Transatlantic East or West???

Ms. Alpha

DH and I are looking at a European cruise for July 2008. We are considering the Maasdam - Voyage of the Vikings, but one way only. Would appreciate feedback from cruisers who have done one or both legs of this trip on which leg would be best. Time and $$$ prevent us from doing the 35 day combo. Choices are Boston to Rotterdam - 17 days or Rotterdam to Boston 18 days.

We did the Boston to Rotterdam cruise on the Maasdam back in July of 2005. We loved the cruise and enjoyed all the ports. The only drawback for this cruise was losing time the whole way over. In other words, our days were shortened.

If you did the crossing from Rotterdam to Boston, you do have the longer days as you are gaining hours which is a big bonus.

We chose the 17 day cruise as we wanted to visit New York and Boston before boarding the ship and wanted to finish our vacation in Switzerland before flying home. We also wanted to do the itinerary that was for the first part of the voyage.

Jennie

We've done both a B2B and an eastbound transatlantic. There are advantages to both. If you don't mind loosing an hour a night sailing over, then decide which itinerary has the ports you would prefer to visit. If it will be your first trip to Europe it might be easier and more comfortable to take the eastbound as there will be no concerns about currency exchange before you go. Both legs have a nice amount of sea days but placed differently. Westbound is more port intensive up front, so combined with jet lag may not be good for some. Judge your itinerary by your individual needs. It's exciting to think of seeing so much but if you're too tired to enjoy it......

If you take the westbound, plan to fly in early to help combat jet lag but then you need to book a hotel. This is generally hassle free in the Netherlands. You could even get a HAL hotel in Rotterdam or (Amsterdam which is the arrival airport) which would include hotel and pier transfers (it is more expensive to do everything through HAL but convenience may be more of a consideration for you).

We're flying to Rome this fall for a westbound TA so we're trying to decide if we'll do it all independently or go with HAL for some or all arrangements.

If you have specific questions please ask.

GN

How much do you like airplane travel? If, like most, it's more of an indignity you suffer in order to cruise, then plan to fly east, cruise west. You want to use the cruise to rest up from the flight, not use a flight to ruin the good memories of the cruise.;)

How much do you like airplane travel? If, like most, it's more of an indignity you suffer in order to cruise, then plan to fly east, cruise west. You want to use the cruise to rest up from the flight, not use a flight to ruin the good memories of the cruise.;)

And you get 6 extra hours to do so!!! (Going the other way you lose 6 hours!):D

I knew I could count on CC'ers. Aussie Gal, I never considered the time change - more points for westbound. :) As this will be our first trip to this part of the world, the variety of ports on the westbound appeals to us (rather than 3 stops in Iceland), but I am concerned about the number of port days in a row (7 for 2008!) to start out.

Dakrewser - appreciate the thoughts on flights, but as we live in western Canada we will have to fly home anyway, though this would be shorter than the flight over to Europe.

Grannynurse - I like the idea of flying to Holland early to combat jet lag.

I think we are leaning towards the westbound, which is appropriate as this cruise is to celebrate our 25th anniversary and the date is during the westbound segment.

Westbound by all means and dont worry about the port intensive part at the beginning - your sea days will give you plenty of opportunity to rest up from that. And those sea days will be 25hour days!

You say you have not been over there before. I strongly suggest you fly in a few days (at least a couple) ahead of sailing to allow yourself time to explore the Netherlands, a small country with excellent train service. And it will also afford the opportunity to overcome the jet lag of flying over. You would be flying in to Amsterdam(Schipol) so you could stay there for a day or so then go on to Rotterdam for another day or so before boarding the ship. Check to see if X does not offer some type of precruise stay.:)

I've done this cruise round-trip several times; if you can only do one segment I highly recommend the west-bound.

Yes, it's port-intensive up front, but very relaxing after that. The ports of St. Anthony and Cornerbrook in Newfoundland are very interesting; Qaqortoc, Greenland is a charming little town. I'm quite partial to Isafjord and Akureyri, Iceland.

I suggest you do not do full-day tours in the big cities; alternate full and half-day tours so as not to overdo.

Oh, and those six nights of an extra hour sleep are nothing to sneeze at! ;)

My eighth Transatlantic is coming up next month. I used to echo the refrains that you've already heard in this thread: Westbound, Westbound, Westbound. That extra hour you gain 5 or 6 times as you cross the pond westbound is a wonderful vacation bonus.

But now I think otherwise. Having suffered the epic indignity of the sleepless red-eye (going to Europe or the UK from the USA by jet) one too many times, I've started to prefer the exquisitely GRADUAL process of time change on an eastbound crossing by ship. I arrive in Europe incredibly relaxed and refreshed, and it doesn't take me any time to get adjusted to the time difference. And I don't mind the westbound flight back to the US at all.

It's all a matter of what works best for you. If the dates work, the itinerary works, the ship works, and the price works, then you will have one of the best vacation experiences of your life!

