QM2 Balconies on April Crossings

wesp

How was weather on the balconies on the April crossings? Several reviews noted overcast gray days. Just wondering if it was too chilly to sit outside? Any comments on hull vs. traditional balcony cabins are welcome. Likewise those atrium view cabins.

Thanks.

Wesley

Galaxy April 2002

Norway August 2001

Independence April 1999

Delta Queen April 1996

Hi, On the Apr. 16th crossing the balconies were unusable for the first four days. Not just chilly but downright dangerous. We were told at breakfast by one couple that they heard a crash during the night and when they got up in the morning the connecting door from their balcony to the next was missing.

While on her balcony, Cindy Adams lost her wiglet during the April 16 westbound crossing... the wind ripped it right off her prunish head where it had been clipped to the white fuzz remmants of her real hair.

Yeeech! What a sight that must've been!

Michael

NYC icon_smile.gif

I lovedmy balcony on the April 25th eastbound crossing and spent a lot of time there -- especially late at night just relaxing before going to sleep. At no time did it feel either too dangerous or too cold to use -- but I like blustery weather and had the warm clothes for it too. I also like hanging out in my cabin, so having the balcony very worthwhile for me.

I had a glass balcony, but I agree with the comments others have made that the hull balconies are likely just as good for an Atlantic crossing given their added protection.

I also saw one of the lifeboat obstructed glass balcony cabins on 8 deck and was surprised to find that they are not nearly as bad as I'd imagined. I had expected almost the entire view to be blocked, but only about 2/3 - 3/4 is, and not in an 'annoying' way either. I'm not trying to downplay the obstruction -- just saying that you can still have a nice balcony experience there too.

Crouton

My daughter and I had a hull balcony for the Caribbean cruise in March and thoroughly enjoyed it. I am a smoker and she is not and I was able to keep the smoke from permeating her clothes as I went on the balcony to smoke.

We had an atrium cabin on the westbound crossing on May 1 and it was an experience but I doubt if we would go for one again. Just felt too small even though all cabins are "supposed" to be the same square footage (except the suites, of course).

eatsall,

Originally I booked an atrium room for my June 5th crossing. Changed it to a B6 hull balcony on 4 deck, because I felt the balcony would be important... you know your own space... The balcony rooms at 248 sf are larger than the inside/outside categories. I think those are around 175 sf.

Hull balcony seemed like the right choice for a crossing.

Vince

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;6;5;18;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

June 5th - Queen Mary 2 Westbound Transatlantic

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

November 22nd - Sun Princess 10 night Eastern Caribbean

Do remember that in selecting balconies for potential rough weather, you want to be high enough not to get much water spray but not so high as to be affected by the ship's rolling and rocking. The higher you are, the rougher the seas will seem because the ship movement can be felt more. Midlevel and midship would be the most comfortable if you are prone to seasickness.

vince_g, I "think" we have read all the main cabins (not suites) are 194 square feet--when they show the square footage of the balcony cabins, believe they are including the balcony?

Our hull balcony was "about" 6 feet X 9 feet (54 square feet) so 194 plus 54 equals 248 square feet?

Anyway, think you should be happy with your hull balcony on your crossing.

eatsall,

Thanks for that info. on the stateroom size. The countdown has started... heading over to London on the first and sailing back on the 5th.

Happy cruising!

Vince

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;6;5;18;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

June 5th - Queen Mary 2 Westbound Transatlantic

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

November 22nd - Sun Princess 10 night Eastern Caribbean

We had an obstructed view deck eight glass balcony for the April 25th crossing and a deck five hull balcony for May 1st crossing.

I have to say I prefered my deck eight glass balcony as there was more sunlight than the rather dark hull balcony. (The glass balcony cabins have a window on either side of the door , which is centered.(The whole wall is glass) The hull balcony cabin had one window to the right of the door, with solid wall panels on either side. (The deck eight cabin was much sunnier)

Archived