Gty Assigned - VD 4175 on the Oosterdam

nevarez

My husband and I are heading to Alaska this May. I checked HAL's On-line Boarding page and noticed that instead of GTY for cabin assignment, we actually had a cabin number pop up!! If anyone is familiar with this section of the Oosterdam, as it relates to noise and vibration could you please advise us as to what we can expect? We were on the Oosterdam last year also but had a cabin in the mid-section VB6091 and it was quiet.

Thanks for any advice.

Ana

What day and which ship are you sailing on in May? We also booked a guarantee, but have not gotten a cabin assignment as of yet. I keep checking in HAL's website to see if the "Guar" has changed to a cabin number. We've only done a guarantee one other time which was on NCL. We ended up with a great cabin. We will be on the Oosterdam for the May 12th sailing.

My DH and I are also booked on the May 12th sailing. When we booked last February, the VH and VF categories were GTY only and we couldn't pay much more for a veranda so we took a chance on the VH Gty. The cabin assignement finally popped up last Thursday when I checked HAL's website. I've read several postings where people had no problem with the fourth deck aft area but when I did read a posting from another thread where someone did have a problem, I got concerned. You see, we're going with another couple for whom this is their first cruise and I booked theirs and our cabin at the same time through an internet agency. I thought all we should worry about is having cabins close in proximity which we did end up getting but now I'm worried they'll get no sleep if it's noisy and there's vibration.:(

... so we took a chance on the VH Gty ... but now I'm worried they'll get no sleep if it's noisy and there's vibration.:(
I think you got a great upgrade considering you could have been in one of the small cabins with the steel-wall railings! There, you or the other couple could have a problem with seasickness too.

As far as noise/vibration: have you ever been aware of any strong noise/vibration when you were in the dining room one or two (depending on which level you ate on) decks below? I don't think I would be bothered by the amount that I heard/felt on the lower level of the Noordam dining room.

Does the other couple also have a cabin in this same area? If not maybe you could get HAL to swap you around?

Our friend's cabin is right next to ours. Theirs is the last cabin VD 4177 on deck four and our is second to the last. You are correct in that I was glad that we didn't end up way to the front as I don't plan to take motion sickness meds as I did last year ( I had a patch). I ended up with all the side effects that came with it:( . I've read that the aft section, in comparison, doesn't have as much of the movement. Last year we dined on the Lower Vista Dining Room and only noticed vibration twice but just a short while. Do you think the noise below our cabin, from the Upper Dining room, will be an issue?

I had an aft VA cabin 4181 on the Westerdam (same design as the Oosterdam) all the way at the back of the ship last November and had no problems with noise or vibrations except maybe briefly when the ship was pulling out of port. However in rough seas you could feel a little more movement in the back of the ship. Never heard any noise from the dining room either. I loved the cabin so much I booked the exact same one for this fall. If you can find another available cabin in the same category that you prefer (check any online booking site) you can call HAL and have them switch your cabin. I've done that before with a guaranteed booking on HAL once my cabin was assigned. I don't think its necessary though, I bet you'll love the cabin. Have a great cruise.

Thanks POG27 for those words of comfort! This is my first ever attempt at posting and are thankful for the responses. I'll be praying that the seas are calmer. I've read that there may be some rough seas between Seattle and the entrance to the inside passage but after that it should be better. (I hope):confused:

We were in VD 4169 last year to Alaska on the Westerdam, sister ship to the Oosterdam. We loved the cabin. We had high seas and winds one night. The outside deck was closed because of the winds. Felt some motion that night, but not bad (14 ft. swells). We loved the room. Be aware that on the 4th, cabins above look down on part of your deck.

Do you think the noise below our cabin, from the Upper Dining room, will be an issue?
No! (a) there isn't that much noise there, (b) it's really only used from 5:45p to 10:00p, and © about half of that time you will in the dining room yourself. :)

Also remember that the Oosterdam will be going into Dry Dock to replace that azipod problem for your cruise so there really should be no vibration.

4175 is very close to our favorite cabin 5187 one deck above. I think you will be just fine. Have a fantastic cruise on a wonderful ship:)

We signed up for and guarantee B Verandah on Statendam. Our cruise is May 20. We received our cabin assignment a few months ago. Right now it's still a B Verandah. There's not a bad one in the bunch which is why we thought we'd do the guarantee. If we still get upgraded, that's great. Otherwise, I'm sure we'll be quite happy where we are.

Mark

Yes, we sailed round trip Seattle. That was our first trip to Alaska. We are going back this year, but going one way from Vancouver to Whittier on the Carnival Spirit. Last year we went to Glacier Bay, Juneau, Sitka, Prince Rupert, Victoria. We had a WONDERFUL time! If you are going to any of these ports and have questions, I'd be glad to answer.

I really appreciate all the responses! Less than a month to go! I'm wondering though... do you all think it would be out of line to ask my internet customer service to check and see which dining time we ended up with? Is it too soon since we're not leaving till May 12th and we were a guarantee booking?

... do you all think it would be out of line to ask my internet customer service to check and see which dining time we ended up with? Is it too soon since we're not leaving till May 12th and we were a guarantee booking?

Dining assignments are typically made about a week before the next cruise, so yes, it's too soon for that. Having a guarantee booking for your cabin is separate and apart from your dining assignment. Your cabin assignment is usually made at the 1-2 week before mark, but can be made sooner or later than that.

This thread is the first time I have ever posted. I noticed that other posters are able to place a quote from another poster that they would like to answer or refer to but I'm not sure how to do that. When I'm posting a reply, there's an area/box under the word "Title:". Is that where I would place the quote? :confused:

I noticed that other posters are able to place a quote from another poster that they would like to answer or refer to but I'm not sure how to do that.

Glance down to the lower right side of this box and you will see a blue oval with the word "quote" in it. When you click on that you get a reply box that has the post in it. You can then delete those parts that don't pertain to what you want to say, and post below the ending: "

".

Glance down to the lower right side of this box and you will see a blue oval with the word "quote" in it. When you click on that you get a reply box that has the post in it. You can then delete those parts that don't pertain to what you want to say, and post below the ending: "
".

Thanks so much RuthC !!:)

• 2 weeks later...

My Mother and I are booked for the 19th and are still awaiting our VH Guaranty assignment. When I booked about 3 weeks ago, the earllier dining times were already waitlisted. Can someone respond to a questions about speical diets. Mother is highly gluten intolerant and while she can avoid what she can see, I am worried about what ingredients may be included that we have no way to find out. The TA said she informed the ship. Is there some way to check that that information is actually in our files? Thanks.

My Mother and I are booked for the 19th and are still awaiting our VH Guaranty assignment. When I booked about 3 weeks ago, the earllier dining times were already waitlisted. Can someone respond to a questions about speical diets. Mother is highly gluten intolerant and while she can avoid what she can see, I am worried about what ingredients may be included that we have no way to find out. The TA said she informed the ship. Is there some way to check that that information is actually in our files? Thanks.

On page 123 ( top left ) of the HAL Alaska & the Yukon 2007 brochure, it says that if advised at least 90 days prior to sailing, special dietary requests ( like glutten-free food) can be pre-ordered. You may want to contact HAL yourself also just to be sure.

Archived