dining on HAL when traveling solo - questions

europe4fun

For anyone who has traveled solo on HAL...

1) Did HAL make an effort to seat you at a table with other solo travelers (the way Celebrity, Carnival, etc. do)?

2) If the answer above is no, did they make an effort to at least seat you at a table with couples in your age group?

I've sailed solo many times in the last few years---and always ask for a large table. There's been some variation in the tablemates. Sometimes it was all singles, other times there's been a couple and singles, sometimes there's two single women or two single men travelling together. I prefer when it's mixed up a bit.

As far as ages go, I seem always to be with people in my age range---but I can get along with almost anyone of good will regardless of how old/young they are.

Thanks Ruth - it sounds like they do try and sit you with other singles based on your experience. Like you, I always request a large table as well. I'm so looking forward to experiencing the Veendam! Thanks again... :cool:

I'm wondering how they seat solo passengers for the new "anytime dining" HAL just seems to be starting? I'm waitlisted for traditional so I figure I have to be prepared for every contingency. Anyone who's experienced this know if they just seat you with others?

Hi!!

I just returned from the Maasdam sailing. I sailed solo on this cruise. Unlike my past two HAL cruisers, I was placed at a table with two families. I was worried about this at first, but everyone at the table got along so well. When I went to the solo lunch on the first sea day (I encourage you to go to meet other solo cruisers), two of the cruisers mentioned open space at their table and suggested that I change. But I stayed at my table and had a great time.

On my Oosterdam and Westerdam cruise, I was placed with all solo cruisers. I met so many great people on the Westerdam cruise at my table. In fact, one of my tablemates from the Westerdam cruise was on the Maasdam cruise.

Happy sailing

I've only cruised HAL solo once, but I always make the same dining requests - table for 6, age 50's or higher, NO CHILDREN.

When I cruise with another person, we're generally seated with other adult couples. On my solo cruise I was seated with 2 solo (gay men - didn't know each other), a solo female, and a mother/adult daughter traveling together.

I've only cruised HAL solo once, but I always make the same dining requests - table for 6, age 50's or higher, NO CHILDREN.

When I cruise with another person, we're generally seated with other adult couples. On my solo cruise I was seated with 2 solo men (gay - didn't know each other), a solo female, and a mother/adult daughter traveling together. Everybody was really nice, and got along well. I think the other solo female was really hoping 1 of the guys wasn't really gay, but he didn't hide that he was (and talked about his partner at home). However, they both enjoyed dancing and spent some time being dance partners for each other after dinner.

Just to clarify, I did request traditional dining, table for eight, late seating, but I'm waitlisted and not sure if that means I'll still end up in traditional or in the new anytime dining. If I end up in anytime dining, I'm not sure if HAL will seat me alone or with other passengers. Just wondering.

i always book a large table and have never had a problem sometimes itsd all solo passengers and sometimes its a few couples

i dont know how hal does it but it always seem to work out for me i always take the late seating that may be why i never feel rushed to finish dinner and if by chance no one shows up because of dining elsewhere the matred or dining roomm steward will stop by and caht to make me not feel alone but i am happy anyway just be to be able to cruise and see the world happy cruising to everyone

I've only cruised HAL solo one time (my upcoming Rotterdam cruise will also be solo) and I requested a table for 8 late seating, and I was with 5 solo travelers (a couple my age, a couple a little older) and a couple. We had a great table and I am still in touch with them!

One of the solo travelers wanted an earlier seating, so when we had an opening we were joined by an officer on formal nights, which was a nice treat.

The solo lunches are also nice, too.

The only request I had when I cruised solo was to be seated at a large table, and this was always done. No one was my age (mid-twenties), but that's to be expected. Still, I always found that the majority of my tablemates were fantastic people to have met, regardless of age.

Archived