Back from 1st Solo Cruise (Long)

LadyV_39

I booked my first Solo cruise a few weeks ago and I was excited about it. After reading this post I am not so sure now. I am a 42 yr old male never married. I am getting the (albiet people are kidding), are you gay question. After hearing it more then a couple times it is a little disturbing for me. I am fairly outgoing I like meeting new people. I don't have a hard time talking to not yet friends. So I thought taking a cruise as a solo was such a bad Idea. plau I hadn't been on one for several years. I finally got tired of asking all my (married, married with kids friends to join me) so i am booked and going in Dec. I can't wait.

I didn't know however that there were so many women solo cruising. I love too dance, karaoke,and share drinks with other people as much as anyone. I just think I will like the freedom of being on my schedule. Doing what I want without worrying about others and there wants and needs for them to have a good time. I know that is a bit selfish but I will be alone on the cruise.

I booked my first Solo cruise a few weeks ago and I was excited about it. After reading this post I am not so sure now. I am a 42 yr old male never married. I am getting the (albiet people are kidding), are you gay question. After hearing it more then a couple times it is a little disturbing for me. I am fairly outgoing I like meeting new people. I don't have a hard time talking to not yet friends. So I thought taking a cruise as a solo was such a bad Idea. plau I hadn't been on one for several years. I finally got tired of asking all my (married, married with kids friends to join me) so i am booked and going in Dec. I can't wait.

I didn't know however that there were so many women solo cruising. I love too dance, karaoke,and share drinks with other people as much as anyone. I just think I will like the freedom of being on my schedule. Doing what I want without worrying about others and there wants and needs for them to have a good time. I know that is a bit selfish but I will be alone on the cruise.

I'm a single female, never married and never once have I heard anyone ask any of the male solo cruisers were they gay.

On my cruise last year (Miracle), at my table there were more solo guy cruisers than women. Their ages varied from early 40's to 80's. They were solo crusing for the same reasons that so many women do. They wanted a vacation that you are able to do what you want to do. Want to stay up all night and greet the sun? Go ahead!! Want to pack your port days with scuba dives? Go ahead. Want to work on that tan on the perfect beach? Go ahead!!

Go on your cruise and have fun!!!

Just got back from my first month long solo cruise on HA. Had the time of my life and met people immediately - actually, the first night. Always....always had someone to hang out with both male and female and have continued contact with several of them. I would strongly encourage solo travelling - even for a month! In fact, I had so much fun I booked another solo cruise over Christmas (Bolero 12/18) and can't wait to meet more people and hear more stories! I found that I was so much more open to new experiences and opportunities travelling solo than when I used to travel with my ex.

A trick? Look at the embarkation pics for people who might be travelling alone.....and find them :-)

• 5 weeks later...

LadyV 39,

Thanks for being so honest. Seems like most posters sort of "sugar coat" traveling alone and act like it's all fun and freedom. But I've traveled solo several times and, although I had fun, it was lonely. And there wasn't anyone to share great moments with.

Once I circled the Opera House in Paris about 3 times before finding the subway entrance (which was in the middle of an intersection). By the time I found it I was in tears. I was scared, tired, and frustrated all at the same time! Luckily I speak pretty good French so I could ask people for help, but I still couldn't seem to find where they were directing me to.

I'd like to take a solo cruise because I love to cruise, but I'm not sure I would want to be alone in such a "couple-intense" place. I'm afraid I'd just sit on the deck all day and stay in my cabin all evening. I can do that for free at home. ;) But maybe I'll try it someday.

I've not found cruises to be especially "couple intense". There are lots of female friends traveling together, as well as female family groups and families in general.

There are lots of activities to participate in - no need to sit by yourself on deck unless that's what you want to do.

Have never questioned the sexual orientation of any male solo passengers. The gay men I've met on cruises were on the ship as part of a couple.

Roz

I was lucky enough to have my first cruise be on Cunard. I've now been on 12 cruises on four different lines, 10 of which I did solo. I find travelling alone by ship to be so much easier (and safer) than land travel. If something happens in port, at least the ship is going to notice that I'm missing right away! I'm also a lot more likely to go to the nightclub late at night knowing I'm just a short stroll from my cabin.

