One day at Denali Princess

elkruiser

We're booked on a 10 day NB cruise tour which I now know is foolish. When we disembark we will be on the train from 7:15 am to 2pm then at Mc Kinley Princess lodge. I'm looking into an excursion friom Talkeetna that drops you off at the lodge. The next day (ugh) : train from 10 - 4 to Denali Princess then Natural History Tour from 5 - 10 - what about dinner? Last day : bus to Fairbanks 9 - noon then Riverboat tour 1:30 - 6. Fly out next day. Since we are part of a large group we cannot adjust our times. Our portion of the group is 7 people from age 9 - 90. I'm thinking of just cancelling the NHT and relaxing at Denali lodge since everyone will be tired of sitting for several hours on the train and wount want to go on a bus for several hours too. Any thoughts as to how to maximize this timy time we have?

Princess runs several shuttles to the McKinley lodge from Talkeetna. No tour operator is going to provide this unless it is a Princess tour. You are 50 miles away.

I would not go to the lodge when you get there. Instead spend the day in Talkeetna rather than back and forth on a bus for 100 miles. Your bags are handled separately and will be delivered to your room.

You can have dinner when you return from the NHT, not really much time before, unless you run to Subway or Bubbs Subs outside of the Princess Lodge. Maybe the best option to send a couple of your party there to purchase for all. You do get a "snack", but hardly a meal.

If you are not going to take the NHT, by all means get a refund. Request this from your booking agent first, then if no success, the tour department at Princess.

We're booked on a 10 day NB cruise tour which I now know is foolish. When we disembark we will be on the train from 7:15 am to 2pm then at Mc Kinley Princess lodge. I'm looking into an excursion friom Talkeetna that drops you off at the lodge. The next day (ugh) : train from 10 - 4 to Denali Princess then Natural History Tour from 5 - 10 - what about dinner? Last day : bus to Fairbanks 9 - noon then Riverboat tour 1:30 - 6. Fly out next day. Since we are part of a large group we cannot adjust our times. Our portion of the group is 7 people from age 9 - 90. I'm thinking of just cancelling the NHT and relaxing at Denali lodge since everyone will be tired of sitting for several hours on the train and wount want to go on a bus for several hours too. Any thoughts as to how to maximize this timy time we have?

If it were me, I would do the resting at the McKinley Lodge, cancel the NHT and book a shuttle bus into Denali. Just my thoughts.

Princess runs several shuttles to the McKinley lodge from Talkeetna. No tour operator is going to provide this unless it is a Princess tour. You are 50 miles away.

I would not go to the lodge when you get there. Instead spend the day in Talkeetna rather than back and forth on a bus for 100 miles. Your bags are handled separately and will be delivered to your room.

I'm on the same schedule as elkruiser, am I right to assume that once we're dropped off at Talkeetna, we're free to do what we wish, and take any of the shuttles to McKinley?

As I'm not too familiar with the geographic location of each of the stops, Talkeetna, McKinley, Denali. It looks like the schedule involves a lot of train/shuttle time. Whats there to do at the Mt McKinley Lodge? Is it just a place to sleep for the night?

When we arrive in Talkeetna on a Princess cruisetour, do we have an option to spend some time there before going to the McKinley lodge? Do we have to book a tour to get a later shuttle to the lodge? Anyone with experience in this would be a great help.

Oh, you poor dear thing. You sound so sad and already disappointed about your cruisetour. WHY? The Denali and McKinley Princesses are both very nice accomodations and the train ride is beautiful. I can understand that you might not want to sit on a train and then on a bus but doesn't sitting on a bus looking for wildlife and enjoying the magnificent scenery in Denali beat sitting in a lodge? Granted the Denali Princess is lovely but still.... Why do you feel foolish? Because you picked a cruisetour and didn't plan it yourself?

