Which Ruins?

Sunny AZ Girl

We will be visiting both Costa Maya and Cozumel in May 2005 on RCI's Explorer of the Seas. DH wants to see the Mayan Ruins. Due to the distances involved I would like to stay with the ship's excursions. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which excursions are the best with the most dramatic ruins?

Ginny

There are two possible ruin trips from the Costa Maya. One is a half-day trip to Chacchoben, a nice site but "controlled" in the fact that you can not climb any of the ruins. This is to protect their sacred nature. This can be seen in a half-day trip. Here is a link on my web site to information on Chacchoben http://www.mayanbeachgarden.com/chacchoban.html

However, the best one to visit is Kohunlich. you will LOVE it. Here is a link to my web site that information about Kohunlich. http://www.mayanbeachgarden.com/Kohunlich.html

Have fun!

We are on a Clebrity Cruise and will book through the cruise line. The Kohunlich tour is 7 hours. Could someone tell me how much time the tourists spend actually at the ruins?

Likewise, the Chacchoben tour which is 4 hours, how much time is spent at the ruins site?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I was in Costa Maya last week, and did the Chacchoben ruins with the ship. It was about an hour bus ride(very comfortable bus) each way and about 2 hours there. We were able to go on some on the ruins. You have a guide that takes you through and explains all the different parts. We did the morning tour which was nice because it was not too hot and we were back on the ship for lunch. Most of the walk through is in the shade also. I have not been to the kohunlich ruins, but my understanding was that the bus ride was about 3 hours each way. I was very happy with my choice.

I was in Costa Maya just before Christmas last year and did the Chachoben ruins. The ride to the ruins was very enlightening to my 16 year old daughter. You ride through what appears to be some very poor areas. We saw many young children selling pineapples along the side of the road. Our tour guide was from the area and really gave us insight into their culture. We had at least a couple of hour at the ruins which was really plenty for us. Our guide led us through the site pointing out and explaining everything. We were originally scheduled for the full day tour, but were very happy with our decision to cut back to the 4 hour tour.

Archived