I have stuck primarily with Cunard precisely because of their attitude toward solos (until now). The QE2 has over 120 single occupancy cabins! They are so popular that many solos end up in doubles at the same price as the single in that cabin category. They have several solo traveller get-togethers (not single mingles which are a whole other can of worms) and make an effort to at least pair up solos at dinner if not seat them at a table that is all solos. There are even Gentlemen Hosts available to dance with in the evenings, and at the dancing lessons.

Unfortunately Cunard is retiring the QE2 next year, and the newer ships do not have single cabins. Right now the single supplement is quite high, but hopefully the pressure from all the dedicated solos will force them to reconsider the importance of this niche market.

I have been less comfortable on other lines, and felt like I was expected to explain my soloness a couple times. At my age people assume I'm a widow, and I don't go out of my way to correct the impression as some people seem to think it's more acceptable for a widow to be out in the world alone than a never-married woman. I was the only solo traveller at the get-together on one cruise (though I did get a free drink and the CD made a point of buying me a drink whenever he saw me in a bar). I make friends among the crew and the bartenders always remember me! On every cruise, there is that moment on the first night when you just have to get dressed up, take a deep breath and make an entrance into the dining room (I've been invited to dine at the Captain's table so it must have worked).

Julia

what a great review. I too am single, (widowed) although its been 10 years and have started to get used to it. It gets better with time, a lot of time!!!

My last cruise the repo on the Granduer was my 2nd alone and IT WAS FABULOUS.. all in part to the folks I met on the roll call! Yes it was all couples etc, but I never felt poor me all alone.. I just plodded on and it was a blast. I hooked up with a lot from the CC board for our table and it was wonderful, we had been talking for months so we didn't have that "who are you" experience for the 1st night or two. My 1st solo cruise was supposed to be a "singles" thing.. what a joke, but I got a decent rate and the highlight of that trip for me was sailing up the Mississippi and spending the day (pre hurricane) in New Orleans!~!! I even got lost and ran into some of the crew who helped me find my way back to the ship!!!

My next cruise is solo (Labor Day) and its a spur of the moment cruise, and yes I pay extra for the single room, Holland America still does single share, but its ok. I have booked the next to last cruise on Empress of the Seas before she turns over to Pulliman and am looking forward to that. I found a travel group (thru a girlfriend) and got a great rate on a Jr Suite. Now tha ship (as the Nordic Empress) has some great memories for me and Im looking forward to it!!

Thanks for a great trip report. I doubt that I would go back on a Carnivale, its just not my deal (unless the cruise itinerary was fabulous), How many times can you do eastern/western carribean!! But I do love RCCL.

Have a fun day everyone.. Im late for work!!

K

Hi LadyV

I've recently returned from a cruise to Alaska with 16 of my closest friends. They, however, are all couples. I know what you mean, it is great to have your own space but it sure would be nice to share the great experiences with a loved one. I'm lucky that I traveled with friends but there are certain times that no matter how close we all are, it is still a bit sticky on certain situations and I felt pretty "solo"....I can't say that it hurt my good time though and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I sailed the Celebrity Summit - it was totally AWESOME !!! (I sound like a teenager but am totally not !) I guess we have to do what we have to do in order to live our lives and make the best of our 'singleness'.

Enjoy your next cruise and I hope to book another one real soon!

xx

Many thanks for sharing your cruise experiences. I'm off on a world cruise in January and the concern about 'travelling solo' is the only dark cloud shadowing an otherwise very excited me!

Heaven knows how I'll cope!!! I reassure myself by thinking that if things become too awful, I can get off at any stage and fly home. I'm going on the QV, so there are no reviews available to help me familiarise myself with life on board, etc. I have even wondered whether I've gone and popped myself on the wrong ship :eek:. Anyway, I'll give it my best. Any tips would be appreciated.

I'm 59, female and never married and I have been traveling alone for 40 years. this month is my 4th solo cruise (also 2 with my mom) and I am so looking forward to it. I will take a big stack of mysteries and read, eat, sleep and enjoy myself completely. If I meet some people, good; if I don't, good.