Are visas required for US citizens for any of the countries on the Maasdam's 35 day cruise?

No. At least not when I've taken it. I haven't done this cruise since '05, and the rules are always subject to change, but I haven't heard of any visa requirements being added to this itinerary.

The first time I took this the itinerary was different and we went all the way to Russia. In Russia you need to either have a visa, be on a HAL tour, or be in a tour group (such as Red October, Denrus, etc.).

But the way this itinerary has been run the last several years there hasn't been any need for any visas.

Ms Alpha,

You may want to consider doing a renewal of vows ceremony for your 25th. HAL has a great package that now includes a dinner for 2 at the Pinnacle Grill. It also includes flowers for your room, corsage, boutonnaire, hors d'ouerves, champagne, music, photos, photo album, and certificate. We did it on our 25th on the Rotterdam somewhere between Iceland and NewFoundland. It was wonderful.

There is a great excursion from Amsterdam to Zaanse Shans the windmill village. You'll so many choices of things to do in the Netherlands.

I envy your having all this time to plan. Oh and don't miss Boston, stay a day or two, it's great.

GN

Definitely westbound because of the hours gained.

Although when we were on an eastbound cruise last May from Osaka, Japan to Vancouver, BC, we crossed the International Date Line and experienced Friday, May 10th two days in a row (1 casual and 1 formal). We also got charged for the tips both days. Some passengers, of course, complained about this but after all it was 2 days!

Dakrewser - appreciate the thoughts on flights, but as we live in western Canada we will have to fly home anyway, though this would be shorter than the flight over to Europe.

Be sure to check for direct, even non-stop, flights. These would go "over the pole" and could be a lot shorter. For example, last year when we were catching our ship in Amsterdam, the KLM non-stop from San Francisco was a 10-hour flight. Taking any others, with plane changes in Chicago, New York, LA, etc. would all be 15-18 hours. It made a BIG difference ;)

What to do. We thought we had decided to go Rotterdam to Boston, but now we are now torn between the westbound transAtlantic and this new option - 16 days Rome to Stockholm (including Livorno, Cannes,Lisbon, Le Havre, London, Amsterdam, Kiel Canal, Helsinki, St. Petersburgh, Tallin & Helsinki)

This Rotterdam to Boston appealed to us as the classic ocean crossing, with the British Isles and the unusual ports in Greenland & Iceland thrown in. Nowwe wonder if the new option is a better "Europe" experience for first time cruisers to this part of the world.

Any thoughts?

(Bonus - email from TA says we may be able to get a balcony for comparable to ocean view on Transatlantic- of course she is off today so can't confirm actual $$ difference)

Our criteria to the TA were simple: 12 - 14 days (or longer if $$ were right), ocean view (at least) and it had to be in July/Aug 2008. Europe seemed a logical choice since we didn't want to do a b2b Alaska.

Mrs Alpha,

As been said earlier, how much flying do you want to do? The second trip would have you flying both ways and increase the price. There are fewer at-sea days on the second itinerary. It sounds like too much to do for a first trip to Europe, at least for me. There is so much walking on cobblestone streets that it really wore me out. I really think that you would enjoy the TA more as a first European trip, and if you could get a balcony it would be worth the extra. I wanted to do and see EVERYTHING in Europe first time too, but I'm glad I did the TA. I just love ocean crossings.

Choose your itinerary by your lifestyle. If you are very active and want to see and do more then go for the 2nd option.

If you want to relax and enjoy, go with your original westbound TA.

TransAtlantic cruising is really a bargain, IMO.

Activity-wise, I found out the hard way on several occasions of biting off more than I could chew.

Good luck,

GN

What to do. We thought we had decided to go Rotterdam to Boston, but now we are now torn between the westbound transAtlantic and this new option - 16 days Rome to Stockholm (including Livorno, Cannes,Lisbon, Le Havre, London, Amsterdam, Kiel Canal, Helsinki, St. Petersburgh, Tallin & Helsinki)

Run, do not walk, to your TA and book the Rome to Stockholm cruise. This is a fantastic introduction to Europe for a first-timer! But I'd also suggest you let HAL book air for you, and do at least one night pre-cruise in a hotel (to catch up from jetlag, but also to see a bit of Rome. Two nights would be better.)

It's a fantastic itinerary and must be on the Prinsendam, which is our favorite HAL ship. Do not hesitate, do it!

What to do. We thought we had decided to go Rotterdam to Boston, but now we are now torn between the westbound transAtlantic and this new option - 16 days Rome to Stockholm (including Livorno, Cannes,Lisbon, Le Havre, London, Amsterdam, Kiel Canal, Helsinki, St. Petersburgh, Tallin & Helsinki).
I agree with Dave - for the first time in Europe see as many ports as you can. Even though you don't get enough time in any, it will help you learn where you want to go back to. Sea days are the same (pretty much) anywhere in the world ... save them for boring itineraries, not Europe.

