Let's Talk Fooood!!!!!!

If you have never tried the West Indies Pumpkin soup..give it a go///My wife talked me into trying some she ordered and one bite and I had to have some of my own. It is not what you might think...just a really

tasty creamy soup.

Absolutly try the Pumpkin Soup! It's the best! There's a recipe in the Foodies Forum for it, but it's for 100 people. I haven't converted it down to normal numbers yet and made it.

I like the escargot. Seriously! It was really good. I also liked the lobster in the dining room. Get a DOUBLE meat pastrami reuben! OH MY GOODNESS! :p

I heard the fish and chips were really good, but haven't been on a ship that had them. Their jerked chicken in the buffet is terrible! So were the Eggs Benedict! Yuck. I like my eggs benedict with the Hollandaise Sauce flowing off the eggs like a warm yellow blanket of goodness and the eggs with a runny yolk. The yolks were hard and the sauce was baked on. :( Didn't care for the pizza as everything was piled on in the middle and it had a 5" outside crust.. The bagles in room service are sent to you un-toasted. I guess you have to ask for it to be toasted. The smoked salmon was GREAT. The sushi bar was different. Nothing was really raw. California Rolls with the imitation crab and smoked salmon was used as opposed to the raw salmon. I guess it cuts down on people getting sick.. I'm a diabetic and I didn't eat the sweets so I can't give my opinion on them, but they sure looked good! I had to eat the sugar free cake and it was just ok..Nothing to write home about. It just makes me sad when the wife is eating some chocolatey gooey dripping thing and I'm eating something blah..

On our sea day, there was a midnight Mexican party with Jamacian singers :confused: and the guacamole was outstanding. We were stuffed!

We ate so much food! *oink*

2nd time cruising, 1st was free style, next week dining with Carnival.

I have changed my dinner time from early to late, do I head to the restaurant on embark day to confirm the late seating and while im there do I see where Im sitting? Is there a board with passengers name on it?

Formal night, I think there are 2 formal nights. I dont like lobster or duck, can I still order a steak and chicken.

What I hate is when someone at the dinner table goes on and on about how they have to stick to their diet and hardly eats a bite and tells you she was so good today. She didn't have breakfast or lunch and now for dinner she is only having a small salad. And looks at all the rest of us like we are a bunch of pigs. Good for you. I am on a cruise and all bets are off! I usually diet a couple months before a cruise and the last thing I want to do on a cruise is diet! Look at all the yummy choices we have here. I have cruise over 20 times and ate whatever I wanted and PIGGED out on desserts and never gained a pound. With all the swimming and walking and dancing it was all good. Eat Enjoy. You are on vacation! :)

2nd time cruising, 1st was free style, next week dining with Carnival.

I have changed my dinner time from early to late, do I head to the restaurant on embark day to confirm the late seating and while im there do I see where Im sitting? Is there a board with passengers name on it?

Formal night, I think there are 2 formal nights. I dont like lobster or duck, can I still order a steak and chicken.

I would go see the Maitre'D on embark day and confirm it was changed and if you have a special requirement for seating he/she can usually accomadate it as long as space permits.

As to steak (not sure about chicken) you can order it every night if you like. Also usually four or five different entrees to choose from plus the steaks on lobster or duck night.

Have a great cruise.:D

I would go see the Maitre'D on embark day and confirm it was changed and if you have a special requirement for seating he/she can usually accomadate it as long as space permits.

As to steak (not sure about chicken) you can order it every night if you like. Also usually four or five different entrees to choose from plus the steaks on lobster or duck night.

Have a great cruise.:D

TY Steve, what do you mean by special requirement , like no kids at the table, Can I also review a better table, something with a view...Of course if available.

Lamb! Make mine lamb. Never make it at home and so I order it whenever it's available on a cruise. It's all good!:)

Oh you should try it at home ! Either get a leg of lamb,(the butcher will make it into a crown for you), lamb chops or little lamb medallions. Than all you need is EVO, Coarse Salt, Peper, Garlic & Rosemary. I love lamb !

I have changed my dinner time from early to late, ........

Hi Tomeboy, and welcome to Carnival.:) When you make a request for your dining assignment through your booking agent, that's what it is - a request. (Only Platinum-status passenger can choose their actual dining assignment.)

IF, after boarding, you see on your Sail & Sign card that this isn't what you want, see the Maitre d' and request a change. (When you first get to your cabin, there will be a copy of the "Capers", the ship's daily newsletter. In there will be the time and place to see the Maitre d' for requests for changes.) He will try to do that for you.