I planned my third trip to Alaska all by myself. I'm taking a cruisetour. It's my second one. The first was with Princess and now on Celebrity. My husband doesn't have to drive anywhere. We don't argue about what time to do what and where to go and what to do when we get there. I don't have to rent anything, carry anything, or drive anything except a dog sled. I can customize my experience as I like with side excursions or not.

Please don't let this magnificent adventure be spoiled and stop feeling foolish. (And the McKinley Princess makes a great Chocolate Moose Martini that can be enjoyed from their open deck....)

Yes, in the past, you could stay in Talkeenta upon train arrival. It is worthwhile if of interest.

Princess does run shuttles back and forth. I've seen them into evening. They should offer you the schedule at some point.

No one is calling anyone or thinking anyone foolish- but I blame the descriptions for being too vague. No where is the timeframe mentioned until you have purchased and getting final documents. Many people think the Denali Princess and McKinley Princess are the same location allowing them into Denali National Park. There are few activities available from the McKinley lodge.

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruisetour and it was the highlight for you. But there can be a lot of surprises for others who have different ideas on how they think their tour is and disappointed in finding out.

The OP says:

We're booked on a 10 day NB cruise tour which I now know is foolish.

My question is why? In my opinion' date=' this is a somewhat unfortunate feeling from which to be starting.[/quote']

Yes- I was making a general comment. It sounds like, the tour descriptions were not enough information perhaps, of which I definately agree. This is a costly trip and coming from another perspective, I see problems all the time with these cruisetours not meeting expectations- like the brochure photos and itineraries. :)

From posts, you can see, people had no idea about the times in transit, distance into Denali Park, meals not included on the land portion, locations etc. This is all after they are locked into the tour purchase, with it difficult to change. My only point- is, that it can be very beneficial to do your homework, no matter how you travel. And tour in the way that is right for you.

I wish I had found out about these boards BEFORE booking the cruisetour is what I meant by feeling foolish. I now know there are soooo many wonderful options out there. It took me over 10 calls to different princess numbers before they could give me train times so I could plan the excurisions at the lodges and now I feel I won't be able to do what I want. I am thrilled about this overall experience and now view it as my practice land tour so that I may plan my own land portion next time. And there will be a next time.

I wish I had found out about these boards BEFORE booking the cruisetour is what I meant by feeling foolish. I now know there are soooo many wonderful options out there. It took me over 10 calls to different princess numbers before they could give me train times so I could plan the excurisions at the lodges and now I feel I won't be able to do what I want. I am thrilled about this overall experience and now view it as my practice land tour so that I may plan my own land portion next time. And there will be a next time.

Don't beat yourself too bad. It is a common mistake. Look at it this way - you found out well BEFORE you went on the cruisetour and can make the most of it. My suggestions:

1) stay in Talkeetna before going to the McKinley Princess lodge. Or, if you use this as your rest time, head to the lodge and rest. If you stay in Talkeetna, find out when you can get to the McKinley Princess Lodge through their shuttles. You can do some good flightseeing from Talkeetna. If nothing else, a nice walking tour of the town would be great with dinner in Talkeetna. I have in my notes to look for Latitudes to eat at. Last time I was there was late morning/lunch time and we ate at the Talkeetna Roadhouse which was also excellent. They do great breakfasts.

2) rest on the train from Talkeetna to Denali and try to take the shuttle bus to Polychrome which is mile 46 (when are you going? If in May, this won't work). This goes 6-11pm and it will be a long day but in my opinion will be worth it. You just need to be sure you have food and water with you before you get on the bus. If you can't get it in Talkeetna or at the Denali Lodge, you can either look for Subway near the Denali Princess Lodge or both the Wilderness Access and Visitor Center at Denali NP have light snacks/sandwiches you can buy to bring with you.

You will need to work out your transportation back to the Denali Princess Lodge at 11pm but it is still light out if you are there in June/July. Make friends on the bus who have a car, check out the lodge's schedule before you head into the park, or walk back (a good mile walk from other posts on this board).

Make the most of it and you will enjoy it. Then go back another time at your own pace.

Archived