Does RCI do towel animals or other special things?

We have been on 2 cruise with 2 other cruise lines. Our first with RCI on AOS is booked for Jan. 2008. Surprisingly enough, Princess did not do towel animals in our cabins :( . NCL did towel animals, fruit carvings, chocolate buffet, ice sculptures etc. We really loved the service on Princess but missed the special little things. Hoping RCI will come through on this for us??

Towel animals are one of the few things that gets me back to the cabin quicker. I love to find out what animal we get each night. Be sure to take an extra pair of sunglasses to leave in the cabin and they will use them on the towel animal.

The fruit carvings are every day on the buffet and like Madkitty said you have to see the midnight buffet (bring your camera).

Happy Sailing

Well, we had a new cabin steward/attendant/whatever they are called, and for the first 4 days, if memory serves, we had no towel animals. In the grand scheme of things was this a big deal? No. But were my expectations rather smashed? Yes. It really bummed me out. :(

Last 3 days, though, he had them, and it was after a conversation where we found out he was rather new. I *think* we mentioned the towel animals, or we saw another cabin attendant with them, I don't recall, but *something* spurred him to mention he was new, and then he started to make them.

From the smiles it caused me, I really would rather have them every day, even though they are just a silly little thing that shouldn't make a whit of difference...(but they did).

So if you don't get them, maybe mention something to the person in charge of your room, b/c they really are fun. :)

We have been on 2 cruise with 2 other cruise lines. Our first with RCI on AOS is booked for Jan. 2008. Surprisingly enough, Princess did not do towel animals in our cabins :( . NCL did towel animals, fruit carvings, chocolate buffet, ice sculptures etc. We really loved the service on Princess but missed the special little things. Hoping RCI will come through on this for us??

We just got off the Jewel on an 8-nighter two weeks ago. We did not have animals the first two nights but did the rest of the cruise. Now, if you wanted to compare towel animals, I found the animals made on our Carnival cruise last year to be MUCH more creative and better looking.

The towel animals were one of the highlights of my 12 yr old niece's cruise. Each day she looked forward to them.

In fact, our first animal, a rabbit, was so intriguing that she and her 13 yr old brother decided to try making them. (There went all the towels in our cabin.)

I told them not to take our real rabbit apart, well needless to say, before they finished, the rabbit was in pieces. So, I mentioned to our suite attendant what they had done, and he gave them their own personal towel folding lesson the next morning. They loved it, and you couldn't hardly tell their towel animals from Clifford's!

Then they moved into a new phase of rabbit towel animals, using only washcloths, which made baby rabbits.

If there was a towel shortage on the ship that week, it's because they were all in our cabin.

And...Clifford left all towel rabbits in our cabin the entire week. He would move them to turn down our beds, and then put them back on the beds the next morning after making up our room.

Here's a pic of my little towel folders with their finished product (and Clifford's--his is the lighter colored rabbit)...(if you're new, if you click on the image it will get bigger):

IMG_3689a.jpg.606fab80e464abf7a41bf29315369bce.jpg

We have had towel animals on all our RCI cruises. Sometimes, it takes a few days before one appears, and others are waiting for us the first night. I've found that to be a good indicator of how organized the steward is. ;) Once one appears, we then speak to our steward to express our appreciation, and then ask them to not bother with any more and use that time to take a break instead. Although they are cute, they really aren't going to make or break our cruise experience.

I think every line does towel animals but not always every night and not all cabin stewards. I can't remember (20 plus cruises) sailing on a ship that didn't do them at least a few times. Oh, I take that back, the old Commodore didn't do them and one RCI cruise we were on only did one. Still they did that. We love to come into our cabin late in the evening and see what animal has taken over our bed or cabin, but this doesn't make or break our cruise and would never influence our decision as to what line to choose. NMnita

just got off of the fos april 1st. on the last day they had a towel folding class. the grand daughter and grandson are now folding anything that is not bolted down. the towels are one of the high light of the cruies. plus everthing else. looking for next years cruies :D

On the transatlantic on the Brilliance last fall I had towel animals some nights and not others. I don't know why that was.

There was also a towel animal class on one of the days crossing the Atlantic.

Like others I really miss the little darlings when I don't get them.