Any night on Carnival ships, if you don't see something that interests you on the menu, you can have filet mignon or grilled/baked chicken breast, Caesar salad, and baked potato. Just ask your waiter.:)

Cotton, I have never seen filet mignon offered on the alternative menu! I think it's strip steak. The caesar salad is reallly good. I order that every night. And usually formal night has lobster tails AND prime rib. I always order both ;) There are so many varied selections. Don't worry about going hungy at dinner!

Cotton, I have never seen filet mignon offered on the alternative menu! I think it's strip steak. !

On the Conquest one night, I was having a hard time deciding what I wanted as an entree. The waiter suggested a filet mignon or grilled chicken breast. I passed on that, but it WAS offered.:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow, I just for the first time noticed that there was a "Cruise Foodies" category on the message boards! Sweet!

I've enjoyed the cruiselines' foods and presentations so much over the past years that I became a charteryacht chef about a year ago. Everyday when I get up, I look forward to spending the day in the galley re-creating some of those dishes and coming up with some of my own...like today...just perfected Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream. I never thought when I started collecting some of their menus where that might take me in life.

Thanks to a fellow forum member who posted the recipe for Melting Chocolate Cake, I'm going to try that and perhaps add it to my menu!

Cheers!

Ang

• 3 years later...

The last time we cruised was before "Speciality Resturants". What is everyone's opinion. Are they worth. I get the feeling that the cruise lines are setting up for "class cruising".

Blankshooter

Zenith 2000

Centruey 1998

Sovereign of the Seas 1995

Seaward 1993

This is an old thread, but times are a changing and so may peoples appetites.

On the Lido, I love the chicken tenders that you can get at the burger line, and I love the honey mustard there, but I get a plate, go to the salad bar, load up on lettuce, (but not the honey mustard at the salad bar, it's very weak:()then get the chicken tenders and then pour honey mustard all over my "salad" This fools me into thinking I am eating something healthy.;)

Breakfast in the MDR-two eggs fried DEAD:eek:, corned beef hash and an english muffin:)

Dessert-Bitter and Blanc:D

Lunch(if I can eat there I will) the sandwich advertised as a sun dried tomato baquette, what they aren't saying is that it is stuffed with crab and shrimp salad.) WOW:)

Dinner, well if my stomach could stomach it, escargot, pumpkin soup, lobster and prime rib, with a side of Ribs, and Black Forest Cake....now that would be a meal......not healthy.....nut a great meal!

I just LOVE the West Indian Pumpkin Soup and also the Smoked Duck with Carmelized Oranges! I could have either of these apps for a meal anytime!

I'm not a fry person, but I do quite enjoy the fries on the Lido deck....yummy!

• 3 months later...

has anyone ever noticed the guy working the pizza place always seems to have an attidude problem?? five cruises and i remember that being the case on all of them.

Yes, they are all miserable, its like they hate pizza or something:eek:

The last time we cruised was before "Speciality Resturants". What is everyone's opinion. Are they worth. I get the feeling that the cruise lines are setting up for "class cruising".

Blankshooter

Zenith 2000

Centruey 1998

Sovereign of the Seas 1995

Seaward 1993

We love the speciality restaurants -- especially the Tamarind on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam.

Glad you brought up this old thread.

has anyone ever noticed the guy working the pizza place always seems to have an attidude problem?? five cruises and i remember that being the case on all of them.

Yes, they are all miserable, its like they hate pizza or something:eek:

On HAL -- I think they have an attitude problem because they don't like being around the hot oven all day.

• 1 year later...

We loved the pear bisque on the Monarch of the Seas. Don't remember much of the other food--it was our first cruise--but we still make that wonderful pear bisque at home.

I lost 6 pounds on the Carnival Inspiration, going around Panama. I don't know if that has anything to do with the food, but I didn't like their creamy fruit soups very much. Or the desserts. One can only eat so much chocolate melting cake before getting sick. I ate sherbet almost every night for dessert. I think my Dearest enjoyed ordering steak for dessert after having seafood for dinner, though. ;)

Somehow I got addicted to their ghastly strawberry soft serve ice cream that tastes like amoxocillin...I would only fill my cone up to the brim, but I would eat 2 or 3 of those little cones every day! I can't explain it at all. It tasted terrible, but I still crave that stuff.

Archived