What do you consider a "good deal"?

fatcat04

AHHHHHH!! Y'all are giving me the cruise itch!! All this talk abt good deals... it is driving me mad I tell you, MAD!! :D

But I can't book next years cruise on the Costa Med yet as our plans are not finalized. Don't know if my parents are going with us or not or what hubbies convention schedule is yet. Boo hoo... just gotta keep dreamin'.

My question....

I am a complete amateur at this cruise booking stuff. Y'all are talking abt "good deals" and I am trying to figure out what a good price would be on a panoramic suite on the Med for an Eastern Carib cruise next year. What is your idea of a "good deal" when booking several months out? Also, do you find your best deals on Costa's site or with a TA?

I have no reference because we booked our March 07 cruise on the Med in Feb 07 (totally last minute) and got what I considered a really good deal at $899 per adult and $350 for the kid for a midship panoramic suite.

When I called the TA, I was going to just book a verandah cabin on the cruise ($599 per adult) but TA just about jumped out of her chair when she saw the suite rates so I got the idea that that was a really good deal and booked it. Glad I did too... the suite was well... sweet. We felt quite spoiled. :)

Those are great prices for the Caribbean; I would look for similar prices as long as your sailing in the off season (as you did before). Any TA can get your the prices on Costa's website. Also if the price drops any good TA can easily call Costa and get you credit. I would find a travel agent who is used to dealing with Costa on some level to ensure you can get refunds if there is a price drop.

Those are great prices for the Caribbean; I would look for similar prices as long as your sailing in the off season (as you did before). Any TA can get your the prices on Costa's website. Also if the price drops any good TA can easily call Costa and get you credit. I would find a travel agent who is used to dealing with Costa on some level to ensure you can get refunds if there is a price drop.

WOW :eek:.... I didn't even know that was possible. I just assumed it was like an airline.. once they got your $$, tough cheese.

So, it is possible that if you booked an off season cruise (in the Carib, what is off season??) 7 or 8 months out and the price dropped a couple month s before the cruise, you can get some sort of credit? Is it like a refund or a ship board credit? Do you have to be paid in full up front for that to happen or can you do the deposit and payment thing and still be eligible?

As you can see, I know absolutely NOTHING abt booking cruises. Now Disney I am an expert on but cruises, completely clueless :)

We are traveling on the Med Christmas week and got a rate o 1099pp for a Pan Suite which I though was great...even better when we were upgraded to a Grand Suite. The prices for the holiday cruises seem to be double what the regular rates are.

Yes you can do it with the deposit/full payment. In fact I'm told its easier to get a credit before you pay in full, but I haven't had a problem getting something back. If you have a good TA you usually don't have much problem getting a credit. Sometimes if its a last minute price reduction they will offer ship credit or free room upgrades. It depends on the cruise line and if your TA knows the right office to call.

Actually, some airlines will even credit you in some situations where your fare drops on the exact date and time your flying. I was just talking to my Aunt who works in a UAL call center.

The off season is generally November to early Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar,April. May and Sep is a shoulder season. Parts of March may swell for the spring break crowd, and if you are cruising around Christmas you can usually find some deals.

I booked my Costa Magica cruise last December when I got an email from them offering a $299.00 per person inside room and also a special kids sail for free deal. My cruise will begin on 4/29. So if you do go on a cruise..no matter what line you choose, join the club of that line. I am in all of the cruise clubs and get amazing prices mailed or emailed to me almost daily. Once I choose the cruise I want I call my TA and book it. Also sometimes he has a large group going somewhere that I want to go and ask him if there is room for 2 more passengers and I book his group trip. It is usually more expensive but we always get our money's worth and have an excellent cruise.

Archived