I also agree with Dave & JTL..We've done two Trans-Atlantic's one Eastbound & one Westbound but believe the ROM-STO is the best cruise for a first time trip to Europe..Plan to spend at least two-three days in Rome & two days in Stockholm..The Prinsendam is also our favorite ship..Reminds me of an Elegant old European Hotel..It's going into dry dock in Dec of this year, so it will be spanking new when you take your 25th Anniv. Cruise..:) Betty

This Rotterdam to Boston appealed to us as the classic ocean crossing, with the British Isles and the unusual ports in Greenland & Iceland thrown in. Nowwe wonder if the new option is a better "Europe" experience for first time cruisers to this part of the world.

Hmm.... you didn't mention here (as you did on the Princess boards) that the Rome to Stockholm was on a Princess ship. Be aware that the ship-board experience will not be as good. I say that as omeone who just got off a Princess cruise 2 weeks ago. In fact, I would expect the Princess cruise to be much less expensive.

Still, that itinerary is preferable for a first-time European cruise, I'd simply suggest you'll have a better time on HAL.

Mrs T.A did not mention the Prinsendam. Mrs T.A. is looking at Princess's Royal Princess. Even though it is a different cruise line I would take the Rome to Stockholm cruise over the T.A.

We have done the Baltic, we have also cruised from Copenhagen to Rome and we have done the Eastbound Boston to Rotterdam. Out of all these cruises the one I want to repeat again is the Baltic cruise and with the itinerary offered on the Royal Princess you will be combining two of those cruises.

The ports offered are interesting plus you will have some warm weather which was the downfall for us on the TA cruise.

There is one big consideration and that is the ship. The Maasdam is a much bigger ship than the Royal Princess which is a sister to the Pacific and Tahitian Princesses and also the three Oceania ships except on the Royal there are no Mini Suites. The verandah and normal ocean view suites are so much smaller than on the HAL's S and R ships and the bathrooms are tiny with only a shower, no bath. In fact it is very hard for two people to be in the bathroom at one time. If you realize this then it makes your choice easier. I would hate for you to book this ship and find out on boarding that you are on a much smaller ship, with no roof over the pool which is wonderful on cooler days, no wraparound deck for walking and less lounges and bars etc. By the same token, the ship is delightfully furnished in "English country home" style and we love these smaller ships having been on them 3 times and have booked more cruises on them.

So you have to make two choices, one whether you like the itinerary better and two, whether you prefer the smaller shp. Remember, the smaller ship will take you further into ports where the bigger ships cannot go. ie. St. Petersburg, I think you will actually dock right in the city not at the cargo port where most ships dock.

Jennie

Sorry if some of you assumed I was talking about a HAL cruise, but I did mention Royal Princess in the title.

We were leaning to HAL as we have not cruised on Princess for quite some time and others have told us we might be disappointed in the service. The ship is the new Royal Princess (debuting this month). I have some reservations about the ship being smaller (and no wrap-around Promenade deck!). Also have heard not to expect much in the way of enrichment lectures etc on Princess.

As for price, the email from TA said the price for a Balcony on this sailing was near the same as ocean view on Maasdam. Having never cruised with a balcony, this has some appeal! I'm also assuming a balcony on the Royal itinerary would be more use than on the North Atlantic.

Sounds like more questions for TA before we book (and input from CC'ers)

Ms Alpha,

It sounds like you may be looking at some details that are less important than the actual cruise. I'm not disputing things that may be very important to you.... BUT

Isn't the itinerary the resaon for taking the cruise? We've been on several HAL ships and realize the difference between "the ship as the destination" vs the itinerary. We've made choices on both counts for different reasons such as to be with friends, or to see a different part of the world.

Why are you going? It's a first trip to Europe, what do you want from the experience? Are you an active couple or do you value relaxation? If you want to see all that you can see in Europe, then obviously the Rome to Sweden trip is for you. But as a caution, A cruise really just gives you a taste for what you want to go back and do. As Ruth said earlier, trying to cram full days of touring in port after port may work for some people, but most just get worn out.

Pick the itinerary that excites you, then consider the logistics of flying and where you'll join your ship. The actual ship, unless it's really horrible, doesn't make that much difference unless you're a particular cruise line loyalist. You won't be spending that much time in the cabin on a port-intensive cruise. On a TA the cabin is VERY important to us because of the number of at-sea days.

If it's too much of a hassle, as it was for us when we wanted to go on the Oosterdam inaugural in 2003, then let it go.

There's alot of planning involved in preparing to sail from Europe. I just found out that booking a hotel in Rome 6 months before a cruise is too late and didn't get what I wanted.

I'm just suggesting that you make a list of your priorities. I hope you'll forgive my pushy attitude, I just don't want you to get overwhelmed with too many details and too many choices.

GN

Archived