Ship Shops (Is That a Tongue Twister!)

zorrosuncle

Greetings -- Does anyone know anything about the shops found on HAL ships? Are they "High-End"? I'm looking for a good purchase -- perhaps a watch. Are prices in Euros or Dollars or some other currency?

Zorrosuncle (Zorro is a cat!)

It depends what ship you are on as to how extensive the shops are. My mom bought a pretty expensive watch on the Zuiderdam a few years ago, but found the selection on the Maasdam to be somewhat smaller.

I can't remember which brand names they carry in terms of watches, but I know that TAG isn't one of them.

The HAL ships shops are not usually what one would call "High End", with the exception of the Jewelry Shop. I honestly don't remember what most of the Jewelry Shops stock in the way of watches but on the 2007 GWV, aboard the Amsterdam, they have a large selection of watches for sale, and I'm guessing that they are "High End" and expensive. I didn't pay that much attention since I am addicted (?) to my 25-year old Gucci watch which, needless to say, has done Yeoman's duty over the years. However, I'm guessing that you might well have a great selection to choose from.

The prices are in U.S. dollars.

Good luck, and I hope that you find a watch that is as reliable and enjoyable as my old timepiece is.

Valerie:)

I think there is much room for improvement in the quality and selection of the merchandise offered for sale in the Shops on Board HAL ships.

I can't specifically say which brands of watches they sell as we never look at them on board.

We have been disappointed with just about everything in the shops in recent years.

The shops have really gone down hill the last few years since HAL switched vendors. There is a lot of junk there - JMO.

If you have something in mind, check it out in your jewlery shop at home - get style and price. Then see if they have it on the ship and compare prices. You may or may not get a good deal.

But there's a lot of cheap sparkly stuff ... and who isn't drawn in by sparkly stuff?

My favorite on the pre-holiday cruises: the multi-item packages, like a watch, wallet, keyring and pen. They sell for something like 2pkgs for $50 ... I like to joke that you can buy four holiday presents for some $25. Always careful not to make those jokes when crew are checking out the goods, as I recognize their situation is different from mine.

If your cruise happens to be going to the Caribbean, you will get a better selection and better prices in such islands as St Thomas, Aruba, Curacao. The ships hold sales some days but the prices then are only what they should be before they put them on sale.

Over the past few years the quality of the products in the ship shops has deteriorated, most being flea market finds! Dh found great watch bargains in St Maarten and other Caribbean ports.

I don't remember seeing any name brand watches on our Westerdam cruise last month - just junk.

It depends what ship you are on as to how extensive the shops are. My mom bought a pretty expensive watch on the Zuiderdam a few years ago, but found the selection on the Maasdam to be somewhat smaller.

I can't remember which brand names they carry in terms of watches, but I know that TAG isn't one of them.

Actually they do carry Tag Heuer and Tissot watches as their high end watches. They also carry Seiko, Citizen, Citizen Eco-Drive, ESQ, DKNY, Anne Klein, Guess and a few other brands. Yes I know this because Tom and I are sort of watch fanatics.:D We both own numerous watches. Tom prefers his Rolex and Tags, where I am a bit more conservative. I have several Citizen Eco Drives, 3 to be exact and have purchased them all on the ships. One is 4 years old and still works great. I bought that on the Zuiderdam in April 2003. I also own a very nice Tag although it was not purchased on the ship. We always look thru the watches on the ship. I think their prices are fairly good although sometimes you can find them on-line a bit cheaper but then you have to pay shipping and you don't actually see the watch. I have always been very pleased with the Citizen watches and the ship's prices.

I have also bought some very nice jewelry that I thought was very nice. One of my favorite pair of diamond hoop earrings were purchased on the Oosterdam in 2005.

Also their Swarovski costume jewelry is priced fairly low but they are discontinued / retired items from Swarovski. Granted the stores are not like going to your local Mall but over all they are not terrible.

I think there is much room for improvement in the quality and selection of the merchandise offered for sale in the Shops on Board HAL ships.

I can't specifically say which brands of watches they sell as we never look at them on board.

We have been disappointed with just about everything in the shops in recent years.

I have to agree with this and with Krazy. These shops leave a lot to be desired. I think you might find a deal now and then but really they don't do a very good job at keeping up with other shops in the ports or online deals. I looked at a watch in the shop once and then went online while still on the boat and found it for $150 less and they offered free shipping.

I was on the Statendam last year for 5 weeks, I looked most days, but never found anything I really felt I had to have. I think a lot of the stuff as one person has already said c-r-a-p.. However, I really got to love the staff on board who operated the shops, and had heaps of fun with them on a daily basis. I could not afford the high end stuff, I would have just loved to buy a solid gold necklace. Can't have everything I guess :D

Archived