Traveling alone, I don't have to appologize or explain and if I miss a "must see", I can lie and no one will ever know. I can think of a few times it would be great to share, but the advantages outweigh that feeling. (Iwas on the steps of the Lincoln memorial on a cold, crisp November evening and the full moon rose over the Capital dome. A heart-in-throat-postcard event. I just grabbed a few people and a dozen Strangers shared.)

The question is not "will I have fun on a solo cruise?" The question is "do I have fun at home by myself?" If you don't go out to eat, to the movies, to local events by yourself, if you are waiting for someone else to entertain you, you probably will not have a good time.

If I didn't go alone, I never would get anyplace.

Alix

Hi Alix, great post:) I would love to meet you on a cruise

one day:)

Your reply sounds like me;) I always go solo and the pros

are wayyyyy more than the cons:D

Alix, I know what you mean about wanting to share those 'special' moments... I mean, if I should get to see a whale (please God), I'd scream out loud to grab the attention of everyone :rolleyes:... I'm sure my undignified yells will be greatly appreciated on Cunard ;).

Cruising solo will be a new experience for me, although my 2 previous cruises have been with my teenage son... and believe me, it was just like being on my own!!! He went off with kids his own age :D (I only saw him for dining, 2 nights out of 14). I'm in my 40s and a widow, which is weird I guess at my age. It takes some effort for me to adjust to single life again, so I envy those who have had the practice... I am determined to stride forward with a confident spring in my step and enjoy myself :D

Kazzie,

I am sure there have been a few undignified yells on Cunard. I have done 3 cruises with them and I may have even heard one or two. I am a single female in my 40's also. Hopefully we will meet each other on QV. I am just doing the NY to LA portion of the world cruise. I try to just keep telling myself not to worry about what the other cruisers think because you will probably never see them again. If you see a whale or a great sunset or something , please get my attention anyway you can!!;)

The question is not "will I have fun on a solo cruise?" The question is "do I have fun at home by myself?" If you don't go out to eat, to the movies, to local events by yourself, if you are waiting for someone else to entertain you, you probably will not have a good time.

I am 45 and never married & I am one of those people - I never went to the movies, eat, events etc because I was alone - the only place I ever went was the pub and only then if someone else I knew was going - then I got a really good couple of friends who started taking me places - out for meals 2 or 3 times a week, shows etc.

We started to holiday together - in the UK to start with (usually close to home - in fact we would drive further for a day trip than for a holiday) and eventually we went on a cruise together - I loved it, they weren't so keen, :confused: but we fell out soon after anyway. The following year, I persuaded my brother to go with me - he loved it :) but then he went & got engaged & she wasn't keen:(. So the following year, having got the travelling bug I was back to square one - eventually I just thought 'why not' & booked on the ship I had been on the year before!

That was 3 cruises ago - I still don't go out socially alone except to meet friends for a drink - I have times of loneliness on board - I even have the occasional period of 'stop the ship I want to go home' - but the over all experience is just so wonderful , all the 'problems' pale into insignificance.

I go for traditional dining, with a large table and I go on ships excursions (I do have an ongoing campaign of 'getting of the ship' alone which I am not that comfortable with, but did do twice on the June 7 cruise to Norway) - I have a book and puzzle book with me when wandering around on board during the day & just sit in a bar or on deck, read and people watch. Sometimes people talk, sometimes not - and its often that 'is that a whale' thing that starts a conversation LOL.

I am going to Venice next year (one of my 'must do' cruises) - my brother suggested waiting until I had someone special to go with - well if I did that I would probably still be waiting in 20 years:D - its 16 days:eek: , the longest I have done

I would say, if you are happy in your own company and (agree that) if you can entertain yourself IF there is no one else, then go for it.

If I didn't go alone, I never would get anyplace.

Exactly <G>!

Karen

Hi Kazzie

Hope everything went well with the dentist. I have found a good place for whale/dolphin watching on " Vista Class" ships. It is known as the Crow's Nest on the Oosterdam. I believe it's called The Commodore Club on Queen Victoria on Deck 10 all the way foward.

Denise

Great Kazzie,

Also I will take your vote for best bartender:D

Denise

If he has a pulse, I'll be satisfied ;)!!! (I can't believe I just said that... ha... demonstrating a bit of bravado from the safety of my study)

Archived