WWYD? Brilliance 11 day PC partial or Radiance 14 day EB full crossing

We currently have an 11 day partial PC crossing on Brilliance. We are looking at the 14 day EB full crossing on Radiance next October (2008).

What would you do? Cost is about $1400 more ($150 pp per day). How does Radiance compare to Brilliance? What about the ports of call?

Help me decide. Thanks

We currently have an 11 day partial PC crossing on Brilliance. We are looking at the 14 day EB full crossing on Radiance next October (2008).

What would you do? Cost is about $1400 more ($150 pp per day). How does Radiance compare to Brilliance? What about the ports of call?

Help me decide. Thanks

Both ships are Radiance class, so I guess we do not need to consider that. The major difference is the ports, the length of the cruise, and the Money!

Ports: BOS is mostly Caribbean ports, ROS is Mexican ports and Columbia. Do you prefer one set of ports over the other?

Length: Brilliance is a partial transit of the Canal in 11 days, While ROS is a full transit in 14. I have done both and I like the full transit, but only because I enjoy the cruising on the 50 miles of river. Either cruise will give a very good perspective of the Canal and how it works. For me the river cruise is added bonus.

Cost: $1400 more for ROS...about $466 for each extra day. Not sure what type cabin you are looking at, but $466 a day is about the average for a Canal type cruise.

My DW and I will be on the 14 night next October, maybe we will see you!

Any other questions, just ask....

as someone has already posted, the ships are identical with the exception of decor so that is not an issue. The differences in cost relate to the number of days and the distance travelled as well as port charges. If you are interested in the Panama Canal itself you can see the operation of one set of locks (Gatun) as you go in to and later exit from Gatun Lake. I also believe the ships offer an excursion while in Gatun Lake which allows closer investigation of the canal workingsl Also remember that with the partial transit you will leave from and return to the same port. With the full transit, you will depart a Florida port and disembark in California. Therefore the air fare associated with a full transit will be more because it is "open jaw" -in other words, home to FL and CA to home is more than a round trip home to FL and return:)

Well we have a 7 day DCL cruise booked in December, we then turn around and have this 11 day currently booked on Brilliance next March for Ms. Flagger's 40th birthday.

I just happened to look online at the new schedules and saw the Radiance 14 day EB cruise from SAN to FLL in October 2008. Ms. Flagger seems to think it might be better to take the 14 day even though she misses 10 days of pre-school versus 10 days of kindergarten with the 10/08 cruise.

We have only taken 7 day cruises and wonder if 14 days will be too much of a leap and maybe the 11 day will be better. One bonus for us, the final payment will not be due on 12/24 for the Radiance as it is currently for Brilliance.

Flagger I can think of a couple of more advantages to the 14day cruise. First, living here in San Diego, you will get an opportunity to see our fine city where the airport is only a 10minute cab ride from the cruise terminal.

Second, since you have done only 7day cruises, you have not had the opportunity to enjoy several sea days which the Radiance will have between ports. so it is less port intensive, giving you a greater opportunity to enjoy the ship itself. We have done 6or 7 transCanal cruises and really enjoy them; it is our favorite means of transportation between the east and left coast!

And if you decide on the 14day, do not delay if you want your choice of cabin because they sell out quickly; most ships do only 2 per year when they are repositioning from Alaska to the Caribbean and reverse.:)

We could drive down to FLL, leave our car at the port and fly from FLL to SAN.

One big positive for me about the 11 day is we come back on a Friday, which give us all two days to recover before returning to work and school. The 14 day arrives on a Sunday which means straight back to work and school the next day.

We could drive down to FLL, leave our car at the port and fly from FLL to SAN.

One big positive for me about the 11 day is we come back on a Friday, which give us all two days to recover before returning to work and school. The 14 day arrives on a Sunday which means straight back to work and school the next day.

This is a huge point. We got back last Friday and with the two days left before work it gave my husband a bit of a time to relax and gave us the time to do all the laundry before the craziness returned today. Definitely a lot less hectic!!!

We did the 10 day. I like the 10 day because you leave on a Friday and get back to work on a Tuesday. That way people think you were really only gone a week. The 11 days starts getting you into the taking 2 week off scenerio and that can be problematic sometimes.

Mark

We have done both............kinda..........a 10 day on the Brilliance and a 15 day EB on the Radiance.........

To me there is no comparison..........do the full transit.........there is nothing like a two week cruise.........

Price is a consideration...........you will have to decide that........but for our money and time.........the full transit is the way to go.......

We did the 10 day. I like the 10 day because you leave on a Friday and get back to work on a Tuesday. That way people think you were really only gone a week. The 11 days starts getting you into the taking 2 week off scenerio and that can be problematic sometimes.

Mark

It is only problematic when the money runs out,:eek: until then it is better than even my best day at work!

The problem I have is two weeks at work, feels like 4 weeks....while two weeks on a cruise, feels like one week...what is that all about?:confused:

Maybe that is what the theory of relativity is all about...

We have done three partial transits and one full transit (EB) of the canal and have booked the Brilliance again for next March because of the mixture of ports and sea days. I have loved every one but the full transit was my favorite mainly for the number of sea days. The trip between Miraflores and Gatun is very enjoyable and I never tire watching the workings of the canal. This past cruise on the Brilliance we got off in Gatun Lake and took the small ferry the remaining way to Balboa. It gave quite a different perspective. The only negative for a full transit is the flying end of it. For us it's such a pleasure to drive to and from the ship.

Oh to be burdened with such decisions. Still waiting on Hawaii to be released.

Ms. Flagger is leaning more towards the EB full transit which does get us back on a Sunday, but at least we fly in the same time zone home.

I am really interested in Hawaii, but she worries what will our then five year old do with all of those days at sea coming and going.

Really wanting an AFT JS, but so far nothing is available.

My vote is the 14 night full transit - in fact, I booked it last week as soon as the itinerary was opened. It will be our second time doing the full transit and I'm looking forward to it as much as the first. It was one of the best cruises we've ever done!!

I agree with Jimbo - 15 night Hawaii is even better!!! See you then Jimbo!!!

Susan

Coming back to thank everyone who answered this thread.

We have decided to keep the 11 day PC partial on Brilliance in a JS and just booked the 15 day Radiance San-HNL RT for 10/08 in a D1. I would love the extra credit of a JS and the space, but a D1 was $2200 less and that is a lot of money towards island adventures.

We both turn 39 for the second time next year and hopefully we can do both cruises. We have until Christmas Eve to decide if we will do one versus the other or even both.

Archived