Need help from fellow Canadians!

Payd

I really could use some information from my fellow Canadians. Although this isn't related to our next cruise - it is all about our next vacation.

We are having issues getting passports for our children (my husband and I have them already). And would like to hear about your recent experiences. I'll try to keep it short.

On Feb 1, I called Passport Canada to find out when I should arrive at the Edmonton office to drop off passports. Was advised not to (told to arrive at 5:30 am, doors to Canada Place open at 5:45 am, but no guarantee to see an agent by 4:15 closing). Was told to see Member of Parliament. Stopped at MP's office that afternoon in an effort to expidite (sp?) and sent via registered mail. Receipt in Hull was Feb 5.

Still no word other than that our documents have been opened.

We leave on May 2 for Florida for what is likely our last family trip to Disney World...this situation is taking away from the magic.:(

Our MP's office is now looking into having the file transfered to Edmonton or having us apply for emergency passports. I knew to expect delays but we have watched approx 45 business days go by and allowed for more than 60. :mad:

What have you done to deal with this. We would really appreciate any advice you may provide.

Payd:)

Sorry for your ordeal. It sounds like you have thought of every avenue. My sister just told me at Easter that she just applied for her childrens passports and they arrived in three weeks. That was in Ontario though.

My fingers are crossed for you!

Definitely call Hull/Ottawa! Find someone to talk to cuz this is surely taking too long - we also got our kids passports - applied in December - and got them by end of January - this seems way too long!

Good luck!

Froufie

Hi Payd:

Lethbridge here! We experienced a delay with our processing in January (insufficient ID) and were lucky enough to receive a phone call from someone in the passport office requesting additional copies, and were able to correspond by fax. FYI, we mailed applications to Gatineau, but I believe processing was done in St. Catharines.

Here is the FAX NUMBER: (905) 988-4118

I would recommend that you fax a letter marked URGENT, and see if someone on the other end can help you.

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks so much for your help...and your prayers.

I will hold the faith and use the fax number (thanks Prairie Girl).

My fingers ache from being crossed.

Have any of you heard of MP's coming through on expiditing passports? Ours has been involved since Feb and it doesn't seem to be helping.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your replies.

Payd:)

:( Well I got news from the MP's office today.

and it doesn't look good.

The passports are still in the review stage, not even gone to printing which is showing a 4-5 day backlog.

The MP's office is considering a file transfer (reported at 70% success rate), or an urgent case.

This is where is gets awful...an urgent case would require a new application - new birth certificates (originals are sitting in Hull) - new pictures - astronomical fee for urgent processing - and finally two trips to a Passport Canada office (2.5-3 hours away).

I just don't know what to do...

Payd:(

write to the passport office include a copy of your bought vacation dates etc explaining your need for passports asap

they may charge you a rush fee

it took me less then 2 weeks in montreal and once you are in the office before 4pm they have to process your request

Hi there. I know exactly how you feel. 3 years ago I applied for my Canadian Passport ( I am living in California). We were cruising to Alaska in June and I applied in February. After several call to the Hull office and getting so many different answers and only a week to go, I decided to call the Canadian Consulate and gave them all the information. They said that I would hear from them...Well the next day by Federal express was my passport. I cried!!! I had to leave a message on the Consulates voice mail and explain the situation and they called me back with a day....This is what I'd do if I was in your case. The Hull office gave me the run around and told me it was in the send box and then I'd caLL the next week and be told it's in the processing stage and this went back and forth until I called the Consulate!!!

I'm from Montreal Quebec, and want to do the same for my 3 kids for our upcoming cruise in AUGUST 2008, and someone close to me that work for the gouvernement of Canada told me that now the delay is up to 12 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I hope that you'll have your kids passports in time....:rolleyes:

Thanks again for your replies.

I have sent a fax, continue to work with the MP's office, checking to see if the consulate can help, and in the meantime I'm still stressing.

Frenchsnowhite - Passport Canada's website is still showing 10 weeks and ours were in 12 weeks before travel date. If you need them for August - send them in now or better yet apply in person now.

I have been trying the 1800 line for Passport Canada all morning trying to learn more specific information about the status and have gotten a busy signal on the main line - or if I get through that and to the check status line it tells me there are too many callers in line and to call later.

