Back from 1st Solo Cruise (Long)

LadyV_39

Just got back from my first solo cruise (and 4th overall). It was with a CC group (hi to all fellow CC'ers out there!). When I booked the cruise with the group eight months in advance, I was unaware that it was during spring break. When I discovered this later on, I was apprehensive about going, because I knew from this site that most of the passengers on holiday cruises consist of families and couples and I figured that I would feel out of place as a solo. Although none of the other CC'ers I met were solos, they were all friendly and I never felt out of place among them. In that sense, this site was a blessing.

As far as the ship itself (Carnival Miracle), I felt it was nicely decorated and understated. This was my third cruise with Carnival and from experience, I can say that Carnival tends to decorate their ships in bold (many would say loud and gaudy) colors, but that isn't the case with the Miracle. The layout is also more straightforward and less confusing on this ship than on the Conquest class ships I've previously been on. There's no need to walk up a flight of stairs to locate a dining room on the 3rd floor here. My cabin was a

1A. I'd thought from reading other posts on this site about these type of cabins that it would have a porthole, but my room didn't. I'm not sure if this is true of all 1A cabins on Spirit class ships or if it was just the room I was in. The room didn't have a bunk bed either-it had two twins pushed together to make a queen (or king. The bed was rather huge. And comfortable, I might add:) ). The room had more than enough space for my stuff, so that was a huge positive. The cabin steward, Ernesto, was okay, although on several occassions, he neglected to bring a beach towel after the room was cleaned. I had to keep reminding him. Other people would let lapses like this ruin their vacation but this was a relatively minor thing, so I didn't worry about it. The dining room staff was superb and were very attentive.

I'd been to two of the ports on the itinerary before (Grand Cayman and Cozumel) so I'd initially planned to wing it at these locations. However, the CCers had planned a group excursion in Grand Cayman to do Stingray City and Rum Point, so I decided to go along for the companionship. I wasn't disappointed as it was fun. In Cozumel, I went to Playa Palancar, which was less crowded than some of the other beaches there (Paradise Beach for one). However, there wasn't as much to do there, but I basically just went there to sunbathe and read my book. The CC'ers also planned another group excursion to do cave tubing in Belize with Yhony, which I also did. There are no adequate words in the English language to describe this amazing experience. This site does not lie! If you do cave tubing, do not do it with anyone else but Yhony. It's worth every cent. In Costa Maya, I went to Chaccoben through Nativechoice (David and Ivan). The group I was with had Ivan as the guide. I had another amazing experience because he was so passionate not just about the ruins but about the Mayan people in general.

To sum up my impressions as a solo cruiser as a whole: As I'd feared, the ship consisted of mostly families, although there were some couples here and there. If there were any other solos on the ship, I never met them. As I said before, the CC'ers were friendly and for that I was grateful, because I don't think my cruise would have been as fun without them. I had a few moments (when not with CC'ers) when I felt like a freak and yes, a few people did tell me that I was "so brave to be traveling by yourself," which, honestly, irked me. I'm a woman in my late 30's that's lived alone for the last decade; however, nobody thinks a woman living alone is extraordinary. Why do people think that a woman traveling alone is so mind boggling? I said as much to those people who expressed their amazement at my soloness, but I got the impression that they felt I was being defensive and the conversations got awkward.

Overall, I had a mixed experience. Yes, I did like having my own room. Yes, I loved the fact that I didn't have to follow anyone else's agenda but mine. However, I did wish that I had a loved one with me to share the experience. It may sound contradictory, but that's how I feel. If I ever do another solo cruise, I doubt it would be during a holiday or in a high demand season, like summer, where families dominate. This cruise tested my emotional strength and while I think I'm stronger for the experience, I'm not sure I'm ready to have it tested again.

Hi LadyV!

I am glad to hear that your cruise went well, all things considered. Sometimes the true value of an experience does not fully resonate until long after it is over, so perhaps you will look back and realize that having one's emotional strength tested from time to time is not such a bad thing.

One suggestion: You might want to slightly edit your comments for a general (non-solo) readership and post them as a cruise review on the Carnival Miracle boards. I imagine others could find your insights helpful.

Cheers!

Paul

Hi LadyV!

I am glad to hear that your cruise went well, all things considered. Sometimes the true value of an experience does not fully resonate until long after it is over, so perhaps you will look back and realize that having one's emotional strength tested from time to time is not such a bad thing.

One suggestion: You might want to slightly edit your comments for a general (non-solo) readership and post them as a cruise review on the Carnival Miracle boards. I imagine others could find your insights helpful.

Cheers!

