Alaskan souvenirs

jmelnick

22 Creek Street in Ketchikan has some great masks. They are made out of drift wood I would say with knot holes for the noses. Quite unique. And they have other Alaska type gifts. Besides that, Creek Street and a wonderful stroll and great shops.

Last year we bought Ulu knives and totem poles as our souvenirs. The Ulu knives are great for the cooks on your gift list. If you get one I would suggest getting it with the wood cutting bowl and a carved handle, they are very nice.

Dried moose nuggets that are made into jewlery and stuff. My buddy really liked the swizzle sticks.

I'm sure that I am reading that wrong. They don't actually make dried moose nuggets into swizzle sticks, do they?

I got a necklace and ring that are white quartz with fine veins of gold running through them. I thought that was unique and very pretty.

Ulu knives and totem poles are everywhere. Salmon (dried, canned, jerky, smoked, you name it!) is also everywhere. We found some very nice moose-antler carvings, but they were rather expensive. My husband found a tee-shirt with "I touched the big pipe" and a picture of the Alyseka pipeline on it. I remember seeing paper-weights that had about a teaspool of genuine Alaska oil at the Alyseka pipeline gift shop/visitor center outside Fairbanks. I still can't believe that the pipeline is worthy of a gift shop!

The above posters had some great ideas but having been to Alaska before I now look for xmas ornaments for each stop we make. They are a very lasting memory of the trip. Most of the stops have xmas stores and there is alot to choose from. And the ornaments last for years and years.

marilyn

I collect thimbles, so when I saw a thimble with a real gold nugget on top, that's what I had to get.

I also got my granddaughter an eskimo doll with the made in Alaska tag

and small totem poles for co-workers and family.

I felt the ulu knives were too expensive to buy for lots of folks.

So many ppl suggest the Ulu knives.

Can I ask why? What do you do with them? Do they just sit on a shelf when you get home or do you use them?

I want one to use for chopping fresh herbs and garlic! But if I find the carved ones, they may be great for display.

Can I ask why? What do you do with them? Do they just sit on a shelf when you get home or do you use them?

They are great for cutting just about anything. I do alot of cooking and the ulu knives we have are great for cutting vegetables, herbs and meats.

I use mine costantly, and at $30 or so for the set, I see no great expense for a wonderful kitchen tool. You have to take a little time to get used to one, but once you do, they're invaluable, my opinion.

I use mine for everything from vegetable chopping and chunking ham and chicken for sandwich spread.

If you have a dog there is some great salmon dog treats. A friends dog absolutely goes crazy over them and any of us sailing to Alaska always purchase a supply for her.

Doug

I was just telling the girls that you were returning to Alaska this year. They wanted to know if they should send their allowance money to you :)

we like to buy artwork that is locally made from wherever we go to. Any suggestions for places to look in Juneau, ketchikam, skagway and victoria?? also in seattle too-but fairly close to port???????

The last time we were in Juneau we did find an art cooperative that displayed local's artists and I found an amazing picture!!!!!!!

Thanks.

Moose nuggets the real deal.

http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?S=5910705

http://akgift.com/alaskagift//inner_1.php/cPath/53_87?osCsid=6198a6fb8f1791d9f512a48609a9aa69

Russian dolls, not Alaskan. Make sure it has the MADE IN ALASKA sticker on it. Or you'll end up with a cheap rubber totem pole made in china.

Archived