure). They will be required to have at least one foreign port stop. When in international waters, the ship's duty free store should be open.

I can tell you that when we were on the RCI Radiance in the PNW (left from Vancouver and ended in Seattle) that the duty free store was open while we were at sea because they had rum tastings and special pricing (buy more, save more, etc.) at duty free prices.

I'm not sure if NCL does the same, but that was our experience.

beachchick

My reference to each of those cities was to point out that they were still in the US. Duty free should be open on the ship somewhere along the line, but the OP was asking about buying in those ports.

The same issues about buying and checking still apply though.

Just another note, we found that the pricing on the ship was far better than anything in our area (the State of Washington). WA. has some of the highest prices in the country, due to taxes on the booze. If you are traveling by air you will have to pack it in your suitcases. We did this from Florida. No problems this year, but one year we ended up with some really nice scented Tequila clothing. :)

I found the on-board prices to be good and better, or at least comparable, to airports and on shore (Cozamel, Grand Cayman) and a pretty good selection, too. Since most of the bottles are liter instead of 750 the deals are even better when you look closer.

Take a list of your favorites from home. I believe in buying the more expensive (single malts, liquers, etc) than the standards; greater savings. ANd you can buy as much as you like; you may have to pay a duty of around 10%--still worth it.

Dining Alaska, for sure buy duty free on ship; other intineraries, maybe not. All you have to do is figure out a way to get the booze into your shipped luggage secured so it won't break. We were able to do this on our cruise through the canal last November. WE just packed it in our luggage with dirty clothes wrapped around it. The most important thing: make sure the luggage is really full so the bottles can not move. NMnita

Booze in Alaska is quite expensive, unless you shop at one of the discount liquor warehouses or chance upon a good sale. However, if you buy liquor onboard at the duty free, you can't get it until you disembark. If you want to have something to drink onboard you need to bring it with you. However, I believe some cruise lines will confiscate booze out of luggage and RCI and Carnival won't even let you bring soda or water on board.

My reference to each of those cities was to point out that they were still in the US. Duty free should be open on the ship somewhere along the line, but the OP was asking about buying in those ports.

The same issues about buying and checking still apply though.

Okay, I gotcha. My brain must have just blanked out on that part of the question. Duh!

beachchick

Since I live in Canada I will have to report the liquor that I bought and probably have it carried on board the plane. At least that is what I am guessing. Can anyone from Canada confirm this? If not that is what I will do and see what happens.:rolleyes:

Thanks for your posts and your ideas. I will certainly shop around because the liquor is expensive here at home.

Archived