Paul

Thanks! Although I'm not sure what the general readership would get out of my review. My experience was fairly intense at times (good and bad) that if I generalized it, it would make it bland. My experiences wouldn't necessarily apply to most other people.

I'm a woman in my late 30's that's lived alone for the last decade; however, nobody thinks a woman living alone is extraordinary.

Not according to my extended family! :) Everyone always thinks it's odd that a 30-something isn't married (or divorced). I just tell them that I have no desire to marry just so I can say I'm married...just like I don't want to miss out on great vacations while I wait for a friend or family member to have the interest, money or time to go.

However, I did wish that I had a loved one with me to share the experience. It may sound contradictory, but that's how I feel.

I went on a 3 day cruise, and I do agree that it would have been nice to have someone I knew to dine with. Luckily there weren't many kids on my cruise in Feb, and I'm hoping it'll be the same in Sept. When I was on the cruise there were some solos as well as couples, so I felt part of the group during the excursions.

I think keeping active really helped me because having a lot of excursions with other people, it was easy to feel a connection and have someone to talk to.

I'm hoping I can do a 7 day cruise without missing companions too much. I plan on keeping busy, and hope for good tablemates.

Lady V thanks for sharing your cruise experiences with us. It sounds like you had a wonderful vacation on balance. You would have chuckled to see me nodding my head when you got the comments of your fellow cruisers about your solo status. I think I have posted pretty much those same replies before LOL.

Wasn't it fabulous to have all the space in the bathroom and closet to yourself?? I hope you try solo cruising again.

Not according to my extended family! :) Everyone always thinks it's odd that a 30-something isn't married (or divorced). I just tell them that I have no desire to marry just so I can say I'm married...just like I don't want to miss out on great vacations while I wait for a friend or family member to have the interest, money or time to go.

Maybe I should have qualified my statement to say "most people". I do have a few older relatives that keep asking when I plan to get married and/or have children, but as I only see them once or twice a year, that dosen't bother me much:) My mother says I could do bad by myself, but as my folks are separated, I take it as a rather bitter statement :rolleyes:

Lady V,

It was a pleasure to meet you on the cruise. We had a great time and we were glad you were a part of our group. Maybe we will meet up again somewhere in the cruising world!!

It was great meeting you too. Till our ships cross again:)

I am glad that you enjoy your cruise, HOW much more did it cost you for the cruise and did you go to the single party on the first night.

The Carnival 1A cabins only have a 150% single supplement, as compared to the 200% you'd have to pay for their other cabins, as well as with many other lines. The CC group rate for this cruise wasn't bad either so all that combined, I made out pretty good. I actually did go to the single party and they played a raunchy game of musical chairs. I didn't participate, but it was fun to watch:)

LadyV,

I cruised during the Christmas/New Years holidays (2006) on the Dawn Princess and figured there were maybe 20-30 solos. There was 2 meet and greets for us in the first few days of the cruise.

Its great that you connected with CCers and went with others on excursions.

Whenever I travel on tours and cruises I get the 'your so brave' comments from other woman so now I just say that travelling on a tour or cruise is just so easy--all I have to do is show up.

I had a good time on my cruise and would cruise over a Christmas holiday again. I work at a university library and this is when I get vacation time.

Faith

Overall, I had a mixed experience. Yes, I did like having my own room. Yes, I loved the fact that I didn't have to follow anyone else's agenda but mine. However, I did wish that I had a loved one with me to share the experience. It may sound contradictory, but that's how I feel. If I ever do another solo cruise, I doubt it would be during a holiday or in a high demand season, like summer, where families dominate. This cruise tested my emotional strength and while I think I'm stronger for the experience, I'm not sure I'm ready to have it tested again.

Thank you for being so candid about your experience. I have traveled solo many times in the last few years and while I always have a good time overall, sometimes there are moments where loneliness or awkwardness occurs, sometimes when eating dinner by myself or experiencing an unexpected problem while traveling.

...Like the time I was going in circles for an hour trying to figure out how to get to the entrance of a hotel located on a busy highway in Boston while I was running out of gas. I finally had to get directions at a police station located in a suburban neighborhood about four miles away from my destination and it still took me two more tries to get it right. Needless to say, it's difficult to drive while one is crying and lost. :)

Or, on the same trip, when I was enchanted by the beauty of the Green Mountains of Vermont in autumn but felt pangs of sadness because there was no one to share the moment with.

