Need Help from Experienced Princess Cruisers

shipmatesasds

Please don't bash me just yet, I am a NCL cruiser (due to their "Freestyle Crusing") and getting a little discouraged with their changes or cutting back in service and just heard that Princess offers "Anytime Dining" is this true and if so, has anyone have any comments or experiences with this style of dining? Also, has anyone taken a cruise out of NYC? Also I was told Princess does not have priviate balconies due to graduated deck plans, is this also fact or ficton. Thanks for any info. I hope to be booking soon.:)

Yes, Princess has anytime dining - but I am a traditionalist, and opt for lst sitting fixed table.

Most of the Princess ships have "tiered" balconies - but if you really like privacy, look into the Sun class ships. They have "hull cut" balconies.

Yes, there is anytime dining for dinner- go when you please within the designated hours. I have never had trouble getting a table, but I have always been willing to share. Others have had to wait for a table at times.

So your milage may vary. I prefer Princess for the anytime dining. There are two excellent other restaurants for which there is a surcharge, and reservations are required.

There are indeed balconies ~ some are covered some are partially covered.

Check out the deck plans for the Crown.

We have had traditional and anytime on Princess. We like the anytime dining and have never had to wait more than 10 minutes to be seated. We typically like to eat between 6-7 so that we can enjoy the shows and stuff.

We have had aft, baja and aloha cabins and they have all been very private. Our upcoming cruise we have a caribe balcony and it will be only partially covered, but much deeper than the baja or aloha. We like the larger balcony (aft) and the partial privacy is okay with us.

Our cruise in May will be our first trip out of NY. I am very excited about it.

I have heard good and bad.

Hope that helps -

One thing you should be aware of with Anytime Dining on Princess is that you are asked to maintain the "dress suggestions" for the evening in all dining rooms (the exception is the Horizon Court Buffet). On a 7 night cruise that means that you would be asked to dress "Smart Casual" on 5 nights and "Formal" on 2 nights.

We prefer the Anytime Dining option and have never really had a long wait to get a table. Short wait yes, long (more than 15 minutes) no. We generally say we will take whatever type of table comes up first-table for 2 or share with others.

You can make reservations with the anytime dining program too. If I know which nights are formal night - for example - I will call as soon as I get on board to make reservations for those nights for the dining room or one of the specialty restaurants. For nights when you don't have reservations and there is a wait, they will give you a vibrating pager - same as Claim Jumpers or similiar restaurant.

We love Anytime Dining, one of the main reasons we are Princess fans. As for balconies, we've found to stay away from the Dolphin deck, those deck on most ships are totally uncovered which we do not prefer. Not for the privacy thing, but we like have some shade on our balcony as well as protect us in case it's raining. We spend tons of time on our balcony, why have one if it's not used.

Mary

We love the Anytime Dining too. Like others have said, it is somewhat different from NCL, you do have to dress for the evening just like for Traditional dining. We never really had to wait and we did request a table for 2 all the time. Have a great cruise.

SHIPMATESASDA,

Also, if you are looking at the Crown Princess, the cabins and storage space tend to be larger than on NCL ships. Plus, there are so many more options for food then on the NCL ships in general. There is the International Food Court and the freshly baked chocolate chip cookies that will soon be fleetwide where most of the food items are free. There are the 2 buffet areas, also free and 2 Anytime Dining Rooms and the traditional dining room, plus the service charge speciality restaurants.

The production shows are better with expensive costumes. There is MUTS (movies under the stars -- free) and lots of other entertainment throughout the ship. Don't forget the atrium area that is designed as a piazza with all types of performances throughout the day and night.

The food service is better, the food choices are better, the food preparation is better, etc. General service is better overall.

Having sailed on many NCL ships both pre and current free style, I would choose Princess any day over NCL. Just no comparison.

Free style is like camping out. Princess is a vacation.

If you do not want to dress for formal nights, you can go to the buffet areas. NCL is just way too casual with some passengers wearing jeans, shorts and T-shirts the entire cruise.

MARAPRINCE

We've sailed on NCL and one of the reasons we chose Princess was because we loved the Freestyle Dining on NCL. We were very pleased with the Crown and the Anytime Dining.

The balconies are great on Princess - choose either the Aloha, Baja or Caribe deck. The first two are totally covered above and the Caribe is a bigger deck and half covered. But it has lounge chairs!

We too have sailed NCL (our last cruise actually was on the Sun in March) and prefer Princess. All aspects of the experience is better IMHO, and the food is much better, even though the food on NCL is good.

You will be a happy NCL'er as we have been on Princess, I promise.

Archived