First time cruisers...so many questions!

stane

I think I originally posted on the wrong board...I'm new to this whole board thing. If you see my question twice...sorry!

My boyfriend and I are first time cruisers and are feeling a little overwhelmed about all the options, decisions, and rules associated with cruising. Even scanning this board has made me think about things I had never even considered (people being upset if we don't go to dinner and don't tell them beforehand, etc...) I'm wondering if anyone can point me in a good direction as to how to figure out how to go about this whole thing. Are there books? Should we go to a travel agent? We've ordered brochures from the lines we are interested in, but they all seem so nice it's hard to make any real decisions. We are both super excited about this adventure and can't wait to go...hopefully in January of 2005. I'm just trying to find a way to make it a little more manageable. Please help!

So ya wanna cruise huh? Its an addicting kind of sport for some people.

The more you read the more you will learn. I dont think people are telling you they will get upset if you dont go to dinner. It is rude jsut not to show up. WHat we do it tell the people if we are not here within 15 minutes of the seating we wont be coming. You would be surprised at the people that will come to dinner at 7:00 for a 5:45 seating. What you are reading here are just simple etiquette and common sense. You cant show up at the dining room whenever you want--there are set times. (you can always chose the buffet or room serivce...or any other options coz food is always available.

When I first came here-I too was overwelmed at all the information. I too ka few weeks jsut to read a lot of the postings before I started asking my questions. Once you read you kind of figure out the whats what.

Good that you got brochures but first figure out where ya want to go. Then see what ships go there. See how much airfare costs to get you there. You may be surprised on how expensive air fare is to get to some ports. Keep it narrowing it down until you have some final choices.

As far as a cruise...it beats any day working

Welcome, welcome, welcome to these boards. There are a lot of wonderful people here with tons of ideas and opinions. As a starter, I would pick-up brochures and then access numerous web sites. Find a TA and you'll be on your way to the most addicting vaca in the world - cruising!!! ;) ;) ;)

Stane: Once you decide on what cruise line you pick, then go to the appropriate line message board and start reading everything. There is also a ports of call board on this site. That is a major help. If you have any questions feel free to come on and we will try to answer them for you. Pick a good TA and if you are uncomortable doing your own air let them do it. The main thing is cruising is fun and we have all been there as new cruisers so we will try to make an enjoyable one for you.

Marilyn:D

I am a first time cruiser too. I booked my cruise before I ever found the message board, so you are way ahead of me! But I am always learning something on here, that will help me now and in the future! Like when I read your questions I found Wieslaw's link and I have never seen that before, but it sure was informative. Long though, I haven't finished looking at it, but it was the first place I read that you should plan to be bored and hot during the muster drill and someone always gets injured during the muster drill!!! Try to find a travel agent that will check the price of the cruise you book and will give you a credit if the price falls. You can check on your own, but wouldn't it be nice to have them doing it for you? You may have to go to another message board to get this info., as it is not allowed to be discussed on this one!

Stane-

We somehow managed to go on our first cruise knowing absolutely NOTHING! I contacted a TA,(I would recommend you use a TA, at least for your 1st cruise), said we wanted to go on a cruise, gave her a dollar amount we were willing to spend. I didn't know what room, deck, ship, dining options, clothing,excursions,etc.

We had a fantastic time! Now that I research everything, I wonder how we did it. Don't fret too much, cruising is really pretty easy, some of us just like discussing every aspect of it.

The one thing I wished I had known was I didn't have to take the ship's excursions, use the Ports of Call boards to get some good ideas- you will save lots of money!

Welcome to the wonderful world of cruising.

I would highly recommend a good travel agent who specializes in cruises. Yes, its very overwhelming, sometimes even for us veterans. But its truly a wonderful vacation.

Please let us know which cruise you decide on, any cruise you choose will be great.

Hi. Welcome to cruising. As above recommend a TA for first cruise. Ask friends who they used and if they had problems. Ask mom and dad for their recommendations for TA (parents love giving advise). :D

When you go to TA think about some of the questions you have, like how many formal night on this cruise? We like water sports, or history or just laid back. Do you like to party or would you perfer service and refinement. What is your budget for the cruise (Go on various web site and order cruise up to point of Credit card then stop). Go to Expedia and pertend to book a flight, again up to cedit card and see the cost. You can pick flights to various locals and see which fits your budget or drive to port.

One suggestion is to go one day early so that you can relax before your cruise. You can book a cheap hotel on priceline and stay in a 3 star. Go to Biddingfun.com and read how to book hotels on priceline. What they are going for as while as what area to bid. :)

Try figuring out what you don't want; that can eliminate some of the choices. If you don't want to fly or if you prefer to leave from a particular place, that will narrow the choices.

For instance, I have no real interest in the Western Caribbean, I've also been to Jamaica & have no burning desire to go back. While I wouldn't mind going ice skating, I don't need a ship w/ an ice rink. I'm looking forward to doing a cruise on HAL in about 10-15 years but not now.

Price is a factor. I'm sure I'd love the high end lines -- saw an ad the other day 30 nights to the Orient, $10,550 pp. Now if only I had 30 days off in a row & that kind of money. :( So you can eliminate all the stuff you can't afford or don't have time to do.

Some web sites let you do side by side comparisons of different cruises. That may help.

Remember, it's not like you can really make a wrong choice. Some lines & itineraries fit better w/ some people but a cruise will be what you make of it.

Enjoy!

Wow!! I am totally impressed. I just posted last night and already so much helpful information (not to mention nice people!) I was leaning toward the travel agent route, and it sounds like that is the way to go - at least for our first cruise. I plan to just keep checking out these boards, and as suggested will ask questions if I can't figure something out after searching. Again, thanks for all the supportive suggestions. I am so excited - hearing all you talk about cruising makes it seem all that more fun!:)

One more suggestion. Usually cruise line airfare can be very high and usually you can book your own air and save lots of $$. IF you do this, please fly a day ahead to your port of embarkation and do not book a return flight home before 12 noon, chances are you may not make that flight before noon. But flying to your destination enables you to start your vacation a day ahead and boarding the ship nicely rested.

I have used priceline for hotels in the Ft. Lauderdale area and saved lots of $$ this way as well. If this is what you choose to do, before bidding on priceline, please understand how it works. You bid on hotel rooms, if your bid is accepted, your charge card is charged immediately, you cannot cancel, change or put the reservation in anyone else's name. You do not have a choice of hotels, its whichever hotel accepts your bid. Yes, its a gamble, but I made out very well. I bid for a 3* hotel in downtown Ft. Lauderdale area and received the Marriott Hotel and Marina for $52 per night. Its a great property. Here are two helpful web sites that will explain things, please read it before bidding on priceline, if you want to give it a try: http://www.biddingforfun.com and biddingfortravel.com good luck.

Archived