I think these moments are pretty common when one travels alone. Most of need human interaction and when you're by yourself, you have less control over getting it when you most need it. But that said, I have no regrets for getting out there and seeing new places or trying new things on my own, no matter how hard it is sometimes to take that first step. And time mellows the "worst" moments of any vacation. That New England trip where I got lost? It ranks up there with one of my best vacations ever.

I've only taken one cruise by myself and had a great time. Maybe I was lucky it all worked out and I met some really nice people. Maybe my next cruise in a few weeks won't work out quite as well. Regardless, I'm determined to try to have a good time on my own terms and have fun exploring a region of the country I've never been to before. That's one thing that I think is great about cruising. No matter how "bad" things go, I'm still on a cruise ship being pampered. And if I don't feel pampered enough, I'll pamper myself by booking a facial or ordering room service.

Lady V 39, thanks again for sharing your experience. It's a good reminder that sometimes traveling solo means you have to work harder at having a good time and sometimes, no matter what, the experience can fall short. I truly hope your next journey or cruise, whether taken solo or not, is a much more enjoyable trip.

I have found that cruising in the fall, there is a better chance of meeting

solo cruisers, the kids are in school. I solo also and I have found more singles on 10 days or more cruises. usually they seat you with other singles at meal time. it gives you chance to meet other people.

• 4 weeks later...

Earl:

It's good to hear that you're more likely to meet other solos in the fall, since that's when I sail next.

I have already gotten some good ideas about what I want to do in the Ports of Call, but I'm prepared to go with the flow if I meet some friends. I'm looking forward to meeting both singles and couples -- I'm especially looking forward to dinners with my tablemates.

Thank you for posting your review. I am going on my first solo this Sept. and am really looking forward to the experience. I enjoy being by myself and love to cruise. This will be my 10th cruise and it will be nice to be on my own schedule for the week.

I really know how you feel! I am 42 and have been divorced almost a year and a half. I have been on 3 cruises, 2 with my mom and 1 by myself. While I also enjoyed time to myself, I was very aware of all the couples together and it made me feel out of place. BUT, i did choose to spend a lot of time alone and did not really hang out anywhere to meet anyone. I felt very lonely, but that is kinda what i chose on that cruise. I am going on a singles cruise in late sept., not to meet a man, as my teenaged daughter likes to day, but to make some friends and see some new places! It's funny, when i went by myself and ate in the Windjammer (RCCL) i felt like i had a sign on me that said, "She is SO lonely. She doesn't even have anyone to EAT with". I felt that everyone was staring at me and it made me very uncomfortable. BUT, when i went on my 3rd cruise with my mom, sometimes i would go eat by myself while she was doing something else, and it didn't bother me one BIT to be by myself!:confused: I'm not a very outgoing person (i have been a stay at home mom for 19 years) so that is something i am working on, but i don't think i will be cruising by myself anytime soon. Maybe it is just too soon after my divorce, I don't know.

Lady V,

Thanks for taking the time to post about your solo cruise experience. I just recently got back from a solo cruise with a CC group. It wasn't my first solo cruise, but I can relate to a lot of what you had to say.

Sometimes when I see a couple having a good time together, it makes me feel bad that I've not been able to find someone who shares my interests, one of which is cruising. I meet lots of couples on cruises who tell me stories about all the cruises they've taken, and it seems like it's the men who are doing all the talking, so there are obviously men out there who enjoy cruising. How and where do we meet them? :confused:

Earl,

I've seen lots of people post that the cruise lines seat singles together, but that's not been my experience. Only happened to me one time. I was at a table for 6 - 3 singles, 1 couple, and 1 no show. Turns out the no show was a singleton who was embarrassed to come to dinner because she was by herself. On my April CC cruise to Hawaii, they sat me at one table and the other 2 singles with the same dining time at the table next to me. Don't know why the maitre d' didn't just seat us together.

Roz

Lady V,

Thanks for taking the time to post about your solo cruise experience. I just recently got back from a solo cruise with a CC group. It wasn't my first solo cruise, but I can relate to a lot of what you had to say.

Sometimes when I see a couple having a good time together, it makes me feel bad that I've not been able to find someone who shares my interests, one of which is cruising. I meet lots of couples on cruises who tell me stories about all the cruises they've taken, and it seems like it's the men who are doing all the talking, so there are obviously men out there who enjoy cruising. How and where do we meet them? :confused:

Roz

That's a great question. If anyone has the answer, let me know:D

I was just on my 2nd solo cruise and, while I enjoy the dining room for dinner, was seated at a table where no one else showed up. I spoke with the head waiter about seating me at another table. Unfortunately, he could not find another table for me to sit at. A table of 12 had no one show up.

