Any ideas regarding car seats and cruises?

jaysue

We used the Ridesafer for our cruise last week. It was very easy. We put the vest on our three year old as we were leaving the ship so that we could easily grab a taxi at the curb. Our three year old thought the vest was cool. When were were not in the cab, it fit easily into the backpack we carried on shore. We found seatbelts in all of the cabs in all of the places we took cabs (Ft. Lauderdale, San Juan, St. Maarten, Antigua, & St. Thomas). The only problem we had is a cab driver in St. Thomas decided to stuff his van from Magen's bay and insisted that I "put the baby on the lap." When I refused and insisted that my three year old get his own seatbelt, the cab driver made me "put the baby on the lap or get out." Needless to say we choose to get out and grab the next cab.

The other problem was from the port in Ft. Lauderdale where the minivan cabbie decided he wanted to put luggage on the third seat because it was easier for him and wanted me to put my three year old on my lap. Only after I pulled my entire family out of the minivan and started pulling suitcases from the cab did he relent and put the suitcases in the back.

So, I found no problem getting seat belts, but sometimes it did take having to get another cab and standing my ground to make sure I got them.

Last year before we discovered the Ridesafer we used a car seat. Ridesafer was much, much, much easier. Our steward stored the car seat for us when we wanted him to. We had no need to do this with the Ridesafer.

• 8 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi all, travelling from Toronto to Florida and doing a 10 night land trip - Orlando, Vero Beach and Ft Lauderdale (we will have a rental car for this portion of the trip) and then taking transportation (TBD) from parents condo in Ft Lauderdale (Commercial and US1) to Port of Miami and then after disembarking, transportation (TBD) to MIA airport for flight back home.

We are trying to figure out strategy for car seats and we our clueless re the cruise portion - can we have them stored on the ship in luggage storage? Any other ideas?

Should we rent the car seats in Orlando and then drop them off with the car rental at Ft Lauderdale airport - if we do this then any ideas on transportation arrangements (kid friendly for example) from Ft Lauderdale to Port of Miami that have booster seats (kids will be 8 and 4)?

We are concerned about safety issues and want to make sure we make safe choices for our family where possible

Any ideas would be most appreciated

Thanks in advance

Jason & Susan

I just saw this in parents magazine. Dont know if it will help your situation. But it is a great idea for a cheap portable booster for traveling. http://www.mifold.com

You can buy cheap travel seats for kids, we use them on holiday. They are a lot smaller and lighter then the regular car seats. You buy them to suit the weight of your child. seat belt of car fits over them and holds child in place. They are small enough to fit in standard suit case so when on ship put them in empty suit case and store under bed. I have seen them for sale on amazon, do search for child travel seat. I hope this helps. I would also recommend seat belt strap cover as this would be over child's chest.

I just saw this in parents magazine. Dont know if it will help your situation. But it is a great idea for a cheap portable booster for traveling. http://www.mifold.com

The mifold is a fantastic idea but it hasn't passed testing yet and isn't available.

If a child is old enough for a backless booster then the bubble bum can be a good one to travel with.

Otherwise good lightweight travel seats are the Cosco Scenera Next for a rear facing child and the Evenflo Sureride for either forward or rear facing.

The Graco turbobooster can be good for a child who needs a highback booster still because the top can be removed so you can take the backless booster on the plane and still have *something* if your luggage is lost or damaged.

I know this is a zombie thread, but I can't resist commenting because I love the look of this mifold! If they pass testing and become generally available, I will definitely buy one.

For anyone who finds this thread because they are looking for a car seat recommendation, I have been using the Ride Safer Travel Vest for travel and taxis for almost 2 years and it is great for kids over 3 and over 30 pounds.