Do restaurants in Venice need reservations for dinner like in Paris?

The need for a reservation depends on the time of the year and the restaurant. Right now, i.e. in the peak of hot summer months, there are many day tourist but less overnight guests in Venice. Thus you have quite a good chance to get a table even in the better restaurants without reseservation. You might just stroll around and see where you like it if you are ready for a second trial. Nevetheless if you fancy a specific restaurant or e.g. a specific view or a table right at the canale grande I recommend a reservation.

We have only one experience in Venice as an overnight stop on the Splendour of the Seas when seh was still doing the 12 night itinerary.

We had decided to skip the ships dinner and try a place we had seen earlier in the day. The restaurant has a view of the Rialto Bridge and is right on the water. Maybe we were just lucky but we had no problem getting a table for 4. Our table wasn't right on the water but all the views are wonderful and you're right out on the sidewalk - in a tented area. It was wonderful! Don't miss the chance to dine outside at night in Venice! I wish I could remember the name - maybe someone else can help. It has a big green awning and about 50 yards from the bridge on the west side of the Canal....

We were in Venice in late May so that may make a difference in your experience.

Ahhh. The Cipriani! This is one of the few restaurants (Harry's would be another) where a reservation might be a good idea. You can contact them through their web site of just e-mail your request to info@hotelcipriani.it . Please post the details of your dinner..since your idea sounds wonderfully romantic.

Hank

The nicer restaurants not only may require reservations but a few years ago I was asked to put on a pair of Pants( I was wearing shorts). We found alot of the better (reviewed) restaurants were closed for summer vacation

Jeff

Archived