Not normally superstitious but to get such bad news on Friday the 13th.

Yikes:eek:

Hockeylover,

Still need passports even when driving.

No! We are doing this next week. Flying out of the US in order to avoid the need for passports. We have checked with every involved party: Carnival, US Ariways, Customs, Mexican Consulate etc...

If you drive through the border and fly from US state to US state you do not need a passport!

Are you serious! I didn't know that. I was told that passports were needed. I know that driving to Mexico you need a passport I thought that it was Canada too. I stand corrected!!!

Passports are not required for land travel only (air/sea requires a passport leaving from a Cdn destinaton..) if you have the option to drive and fly from/return to a US airport you will be fine.

Originally passports were required for ALL cross border travel - but since then restrictions have been 'lightened' for children - if NOT travelling by air - eg. driving thru border crossings between US/Canada. I believe this is only temporary however and will eventually be changed back.

Froufie

Is there any way possible you could drive to the states and fly out there?

Well it would be possible but costly considering we have purchased four round trip tickets already - Calgary-Orlando.

Who would have guessed that allowing three times the standard wait time wouldn't be enough?

Passport requirements for land and sea travel border crossing will be in effect Jan of 2009. The initial plan of the US government was to have all crossings require passports by Jan of 2007 but the Canadian government refused to accomodate this stating it was unreasonable and that they would see a massive uproar and backlog of the passport offices (Like that didn't happen though!)

Imagine how much longer the wait for passports would be if they had passed the law for land and sea corssings too this year! It would be 3 years before we got our passports!!!

Well it would be possible but costly considering we have purchased four round trip tickets already - Calgary-Orlando.

Who would have guessed that allowing three times the standard wait time wouldn't be enough?

Are your tickets non-refundable? Is it a US airline you're flying with or Air Canada? If it is American, you can change your origin for a fee.

Have you heard from the Canadian Consulate? Call them today and you should hear from them on Monday....I just didn't receive the correct information from Hull/Ottawa each time I called it was something different. This is definatly a good option. Let me know!!!

I renewed my passport just before Christmas however I was able to drop off my application at the passport office in downtown Calgary. I paid an extra $10 expedite fee and was able to pick it up five business days later (Boxing Day was in there so it took one extra week day). I know the lines at the office were long but it was worth the effort to physically drop off the application and pick up the passport in person as we were travelling on Dec. 28th.

Don't know if you want to go through the hassle of driving down to Calgary and getting new passport documents but it may be worth considering?

What I would like to know is why you waited so long to get your passports? The news was around for almost a year that the changes were coming and by the number of cruises you were on it was obvious that sometime you might need a passport. Why complain now?

Originally passports were required for ALL cross border travel - but since then restrictions have been 'lightened' for children - if NOT travelling by air - eg. driving thru border crossings between US/Canada. I believe this is only temporary however and will eventually be changed back.

Froufie

When was this? I have been in Canada since '77 and have never needed a passport to cross the border. All they require is a birth certificate and picture id for adults, birth certificate for kids.

The wait time for passports here has only been 3 weeks, and don't they usually have you put down when your date of travel will be? Seems they should be trying to honour that.

I have a British passport and the rest of the family have Canadian passports. When we go to the States I don't show mine because there is an extra fee to pay if you don't have a Canadian passport. BTW my passport is good for 10 years, Canadian-5 years

What I would like to know is why you waited so long to get your passports? The news was around for almost a year that the changes were coming and by the number of cruises you were on it was obvious that sometime you might need a passport. Why complain now?

This is a bit harsh :(

As you know our passports cost almost $90 for a 5 year term. Our family of 5 just renewed and it cost me over $500 inc. pick up fees etc.

The annoying thing is that I can't use a 5 year passport for the full 5 years as it has to be valid for 6 months after your travel date. Our passports expired in July 07 yet we had to renew in early 07 due to time delays for our June cruise, even though the passports would have been valid for a month after our return to Canada from our upcoming cruise.

I understand that we don't need a passport to cross the border by car and fly out from the US.

I would recommend that you go to your passport office for assistance in person. The manager there requested our passports be returned from Gatineau and then they were processed in the office and we had them in a week from start to finish.

Best of Luck :)

Archived