Thankfully, a couple at the next table asked me to join them. Although I love cruising, and will go on more, I am reluctant to bring formal clothes only to dine alone (I can do that at the buffet).

Jalexsai,

Isn't it hard to believe that there wasn't a place he could seat you??? Surely there are last minute cancellations or maybe a table for 8 that they only assigned 7 people to? One of the main reasons I like to eat in the DR and have assigned seating is so I don't have to eat by myself.

Roz

The dining room experience used to be one of the best parts of cruising for me. I have heard from other people about having no one else from their show up for dinner for the entire cruise. What a shame.

I too have been single my entire life - just turned 40. Luckily for me I have a nice big group of single never married women to "play" with. All of us get the same dreaded questions about when are we getting married, why have we never been married, what's wrong with you, etc... I'm starting to think I should just tell people I am divorced, it seems more acceptable.

Maybe someone (i.e. me) should write a suggestion to Carnival or to all cruiselines (I do CCL mostly) that they set up some solo cruisers gatherings. It might make all the difference for some people. One the first night, one in the middle, and one towards the end.

Jalexsai,

Isn't it hard to believe that there wasn't a place he could seat you??? Surely there are last minute cancellations or maybe a table for 8 that they only assigned 7 people to? One of the main reasons I like to eat in the DR and have assigned seating is so I don't have to eat by myself.

Roz

He tried 2 other tables. 1 was full, the other one was empty. Many of the tables that were for 4 only had 2. If I don't do formal night, I can pack a carry on only. Not really worth checked luggage for one night with no one to dine with.

The dining room experience used to be one of the best parts of cruising for me. I have heard from other people about having no one else from their show up for dinner for the entire cruise. What a shame.

I too have been single my entire life - just turned 40. Luckily for me I have a nice big group of single never married women to "play" with. All of us get the same dreaded questions about when are we getting married, why have we never been married, what's wrong with you, etc... I'm starting to think I should just tell people I am divorced, it seems more acceptable.

Maybe someone (i.e. me) should write a suggestion to Carnival or to all cruiselines (I do CCL mostly) that they set up some solo cruisers gatherings. It might make all the difference for some people. One the first night, one in the middle, and one towards the end.

It's a good suggestion, but from the cruise lines standpoint, they may not think it would be worth their while. Solos aren't a huge part of the cruising market and from a business standpoint, they feel they'd make more money from families and couples, since naturally, those groups contain more people.

• 2 weeks later...
...Overall, I had a mixed experience. Yes, I did like having my own room. Yes, I loved the fact that I didn't have to follow anyone else's agenda but mine. However, I did wish that I had a loved one with me to share the experience. It may sound contradictory, but that's how I feel...

Indeed. I've cruised both with a mate and solo, and I prefer the former. However, I don't regret the solo adventure, and have booked another for later this year. I wish schedules would allow otherwise, but I can make the best of it, with is still pretty good.

The chief factor regarding cruising solo, I think, is the ports. If you visit places which interest you, it doesn't matter who you're with -- in fact, being solo offers a freedom not otherwise obtained.

On ship, I found my dinner partners interesting -- even though some were folks I wouldn't routinely acquaint myself with at home -- and visited with several outside of the dining room. I had a chance to 'invent' myself a bit -- by which I don't mean posturing, but presenting without expectation -- which itself is enlightening.

• 4 weeks later...

I just stumbled on to this part of CC tonight and boy, do I feel at home. I'm a 37 year old single female, never been married and for the last 5-6 years have been happily travelling solo.

Granted, some of these trips involve visiting cities where I have a friend or two, but I rarely spend all of my time with them. I love the freedom of not having to follow someone else's schedule and being able to do anything I feel like.

I took my first cruise this past February with two good friends from the west coast that I only get to see once or so a year. They shared a verandah cabin and I had my own oceanview (single supplement and all, but HAL is one of the cheaper ones out there). A few days in to our 7-day cruise, one of my friends came down with the dreaded noro virus and as a result the other had to be quarantined as well. So, there I was, a few hours away from docking at our second port and I had to scramble to find an excursion. It turned out wonderfully, I met a lot of great people and I believe my prior experiences travelling solo really helped make the day what it was.

I really enjoy the time I spend with them but we all seem to know when it's time to go our separate ways for our alone time....maybe that's why we're such good friends. We have a 10-day Panama Canal cruise coming up in December (they're the ones that got me hooked!)and we can't wait.

I was wondering.....do any of you ever get asked: "Where is your husband/wife?" I've gotten it a few times.....my favourite response: "Oh, him? He's dead." It works like a charm :) (btw, no offense intended to widows/widowers)

Archived