I have cruised RCCL, HAL and Carnival and had towel animals on all of them. And I take pictures of every one of them (if I was any good at it I would post some of them for you.)

The quality of the towel animals I think is dependent on the ability of the individual stewards. My best ones were on Sovereign of the Seas and Carnival Conquest. The Conquest had a steward that did fantastic ones including a wonderful monkey hanging from the ceiling. My first HAL cruise had pretty good ones too but my most recent one led me to think my steward was a beginner-I wasn't sure because the language barrier made it hard to chat but his were pretty basic and not the best but hey I love seeing them when I get back in the room at night. I think the stewards themselves are the greatest. They are one of the best things about cruising. On my first cruise we had three adult women in a small inside cabin. On formal night you can imagine what the cabin looked like after we got dressed. When we arrived back later that night the cabin and bathroom were spotless, beds turned down, lights on low and a darling elephant wearing my sunglasses was waiting on the bed. The man was a saint!

St. Louis Sal

DH and I were on the Serenade in Feb. On our Princess cruise last year we were lucky if there were towels let alone towel animals.:rolleyes:

Our cabin steward on Serenade was Maria and every night she treated us to the most amazing towel animals which we laughed about and saved on the chair, lining them up night after night. On our last sea day we were on the balcony with 4 friends when she came in to clean, we told her that she could stay with her helper and clean up. She was appreciative as she didn't want to bother us while we were there. Such a thoughtful girl!

We were all watching the islands as we sailed by when I turned and noticed that Maria was taking a very long time with the bed. All 6 of us stood with our noses pressed against the balcony door watching as Maria set up all of the towel animals on the bed. When we turned to watch she was in the middle of putting a deck of cards in the hands/hoofs/mouths of the towel animals and told us to let her know later that night which one had won the poker game. We laughed so hard we cried. When we met up with her that night she remembered and asked how the game went, DH told her the Rabbit cheated:p

My DH & I went on Sovereign of the Seas in Aug 2006. We were amazed at all the decorated fruits & veggies. The towel animals were cool, exciting to see which one would be in your room each night! The monkey did startle me a little when I first opened the door. They did a towel demo on our day at sea, so you were able to see how the animals are made, really neat! The Chocolate Buffet, one word for you YUM! It was the only midnight buffet my husband and I stayed up for. Hope the link below works, I uploaded some pictures from our trip

http://travel.webshots.com/album/558621677ngVQrd

that animals be made every night for our 4-YO who is staying in a PR room with Grandma and they skip doing them for our room? Someone mentioned asking for one and then skipping the rest to give the attendant a little extra time "off" and while that is fine for us, I'd really like them for my son.

How will we know if our attendant is the same as theirs in order to make that request? (We are 7620, they are 7627)

Warning!

Do NOT go over to the CC Princess boards and ask if Princess cabin stewards do towel animals!

The posters over there think that RC and RC cruisers are utterly infantile for going ga-ga over towel animals. To read their posts, you would think that wanting towel animals is the first sign of moral depravity and the downward spiral of civilization as we know it.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The posters over there think that RC and RC cruisers are utterly infantile for going ga-ga over towel animals. To read their posts, you would think that wanting towel animals is the first sign of moral depravity and the downward spiral of civilization as we know it.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Except ye become.. as little children. ;)

as a 1st timer and the only ones in our family that havent cruised before all we have heard for the past 28 (well for me) years is about how fun it is to come in and see how creative the steward was with the towels. While I will enjoy seeing them I cant wait to see my daughters face when she sees them (hopefully she does)

We went on our first cruise and we had towel animals. I was surprised by them, didn't know about them. Also it was just my husband and I, no kids, so I don't see why they not do all the rooms. When you get into your room, there is a book that has your room attendant's name and you can call him, they are usually easy to track down when you need something.

On one RCCL cruise, our cabin person stuffed some of our clothes and made a person that looked real. In our group some had the figures laying on the bed watching TV, another sitting on the coach, the best and one that really surprised on was stting on the toilet! It was so funny and made some great photos. We haven't seen this done since. It was a BLAST!

PS The best towel animal we had was a monkey hanging up and swinging, but the funnest part is he had on my husband's sexy underwear!

Archived